Lowe threatens clear out | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe threatens clear out

Jul 12, 2016
buck197":2gmot1kl said:
Who would want to take these poor underperforming players who are contracted till at least the end of this season.
Exactly.We couldn't shift our deadwood in the last transfer window so not much chance in January.

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
Dubai Green":23b2lwzk said:
I’m a simple person.

(Quiet at the back)

When it comes to expectations, I’ve learned a lot in life, including not to expect instant success. Indeed, not to expect any success - life is much happier that way if and when success comes. Which, of course, I hope it does.

Living overseas, I watch pretty much every game on iFollow. When it comes to the team, I don’t care for formations or tactics. I just want to see a good game and a decent effort.

Critically, when it comes to managers, I just want passion and honesty. Of course, some ability to sign good players and win games too. But I’ve seen umpty thrumpty previous Argyle managers serving up post match twaddle about being the better side, or clichés like “we need to dust ourselves off” and “we’ve got a chance to put it right next week”. The more that sort of nonsense comes out, the closer they’ve been to leaving the club, at least in my 30+ years of following Argyle.

So I say thank you Ryan. Your honesty about recent performances is refreshing. I back you to get it right. And I understand that it might take time. So many have gone before you pretending everything’s OK. I’m delighted finally to have a manager who says it as it is.

That’ll do me for now.

:clap:
:scarf:

Mar 23, 2008
WoodsyGreen":1kbjrwn7 said:
PL2 3DQ":1kbjrwn7 said:
WoodsyGreen":1kbjrwn7 said:
PL2 3DQ":1kbjrwn7 said:
I would add that at Bury that because of the financial crisis there was a siege-like mentality amongst the players and management which helped them get promoted.

Of the new signings Joe Edwards looks the most vulnerable.

You surely can't be serious? Edwards was the outstanding performer of the opening weeks of the season, and if his form has suffered of late it's only because he's been dragged out of position to cover for the incompetence of our main right wingback.

Talking of whom, Riley has to go in January whatever the cost. He is so far from being suited to our system that a replacement needs to be brought in as a matter of urgency, which would free Edwards up to play in the position where he has so much more impact.

Of the rest, Wooton, Sawyer, Canavan and Taylor are all on extremely thin ice. In fact, a couple of them have already fallen through the ice and are treading water. If we can find two new centre-backs and another striker in January then three of those named can be paid up and told to find new clubs. Sawyer will probably be kept on due to his status as captain and local boy, but he's cover at best.

I'm one of those who still has faith in Lowe and his style of play. However, there are clearly some serious personnel issues and our results will continue to suffer while we're carrying passengers who aren't fit for promotion-winning football. It's essential that we stay in touch with the playoffs until we can make the necessary changes to the squad, or else we'll be looking at another season in this wasteland of a league, which would be a serious disappointment.

On another note, what happened to the much-hailed 97% player availability rate at Bury last season? I think we can safely say that's been exposed as complete luck and nothing more.

The question was 'who from the new players was Lowe talking about who could be shipped out', not the Adams' signings that you have listed.
Edwards has been subbed six times in 11 league games which suggests Lowe is losing patience with him.

Who of the new players do you think Lowe is talking about?

I don't think he's talking about any of his signings. He's clearly disappointed with some of the players he inherited, but he can hardly hammer them in public without also including his own signings. Doing so would create a split in his squad, which would make things even worse.
That's how I read it, a collective shot across the bowels to avoid anything divisive but it's clear that too many of last seasons players are not up to it. Edwards wasn't great yesterday but generally he's been one of our better players. The likes of Taylor, Canavan, Wootton and Conor Grant must be in last chance saloon.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I feel for Lowe, has had a lot of injuries in the squad and this has forced him to use players he inherited who aren't good enough. Mind you not sure why he has opted to start with Taylor rather than Rudden. But then you get schoolboy defending from Aimson for Scunthorpe's late equaliser. Sorting out the defence has to be his priority, looked absolutely awful from the brief highlights.

The differing opinions on here about some players just show what a challenge it is currently. Give Lowe time, a settled team and a couple of wins on the trot to boost confidence. We are still, at the moment, well in touch with teams in the play-off places.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Deacster":1ut56itf said:
WoodsyGreen":1ut56itf said:
PL2 3DQ":1ut56itf said:
WoodsyGreen":1ut56itf said:
PL2 3DQ":1ut56itf said:
I would add that at Bury that because of the financial crisis there was a siege-like mentality amongst the players and management which helped them get promoted.

You surely can't be serious? Edwards was the outstanding performer of the opening weeks of the season, and if his form has suffered of late it's only because he's been dragged out of position to cover for the incompetence of our main right wingback.

Talking of whom, Riley has to go in January whatever the cost. He is so far from being suited to our system that a replacement needs to be brought in as a matter of urgency, which would free Edwards up to play in the position where he has so much more impact.

Of the rest, Wooton, Sawyer, Canavan and Taylor are all on extremely thin ice. In fact, a couple of them have already fallen through the ice and are treading water. If we can find two new centre-backs and another striker in January then three of those named can be paid up and told to find new clubs. Sawyer will probably be kept on due to his status as captain and local boy, but he's cover at best.

I'm one of those who still has faith in Lowe and his style of play. However, there are clearly some serious personnel issues and our results will continue to suffer while we're carrying passengers who aren't fit for promotion-winning football. It's essential that we stay in touch with the playoffs until we can make the necessary changes to the squad, or else we'll be looking at another season in this wasteland of a league, which would be a serious disappointment.

On another note, what happened to the much-hailed 97% player availability rate at Bury last season? I think we can safely say that's been exposed as complete luck and nothing more.

The question was 'who from the new players was Lowe talking about who could be shipped out', not the Adams' signings that you have listed.
Edwards has been subbed six times in 11 league games which suggests Lowe is losing patience with him.

I don't think he's talking about any of his signings. He's clearly disappointed with some of the players he inherited, but he can hardly hammer them in public without also including his own signings. Doing so would create a split in his squad, which would make things even worse.
That's how I read it, a collective shot across the bowels to avoid anything divisive but it's clear that too many of last seasons players are not up to it. Edwards wasn't great yesterday but generally he's been one of our better players. The likes of Taylor, Canavan, Wootton and Conor Grant must be in last chance saloon.

As a footballer, one shot across the bowels would be more than enough to focus my mind on the job in hand, but a COLLECTIVE one? Ouch! ;)

May 16, 2016
Mark58":24l1w4fz said:
Deacster":24l1w4fz said:
WoodsyGreen":24l1w4fz said:
PL2 3DQ":24l1w4fz said:
WoodsyGreen":24l1w4fz said:
PL2 3DQ":24l1w4fz said:

As a footballer, one shot across the bowels would be more than enough to focus my mind on the job in hand, but a COLLECTIVE one? Ouch! ;)

It would frighten the cr8p out of me for sure....

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Deacster":3710t1le said:
That’s exactly how I read it too. Basically he’s saying I don’t care who the Hell you are if you’re not performing you could be moved out and the only way to make that clear is by specifically saying that includes any of his signings too.

It’s such a shame we lost Telford & Moore to injury and just when Baxter was beginning to look a seriously impressive addition he’s had a set-back. It’s frustrating as Hell but I’m confident because we can see what RL is aiming for, there is a plan and he knows what he wants. It will take time – and we can argue about whether he’s taking the correct route and going about things in the right order - but I’m fully on board with what he’s trying to achieve and it will be fascinating to watch it develop. I can see us going on a really good run after Christmas.

I can’t fault RL’s philosophy, playing style, commitment and approach to everything he’s done at the club so far. Management success is rarely easy or immediate in any business, let alone football. That’s why most football management life spans are so brief. We have an outstanding owner and manager, and results will follow if we are patient.

Jan 27, 2012
philevs":1ku53fri said:
For me the biggest disappointment up til now has been Mayor.
In 50 years of watching Argyle, he’s the best at beating players one-on-one that I’ve seen, superbly skilled and it’s so easy for him.
But he’s so predictable! Only ever comes inside looking for the reverse switch to the overlapping MacFadzean.
Never plays/gets played on the right side (not his fault if that’s the team plan).
But NO left foot whatsoever, which is what makes him so predictable! Why do these players not develop their skills and get at least average with both feet?
Obviously tries very hard as can see from his reactions, so attitude is clearly good.
Very disappointing though, and wonder if he’s one of the ones RL has in mind.

It was silly of Lowe to tell the fans that Mayor is better than Carey. He simply isn’t, and what did Lowe actually know about Carey ?

One problem with Mayor’s style is that he slows the play down whilst performing his tricks. The very best players I have seen for Argyle in that position, including Dalton, Sinclair and Norris, were very skilful but also very direct.

However Mayor is still a decent player for L2 level.

Dec 4, 2011
Cobi Budge":t5x4y3bl said:
It’s worth looking at Nathan Jones during his time at Luton, whilst the circumstances may not be identical, they’re similar and it’s a good comparison to make.

He also took over at a League 2 club with ambitious owner. He also was a young manager who had a clear philosophy and a way he wanted to play that he wouldn’t differ from. It didn’t click immediately, he inherited a number of players from the likes of Andy Awford & Jon Still. He couldn’t completely build & shape a team to suit his philosophy after 1 transfer window, he needed 2 or 3. It was a process.

Give Lowe the time & he’ll get things right.

Agree with this also, in Jones' first full season he beat us 0-3, with Marriot getting at least one, on the opening day. We ended up promoted and I can't remember how Luton got on but they didn't get promoted.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I think that Mr Mayors` problem is that he doesn`t at this time have the pacey, goal hungry strikers available to release the ball to. My fear is that if results and performances continue in this abysmal fashion, he may be off in January.

Jan 27, 2012
I don’t think Argyle have had many pacy, goal hungry strikers in all my time watching them. If they do come along they don’t stick around for very long!

In League 2, the style of football needs to suit lower league players. I don’t think Pep would be much good managing at this level, but Warnock and Pulis almost certainly would be !

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
WoodsyGreen":k530xgxx said:
PL2 3DQ":k530xgxx said:

I’d say Canavan and Taylor have fallen thru the thin ice and are deep in freezing water. The only way I see them being at the club in Feb is if no one wants them.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
philevs":11d7ucns said:
For me the biggest disappointment up til now has been Mayor.
In 50 years of watching Argyle, he’s the best at beating players one-on-one that I’ve seen, superbly skilled and it’s so easy for him.
But he’s so predictable! Only ever comes inside looking for the reverse switch to the overlapping MacFadzean.
Never plays/gets played on the right side (not his fault if that’s the team plan).
But NO left foot whatsoever, which is what makes him so predictable! Why do these players not develop their skills and get at least average with both feet?
Obviously tries very hard as can see from his reactions, so attitude is clearly good.
Very disappointing though, and wonder if he’s one of the ones RL has in mind.
Totally agree mate.