Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!!

ping g5

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Dec 20, 2005
I love all these people saying should have signed this or that. Can any of those people make a list of players that a) fit that bill, b) we could afford, c) were available and d) willing to come here?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
djg145":3a5d45cj said:
PL2 3DQ":3a5d45cj said:
But 12 months ago we had one of the best defences in League Two - the most clean sheets and only three other teams conceding less goals - so Lowe can be forgiven for giving new contracts to Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton, especially with the uncertainty caused by Covid.

The mistake was made in January by not replacing experienced departing defenders Canavan and Wooton (and long term injured Sawyer) with similar experienced defenders. Instead Woods was signed followed by Lewis.

The defense that got us RELEGATED from Div 1?

I seem to remember, I may be wrong, that Ryan Edwards was our main centre-back and that Wootton missed a lot of that season through injury (and when fit played at full back on both sides). That defence was shot full of injuries and playing in front one of the worst keepers I've seen to wear the shirt. We also played 4 at the back (six if we were winning).

I don't think a comparison is useful.

Feb 22, 2008
Lake District
Drake":1fk89zhr said:
He canā€™t bloody win can he?
If heā€™d not mentioned his priority was defensive reinforcements heā€™d be hauled over the coals too.

Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.

Great post and spot on. Iā€™m fed up reading some of the rubbish spouted on here.

Apr 4, 2004
I wish people would get off Lowe's back. We are a work in progress. Patience is needed. We can all see that we have some defensive frailties that have been dogging us most of the season. All he's doing in that story is letting us all know that he is seeing the same things and that it's in hand. We don't need to crucify him for saying it.

The fact is we do need some major squad surgery. I really think that Ryan Lowe deserves the chance to get it right.

I also think that the main problem with this squad is they are to young. Watts Apoko the Nottingham forest lad Camara etc I'm certain that they are easily good enough for this league, they just lack experience.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Mark Pedlar":2byimdkg said:
djg145":2byimdkg said:
PL2 3DQ":2byimdkg said:
But 12 months ago we had one of the best defences in League Two - the most clean sheets and only three other teams conceding less goals - so Lowe can be forgiven for giving new contracts to Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton, especially with the uncertainty caused by Covid.

The mistake was made in January by not replacing experienced departing defenders Canavan and Wooton (and long term injured Sawyer) with similar experienced defenders. Instead Woods was signed followed by Lewis.

I seem to remember, I may be wrong, that Ryan Edwards was our main centre-back and that Wootton missed a lot of that season through injury (and when fit played at full back on both sides). That defence was shot full of injuries and playing in front one of the worst keepers I've seen to wear the shirt. We also played 4 at the back (six if we were winning).

Yep. Wootton only made 9 appearances during that relegation season and only 1 after September.

Lowe had every right last summer to offer new contracts to a promotion winning defence who proved they were good at not conceding goals, he also added Opoku on loan.

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
And the January transfer dealings were generally regarded as successful according to a good number of posters on here. :roll:

We all know that in the last few weeks the standards have not been good enough.

Or maybe after recent seasons, we just aren't used to not being embroiled at either end of the table in the last weeks of the season.

Jul 12, 2016
Keep the Faith":1s3stzu3 said:
Drake":1s3stzu3 said:
If heā€™d not mentioned his priority was defensive reinforcements heā€™d be hauled over the coals too.

Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.

Great post and spot on. Iā€™m fed up reading some of the rubbish spouted on here.
It is not rubbish.I am fed up with some fans using every excuse in the book to justify our poor performances.Most fans recognised our defensive frailties last season and their worse fears were confirmed as the season progressed.Lowe who had witnessed the problems decided to concentrate on midfield and strikers rather than the defence and was so prepared in the January transfer window he signed a load of rookies to steady the ship when we were screaming out for experience.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":18jd5lup said:
Keep the Faith":18jd5lup said:
Drake":18jd5lup said:

It is not rubbish.I am fed up with some fans using every excuse in the book to justify our poor performances.Most fans recognised our defensive frailties last season and their worse fears were confirmed as the season progressed.Lowe who had witnessed the problems decided to concentrate on midfield and strikers rather than the defence and was so prepared in the January transfer window he signed a load of rookies to steady the ship when we were screaming out for experience.

Except barely anyone is justifying our poor performances, or our defensive record. The defensive records is objectively indefensible, it is that bad and we all know we've been well below par. What people are justifying is that our run of bad results doesn't mean that Ryan Lowe should be sacked, doesn't mean he isn't good enough, doesn't mean he can't improve and doesn't mean he is to blame for everything that has happened.

If you think you're fed up, maybe take a second to consider how the rest of us feel logging onto PASOTI each day to see yourself and a minority of others just train-wrecking every thread to bash the manager. Even the thread specifically designed to allow us to discuss the positives of RL's efforts this campaign.

Graham Clark

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am not sure many noticed that Plymouth Online published a list of out of contract league One players for next season
(see link below)
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... rs-5345638

It is an interesting read as there are not many names there that jump out as the 'tried and tested' experienced leaders / defenders that many are clamouring for. You can add the best of League 2 and the lower reaches of the Championship too that. Foreign players are out due to Brexit and permits. Don't know about Scottish and Irish players but it is not as straight forward as in Paul Sturrocks's day

The Plymouth Live list illustrates how data analytics play an initial role in player recruitment. The Club have embraced Opta Sports data which will greatly assist. Such information will include,

Defenders who win most headers
Defenders who win most tackles
Defenders with the least goals conceded / most blocks etc.
Wing backs / full backs who make the most runs
Wing backs / full backs who make the most successful crosses
Wing backs / full backs with the least goals conceded / most blocked crosses etc.
Height and weight details of all of the above.
Location of touches on the ball for each player during game to assess positional play
Goals scored / attempts at goal.

No amount of scouting can ever cover that level of data. The data provides the sieve for players to follow and watch live in play.

The truth is most half decent players will be under contract or option or will require a fee. The recruitment this close season will be most challenging with imposed budget limits to ensure progress towards sustainability. We are as well placed as we can be through data analysis and the likes of Neil Dewsnip and his knowledge and contacts to improve upon last season when the uncertainty of COVID and funding was overriding. We survived in League 1 so now its onwards and upwards.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Nobby":134dann5 said:
oldage":134dann5 said:
Keep the Faith":134dann5 said:
Drake":134dann5 said:

Except barely anyone is justifying our poor performances, or our defensive record. The defensive records is objectively indefensible, it is that bad and we all know we've been well below par. What people are justifying is that our run of bad results doesn't mean that Ryan Lowe should be sacked, doesn't mean he isn't good enough, doesn't mean he can't improve and doesn't mean he is to blame for everything that has happened.

If you think you're fed up, maybe take a second to consider how the rest of us feel logging onto PASOTI each day to see yourself and a minority of others just train-wrecking every thread to bash the manager. Even the thread specifically designed to allow us to discuss the positives of RL's efforts this campaign.
It would be great to read the responses of the serial doom mongers if our manager turns things around next season.
There seem to be some supporters who form an opinion of a manager, or player, and cannot resist the opportunity to criticise.
I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong and humble pie being on the menu next season.

Jun 27, 2019
Mark Pedlar":2s1t51uk said:
djg145":2s1t51uk said:
PL2 3DQ":2s1t51uk said:

If by 'Wootton missed a lot of that season through injury' you mean he missed 12 games through injury then you'd be right.

The reason he only made nine appearances that season is because Adams realised he had signed a dud. He even brought in Lloyd Jones on loan rather than play Wootton again.

Totally agree about Macey. That summer Adams signed an entire new defence of Macey, Wootton, Canavan, Tafari Moore and Smith-Brown.

*shudders*

Jul 12, 2016
Nobby":3k5detbv said:
oldage":3k5detbv said:
Keep the Faith":3k5detbv said:
Drake":3k5detbv said:

No different to posters like you hero worshipping Lowe .Feel free to ignore my posts .

Jul 12, 2016
[iframe][/iframe]
davie nine":1l8rddrq said:
Nobby":1l8rddrq said:
oldage":1l8rddrq said:
Keep the Faith":1l8rddrq said:
Drake":1l8rddrq said:

It would be great to read the responses of the serial doom mongers if our manager turns things around next season.
There seem to be some supporters who form an opinion of a manager, or player, and cannot resist the opportunity to criticise.
I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong and humble pie being on the menu next season.
We shall see.Hope you are right!

Apr 1, 2009
oldage":3e3ja52y said:
[iframe][/iframe]
davie nine":3e3ja52y said:
Nobby":3e3ja52y said:
oldage":3e3ja52y said:
Keep the Faith":3e3ja52y said:
Drake":3e3ja52y said:

We shall see.Hope you are right!

Find it quite worrying that so many people get so stressy about what others write on here! It can't be good for you! A site like this shouldn't be taken so seriously that reading the opinions of other causes stress. It's a Discussion Board so you're going to get opinions that differ. Either don't read it, or let it wash over you - there's far more serious things to get fed up about, that really do matter.

As to the humble pie, it rarely happens so there's no point in expecting it - "I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong" is sufficient, and achieves what is important.

Apr 1, 2009
Graham Clark":2tybqtm6 said:
I am not sure many noticed that Plymouth Online published a list of out of contract league One players for next season
(see link below)
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... rs-5345638

It is an interesting read as there are not many names there that jump out as the 'tried and tested' experienced leaders / defenders that many are clamouring for. You can add the best of League 2 and the lower reaches of the Championship too that. Foreign players are out due to Brexit and permits. Don't know about Scottish and Irish players but it is not as straight forward as in Paul Sturrocks's day

The Plymouth Live list illustrates how data analytics play an initial role in player recruitment. The Club have embraced Opta Sports data which will greatly assist. Such information will include,

Defenders who win most headers
Defenders who win most tackles
Defenders with the least goals conceded / most blocks etc.
Wing backs / full backs who make the most runs
Wing backs / full backs who make the most successful crosses
Wing backs / full backs with the least goals conceded / most blocked crosses etc.
Height and weight details of all of the above.
Location of touches on the ball for each player during game to assess positional play
Goals scored / attempts at goal.

No amount of scouting can ever cover that level of data. The data provides the sieve for players to follow and watch live in play.

The truth is most half decent players will be under contract or option or will require a fee. The recruitment this close season will be most challenging with imposed budget limits to ensure progress towards sustainability. We are as well placed as we can be through data analysis and the likes of Neil Dewsnip and his knowledge and contacts to improve upon last season when the uncertainty of COVID and funding was overriding. We survived in League 1 so now its onwards and upwards.

An excellent post, as ever, Graham. There have been a lot of posters saying things like "we'll just get a couple of experienced CBs", and "That's what transfer windows are for", without taking into account the likely availability of appropriate targets, or the costs of signing/employing them. Whilst Argyle should emerge better than some from the pandemic, principally due to Simon Hallett's largesse, that doesn't mean there will be massive funds to throw around.