Lowe and Mayor | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe and Mayor

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
He gets us playing high up the pitch. Moore supplied the cross for Jephcott agains Swindon, but Mayor was instrumental in the goal with his build up play and hiding onto it until we were up the pitch and in position.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
GreenThing":1p0nbxwd said:
He gets us playing high up the pitch. Moore supplied the cross for Jephcott agains Swindon, but Mayor was instrumental in the goal with his build up play and hiding onto it until we were up the pitch and in position.

Phew. Someone else watching the same game as me

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":vjezoyhg said:

Says something that you can remember a specific assist(or assist to an assist). Suggests there aren't that many, whatever Mayor's merits.

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":v0qm9v5m said:
davie nine":v0qm9v5m said:
Shoenice":v0qm9v5m said:
I always find it strange when people say Mayor is the man linking up the play before providing the ball to the actual assister of the goal etc.

They choose to completely ignore the fact that since Mayor has been at Argyle he has been in countless advanced positions inside the box approaching from wide - but consistently fails to deliver. You would think that Mayor doesn't cross the halfway line the way some folk on here try to go on about his style. Since he's been at Argyle, he is always in and around the box, doing his trademark weaving in from the wide position into the box and often onto the edge of the 6 yard box (in addition to driving from deep), but he just fails to produce anything from it all. I get bored watching him do the same thing over and over again. He doesn't appear good enough to actually beat a defender and then score a goal or do anything of note. The better the defender he comes up against, he struggles to even beat them.

Mayor is wonderful to watch but so is Hatem Ben Arfa, and he's at Bordeaux when he should really have been at Barcelona. Granted he should be playing in the team, but the hype from some is ridiculous and I do think for a number of reasons it would be beneficial to occasionally drop him.

Another thing I've noticed are fans on here saying that people are suggesting that because he doesn't deliver goals/assists, it makes him a poor player. I don't think anyone has directly said that :eh:. However, you expect an attacking midfielder who has been billed as the main man to produce the goods - and he doesn't. I don't think there are many attacking midfield players out there who arrive with his kind of profile to a club, and deliver next to nothing in terms of numbers. That's what attacking midfield players are judged on.

Noone is saying he is a poor player because of his lack of end product, just that he's not anywhere near as good as made out to be, and quite honestly for what he produces, he's very lucky to be in the undroppable situation he finds himself in with Lowe. I can't help but think that fans cut him extra slack because what he does is a bit more exciting than a midfielder passing sideways for 90 minutes, or a defender passing square and back for 90 minutes. What I mean by that is he spends so much time in the game, twisting in and out with the ball but achieving nothing, dribbling around and actually often getting nowhere, or trying to beat a man but finding himself cornered with 2 defenders now cornering him etc etc

If he was at a club with better resources in this league, think the likes of Peterborough, Sunderland, Charlton etc I think he would struggle to be a regular week in week out. Don't underestimate the quality of players they have in their ranks. Think players like Toney, Maddison, Jonny Williams, Will Grigg, Aiden McGeady etc etc Heck, I don't think MacFadzean has even had a sniff at Sunderland yet (granted he had little pre-season of course). But still, I think people are hugely overestimating Mayor on the whole. He has a lovely touch and wonderful skill, but that's really about it. There's lots of players out there with that and more.
I am convinced that Danny Mayor is a valuable player to the style that Argyle play.
However, I do find it very difficult to challenge a lot of the points that you are making.
The thing that intrigues me most is the fact that, in his last season at Bury, he scored 8 goals and provided 9 direct assists. It would be very interesting to see a collage of those positive contributions and try to understand what has changed.
Is he playing in a less attacking role, is he missing a colleague who enabled him to get into positions that make it appear that he was more successful at Bury?
I would imagine that RL and SS have tried to find the answer but, in the meantime, no one will convince me that he is not still a major asset to our club.
Nobody will convince me Mayor is a major asset until he lives up to expectations.

Again, oldage, nobody has to convince you that Danny Mayor is a major asset. He's the first name on the teamsheet so it's you who has to convince Ryan Lowe that DM isn't a major asset.

Let us know how you get on.

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":3op4pq0t said:
oldage":3op4pq0t said:
davie nine":3op4pq0t said:
Shoenice":3op4pq0t said:
I always find it strange when people say Mayor is the man linking up the play before providing the ball to the actual assister of the goal etc.

They choose to completely ignore the fact that since Mayor has been at Argyle he has been in countless advanced positions inside the box approaching from wide - but consistently fails to deliver. You would think that Mayor doesn't cross the halfway line the way some folk on here try to go on about his style. Since he's been at Argyle, he is always in and around the box, doing his trademark weaving in from the wide position into the box and often onto the edge of the 6 yard box (in addition to driving from deep), but he just fails to produce anything from it all. I get bored watching him do the same thing over and over again. He doesn't appear good enough to actually beat a defender and then score a goal or do anything of note. The better the defender he comes up against, he struggles to even beat them.

Mayor is wonderful to watch but so is Hatem Ben Arfa, and he's at Bordeaux when he should really have been at Barcelona. Granted he should be playing in the team, but the hype from some is ridiculous and I do think for a number of reasons it would be beneficial to occasionally drop him.

Another thing I've noticed are fans on here saying that people are suggesting that because he doesn't deliver goals/assists, it makes him a poor player. I don't think anyone has directly said that :eh:. However, you expect an attacking midfielder who has been billed as the main man to produce the goods - and he doesn't. I don't think there are many attacking midfield players out there who arrive with his kind of profile to a club, and deliver next to nothing in terms of numbers. That's what attacking midfield players are judged on.

Noone is saying he is a poor player because of his lack of end product, just that he's not anywhere near as good as made out to be, and quite honestly for what he produces, he's very lucky to be in the undroppable situation he finds himself in with Lowe. I can't help but think that fans cut him extra slack because what he does is a bit more exciting than a midfielder passing sideways for 90 minutes, or a defender passing square and back for 90 minutes. What I mean by that is he spends so much time in the game, twisting in and out with the ball but achieving nothing, dribbling around and actually often getting nowhere, or trying to beat a man but finding himself cornered with 2 defenders now cornering him etc etc

If he was at a club with better resources in this league, think the likes of Peterborough, Sunderland, Charlton etc I think he would struggle to be a regular week in week out. Don't underestimate the quality of players they have in their ranks. Think players like Toney, Maddison, Jonny Williams, Will Grigg, Aiden McGeady etc etc Heck, I don't think MacFadzean has even had a sniff at Sunderland yet (granted he had little pre-season of course). But still, I think people are hugely overestimating Mayor on the whole. He has a lovely touch and wonderful skill, but that's really about it. There's lots of players out there with that and more.
I am convinced that Danny Mayor is a valuable player to the style that Argyle play.
However, I do find it very difficult to challenge a lot of the points that you are making.
The thing that intrigues me most is the fact that, in his last season at Bury, he scored 8 goals and provided 9 direct assists. It would be very interesting to see a collage of those positive contributions and try to understand what has changed.
Is he playing in a less attacking role, is he missing a colleague who enabled him to get into positions that make it appear that he was more successful at Bury?
I would imagine that RL and SS have tried to find the answer but, in the meantime, no one will convince me that he is not still a major asset to our club.
Nobody will convince me Mayor is a major asset until he lives up to expectations.

Again, oldage, nobody has to convince you that Danny Mayor is a major asset. He's the first name on the teamsheet so it's you who has to convince Ryan Lowe that DM isn't a major asset.

Let us know how you get on.
I am not trying to convince RL or anybody else. For the umpteenth time, it's my opinion that's all. He is a good player ,no doubt about it, It's the persistent hero worshipping from some that I do not understand.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":nxjx6zgv said:
GreenThing":nxjx6zgv said:

Says something that you can remember a specific assist(or assist to an assist). Suggests there aren't that many, whatever Mayor's merits.

It suggests that I watched the match.

Oct 5, 2013
GreenThing":34en7ggx said:
Balham_Green":34en7ggx said:
GreenThing":34en7ggx said:

Well said.
RL watches the matches too, and then probably again on replays, so he knows what’s going on, even if some others don’t.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":fkz18bmq said:
Balham_Green":fkz18bmq said:
GreenThing":fkz18bmq said:

Only match you watched then? If its the only example you can come up with?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1y2l13x8 said:
GreenThing":1y2l13x8 said:
Balham_Green":1y2l13x8 said:
GreenThing":1y2l13x8 said:

Hardie missed an open goal (not that it was an open goal, but that’s a different discussion), is that the only example you can come up with to prove he’s crap?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Balham_Green":2ysj4jps said:
GreenThing":2ysj4jps said:

There was also the cross field pass from Mayor to Cooper who crossed for Moore to score against Burton.

Oct 5, 2013
Suggest we all watch Mayor and his movements closely in today’s match (as much as can be done on the screen), and hopefully some will get a better idea of what his total contribution is to our play.
There are those who don’t seem to have much of an appreciation of this, perhaps because they’re always watching the ball.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":1ygtwmjr said:
Suggest we all watch Mayor closely in today’s match (as much as can be done on the screen), and hopefully some will get a better idea of what his total contribution is to our play.
Many don’t seem to have much of an appreciation of this, perhaps because they’re only ever watching the ball.

well you don't have much choice with 1 camera!!

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":3vaujlen said:
Balham_Green":3vaujlen said:
Balham_Green":3vaujlen said:

Hardie missed an open goal (not that it was an open goal, but that’s a different discussion), is that the only example you can come up with to prove he’s crap?

Well since you ask. Through 1 on1 earlier in the game and missed. Missed another sitter at Charlton when set up by their defender. Hit the bar at Orient from close range. Lets hope he doesn't play today. Wouldn't mind so much if his all round play was better which is what we get from Nouble.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":2ageo246 said:
GreenThing":2ageo246 said:

Well since you ask. Through 1 on1 earlier in the game and missed. Missed another sitter at Charlton when set up by their defender. Hit the bar at Orient from close range. Lets hope he doesn't play today. Wouldn't mind so much if his all round play was better which is what we get from Nouble.

Who do you think will be picked to start today out of Nouble and Hardie?
I’ve had a strange feeling it could be Nouble and Telford.