Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":31iaeub0 said:
Nobby":31iaeub0 said:
oldage":31iaeub0 said:
Keep the Faith":31iaeub0 said:
Drake":31iaeub0 said:
He can’t bloody win can he?
If he’d not mentioned his priority was defensive reinforcements he’d be hauled over the coals too.

Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.

Great post and spot on. I’m fed up reading some of the rubbish spouted on here.
It is not rubbish.I am fed up with some fans using every excuse in the book to justify our poor performances.Most fans recognised our defensive frailties last season and their worse fears were confirmed as the season progressed.Lowe who had witnessed the problems decided to concentrate on midfield and strikers rather than the defence and was so prepared in the January transfer window he signed a load of rookies to steady the ship when we were screaming out for experience.

Except barely anyone is justifying our poor performances, or our defensive record. The defensive records is objectively indefensible, it is that bad and we all know we've been well below par. What people are justifying is that our run of bad results doesn't mean that Ryan Lowe should be sacked, doesn't mean he isn't good enough, doesn't mean he can't improve and doesn't mean he is to blame for everything that has happened.

If you think you're fed up, maybe take a second to consider how the rest of us feel logging onto PASOTI each day to see yourself and a minority of others just train-wrecking every thread to bash the manager. Even the thread specifically designed to allow us to discuss the positives of RL's efforts this campaign.
No different to posters like you hero worshipping Lowe .Feel free to ignore my posts .

This is the problem. You're inferring a polarised opinion that simply doesn't exist by stating that I 'hero worship Lowe'. Just because you are very negative in your attitude towards the manager and some individual players, it doesn't mean that someone who disagrees with you is a 'Lowe-Worshipper'.

I'm well aware that Lowe deserves a portion of the blame for the defensive failings of the team and the recruitment of defenders who aren't good enough. I've criticised his post-match comments in recent weeks and I've criticised the 'groundhog day' performances we've turned out and his inability to address some of these failings. I have literally said the below just a couple weeks ago:

Nobby":31iaeub0 said:
As far as I am concerned, the next 4 games mean very little and frankly the results don't really matter (although the players/staff shouldn't be thinking that way). The measure of how purposeful this last quarter of the season has been will be how we start next season. I want to see tangible improvement in the recruitment and more importantly the solidity of the team within the first 10 games next year. Lowe has talked about learning a lot this year, and that's fine, this was never going to be an easy season, particularly in the circumstances, but we need evidence that we are actually learning and that evidence has been lacking throughout this season, so it needs to be rectified this summer and produced next season.

I'm still confident Lowe is taking is in the right direction and that a bit of patience is required, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated at the groundhog day nature of some of the performances this year. I find it hard to point the finger at the manager for individual errors, because he can't kick the ball for them, but too many goals have been conceded by the fundamental inability to defend crosses and leaving too much space in behind the wing backs. That has to be worked on, and it may be as easy as it being a communication issue, or someone taking leadership like Sonny Bradley did, or it may be a case of tactical changes. Our tactical flexibility next year will also be a sign of what Lowe has learnt from this year.

It is possible to accept that the manager is not at fault for every failing the team has.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
davie nine":kahbmlt4 said:
Nobby":kahbmlt4 said:
oldage":kahbmlt4 said:
Keep the Faith":kahbmlt4 said:
Drake":kahbmlt4 said:
If he’d not mentioned his priority was defensive reinforcements he’d be hauled over the coals too.

Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.

It is not rubbish.I am fed up with some fans using every excuse in the book to justify our poor performances.Most fans recognised our defensive frailties last season and their worse fears were confirmed as the season progressed.Lowe who had witnessed the problems decided to concentrate on midfield and strikers rather than the defence and was so prepared in the January transfer window he signed a load of rookies to steady the ship when we were screaming out for experience.

Except barely anyone is justifying our poor performances, or our defensive record. The defensive records is objectively indefensible, it is that bad and we all know we've been well below par. What people are justifying is that our run of bad results doesn't mean that Ryan Lowe should be sacked, doesn't mean he isn't good enough, doesn't mean he can't improve and doesn't mean he is to blame for everything that has happened.

If you think you're fed up, maybe take a second to consider how the rest of us feel logging onto PASOTI each day to see yourself and a minority of others just train-wrecking every thread to bash the manager. Even the thread specifically designed to allow us to discuss the positives of RL's efforts this campaign.
It would be great to read the responses of the serial doom mongers if our manager turns things around next season.
There seem to be some supporters who form an opinion of a manager, or player, and cannot resist the opportunity to criticise.
I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong and humble pie being on the menu next season.
We shall see.Hope you are right![/quote]

Find it quite worrying that so many people get so stressy about what others write on here! It can't be good for you! A site like this shouldn't be taken so seriously that reading the opinions of other causes stress. It's a Discussion Board so you're going to get opinions that differ. Either don't read it, or let it wash over you - there's far more serious things to get fed up about, that really do matter.

As to the humble pie, it rarely happens so there's no point in expecting it - "I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong" is sufficient, and achieves what is important.[/quote]
It doesn’t cause me stress at all.
I just find it annoying that there are supporters, I accept that they are genuine supporters, who cannot form an opinion somewhere between excellent and rubbish.

Mar 14, 2009
I really sometimes don’t know what your suppose to say on here.

I mean we have one of the worst defensively in our four of the English leagues with a ridiculous amount of goals conceded.

We just been hammered by 3 goals, or more recently, apart from Burton. The manager didn’t have a clue how to stop it. And yet it’s wrong to criticise him.

People don’t need stats to justify how poor we have been defensively over the past number of seasons (Adams and Lowe). You can see it. The goals we have conceded are comical. Yet what makes it worse is they are repeated over and over again.

I don’t want Lowe out. Let’s make that clear.

However, l hear everyone talk about a promotion push in the same way they did Adams. You might get a great group of new players in next season. That’s not the problem. The problem, just like with Adams, Lowe has shown some serious tactical failings.

He has had a group of players. Maybe not the best in this league but please surely we can tactically organise ourselves much better than we did.

A manager who can’t currently turn around a result, when we concede first. A manager who at half time often sees his team concede within first 10 mins of the second half. A manager who puts players in positions just to fit into his system, even if they don’t fit the system.

And yet people suddenly expect Argyle next season to be challenging for a top 6 spot with managers of the quality of Adkins who will have bigger budget than Lowe.

And yet you get called out for being negative and unrealistic. If Argyle are to get promoted they will need Lowe to improve tactically and this to be considerably done in a short space of time.

Good players can only take you so far. Without a good manager your rudderless.

Oh and btw, l hope Lowe is successful. It’s just at the moment if you haven’t got these type of concerns it’s like sticking your head in a bucket of sand, like we did with Adams, and then saying where did it all go wrong?

P

Paranoid Android

Nobby":3qwcsovq said:
oldage":3qwcsovq said:
oldage":3qwcsovq said:
Keep the Faith":3qwcsovq said:
Drake":3qwcsovq said:

No different to posters like you hero worshipping Lowe .Feel free to ignore my posts .

This is the problem. You're inferring a polarised opinion that simply doesn't exist by stating that I 'hero worship Lowe'. Just because you are very negative in your attitude towards the manager and some individual players, it doesn't mean that someone who disagrees with you is a 'Lowe-Worshipper'.

I'm well aware that Lowe deserves a portion of the blame for the defensive failings of the team and the recruitment of defenders who aren't good enough. I've criticised his post-match comments in recent weeks and I've criticised the 'groundhog day' performances we've turned out and his inability to address some of these failings. I have literally said the below just a couple weeks ago:

As far as I am concerned, the next 4 games mean very little and frankly the results don't really matter (although the players/staff shouldn't be thinking that way). The measure of how purposeful this last quarter of the season has been will be how we start next season. I want to see tangible improvement in the recruitment and more importantly the solidity of the team within the first 10 games next year. Lowe has talked about learning a lot this year, and that's fine, this was never going to be an easy season, particularly in the circumstances, but we need evidence that we are actually learning and that evidence has been lacking throughout this season, so it needs to be rectified this summer and produced next season.

I'm still confident Lowe is taking is in the right direction and that a bit of patience is required, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated at the groundhog day nature of some of the performances this year. I find it hard to point the finger at the manager for individual errors, because he can't kick the ball for them, but too many goals have been conceded by the fundamental inability to defend crosses and leaving too much space in behind the wing backs. That has to be worked on, and it may be as easy as it being a communication issue, or someone taking leadership like Sonny Bradley did, or it may be a case of tactical changes. Our tactical flexibility next year will also be a sign of what Lowe has learnt from this year.

It is possible to accept that the manager is not at fault for every failing the team has.

I'd echo those sentiments. I'm neither a big for or against the manager, so try to temper views with the bigger picture rather than with a blinkered view. I re-listened to the latest fans forum last night, just to hear again what Hallett said about the use of young loanees this season. And he admitted there was a risk going with youth and he wasn't expecting more than staying in the division this season. He acknowledged the club will need to recruit more experience into the squad and defence next season and hopefully bring through a couple of our own too.

Ryan has clearly made some mistakes in recruitment and in game management, but there are signs he's learning. And it sounds as though the board are learning too. When everything is learned though and they try to apply it, there will always be variables that data analytics and even experience can't anticipate. For example, nobody could anticipate George Cooper picking up a season ending injury, Canavan wanting a move to Bradford in January, other players may not settle for whatever reason, despite looking good on paper. Some characters might not gel, again despite looking good on paper. Some players may not play to their potential in any given season for whatever reason. And there are variables like good and bad luck. (I don't subscribe to the idea that it balances out over the season, there's no evidence of that, as Hallett would say).

Every manager experiences these variables, to his advantage or disadvantage. You've only got to look at Brian Clough for example (only because I'd watched the movie Damned United last night) his achievements at Derby and Notts Forest compared with Leeds, yet he's the same manager.

When all things predictable and variable come together, you end up with over-achievement. I do think Hallett is trying to eliminate as many variables as possible and he's purposefully recruited a young inexperienced manager who he thinks is willing to take his philosophies on board. He's expecting a rollercoaster but seems to have his eye on the ball and will expect year on year steady improvement, in all aspects of the club. I've no doubt if he has to make a decision he will, as he had already done in his first (part) season as Chairman.

Dec 30, 2020
Nobby":39fxcnv2 said:
oldage":39fxcnv2 said:
oldage":39fxcnv2 said:
Keep the Faith":39fxcnv2 said:
Drake":39fxcnv2 said:

Great post, and I think your final point says it all - is there any line of business other than football where the default response to every mistake, challenge or setback is a call for widespread sackings? It's completely cretinous, and if it happened in industries that actually mattered (healthcare, transport, food production etc) the country would fall apart within days.

Jul 12, 2016
Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.[/quote]

Great post and spot on. I’m fed up reading some of the rubbish spouted on here.[/quote]
It is not rubbish.I am fed up with some fans using every excuse in the book to justify our poor performances.Most fans recognised our defensive frailties last season and their worse fears were confirmed as the season progressed.Lowe who had witnessed the problems decided to concentrate on midfield and strikers rather than the defence and was so prepared in the January transfer window he signed a load of rookies to steady the ship when we were screaming out for experience.[/quote]

If you think you're fed up, maybe take a second to consider how the rest of us feel logging onto PASOTI each day to see yourself and a minority of others just train-wrecking every thread to bash the manager. Even the thread specifically designed to allow us to discuss the positives of RL's efforts this campaign.[/quote]
No different to posters like you hero worshipping Lowe .Feel free to ignore my posts .[/quote]

Nobby":wlmh0yeu said:

It is possible to accept that the manager is not at fault for every failing the team has.[/quote]

Great post, and I think your final point says it all - is there any line of business other than football where the default response to every mistake, challenge or setback is a call for widespread sackings? It's completely cretinous, and if it happened in industries that actually mattered (healthcare, transport, food production etc) the country would fall apart within days.[/quote]
There are not many other businesses that pay handsomely for failure.You really think that in any business if you regularly failed against your competitors you would allow those in charge to continue in the same vain?

Feb 15, 2005
I think RL is suffering the same issue all Argyle managers have in that they can't necessarily get their targets to move to the West Country. Im sure at the end of last season RL had targets and if he couldn't get them then should he have signed defenders he felt wasn't as good as Sayer, Canavan and Wotton? this season we have been streakily good or bad and he's discovered his CB's weren't necessarily up to L1 standards. In the January window, i'm pretty sure the type of player he wanted would have probably already in that clubs first team and under contract and probably content where they were. We signed Woods and Lewis but were they his original targets? He's now seen a complete season in L1 and should know the type of player he needs and he will have targets for players available. He must be as frustrated as we are at seeing poor defending week in week out, he cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. This next window I'm sure he will be frustrated but lets hope he can improve this area and give our Number 1 keeper some more protection.

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":1nt6vmk4 said:
davie nine":1nt6vmk4 said:
Nobby":1nt6vmk4 said:
oldage":1nt6vmk4 said:
Keep the Faith":1nt6vmk4 said:
Drake":1nt6vmk4 said:

It would be great to read the responses of the serial doom mongers if our manager turns things around next season.
There seem to be some supporters who form an opinion of a manager, or player, and cannot resist the opportunity to criticise.
I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong and humble pie being on the menu next season.
We shall see.Hope you are right!

Find it quite worrying that so many people get so stressy about what others write on here! It can't be good for you! A site like this shouldn't be taken so seriously that reading the opinions of other causes stress. It's a Discussion Board so you're going to get opinions that differ. Either don't read it, or let it wash over you - there's far more serious things to get fed up about, that really do matter.

As to the humble pie, it rarely happens so there's no point in expecting it - "I look forward to Ryan Lowe proving them wrong" is sufficient, and achieves what is important.[/quote]
It doesn’t cause me stress at all.
I just find it annoying that there are supporters, I accept that they are genuine supporters, who cannot form an opinion somewhere between excellent and rubbish.[/quote]

The "stressing" thing wasn't really aimed at you Davie. I do agree to some extent about the necessity to have such extremities of opinion.

P

Paranoid Android

oldage":oko8ho6m said:
There are not many other businesses that pay handsomely for failure.You really think that in any business if you regularly failed against your competitors you would allow those in charge to continue in the same vain?

Err...

Every Investment Bank in London?

Most big high streets retailers (Phillip Green and Arcadia?)

CEO of Debenhams, M&S, Tesco, HSBC etc

All paid exponentially more than a League 1 manager I would say. And all retain their jobs significantly longer than the average football manager. They lose many millions, allegedly steal people’s pensions and create massive unemployment.

Next?

Paranoid Android":144vnu5q said:
oldage":144vnu5q said:

Err...

Every Investment Bank in London?

Most big high streets retailers (Phillip Green and Arcadia?)

CEO of Debenhams, M&S, Tesco, HSBC etc

All paid exponentially more than a League 1 manager I would say. And all retain their jobs significantly longer than the average football manager. They lose many millions, allegedly steal people’s pensions and create massive unemployment.

Next?

And usually walk off with big farewell bonuses.

Jul 12, 2016
I bow to your superior knowledge but I still think that football managers can get several moves during their career and make a small fortune by failing to deliver. You just need to see the managerial merry go round each season and the compensation paid .If Lowe fails to impress next season and is sacked he will still get a pay off and probably move on to another job.Nice work if you can get it.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
oldage":3nrj2i4i said:
I bow to your superior knowledge but I still think that football managers can get several moves during their career and make a small fortune by failing to deliver. You just need to see the managerial merry go round each season and the compensation paid .If Lowe fails to impress next season and is sacked he will still get a pay off and probably move on to another job.Nice work if you can get it.

Most managers are working many hours a week, late nights, travelling around the country midweek to watch potential opponents and players, lots of pressure from all angles, dealing with agents and not least the players themselves. Good pay ? Yes, but not compared to the players. Easy number ? I don't think so ...

Jul 12, 2016
Dorset Pilgrim":3tiomcy0 said:
oldage":3tiomcy0 said:

Most managers are working many hours a week, late nights, travelling around the country midweek to watch potential opponents and players, lots of pressure from all angles, dealing with agents and not least the players themselves. Good pay ? Yes, but not compared to the players. Easy number ? I don't think so ...
My heart goes out to them , not. If you think that is hard work you are not living in the real world.

Sep 2, 2008
Dorset Pilgrim":79j7eat8 said:
oldage":79j7eat8 said:

Really don't think thats the case. Lowe is forever saying, 'we've had them watched' which suggests he has people that do that for him. I accept that he does attend some matches but I would argue that he only does that because he is in the vicinity.

I agree that it's not a very secure job but as it's been mentioned before, managers are very lucratively rewarded if sacked. Lowe will spend most of his time driving up and down the M5 in the merc thats been given to him.

Compared to many jobs, being a football manager at an established club is definitely an easy number.