Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper)

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":31fg7jdn said:
Guiri Green":31fg7jdn said:
Often if you look back, you can see that blaming the keeper is the easy option.

Oxfords first goal he was blocked from the ball by the Argyle player flailing on the floor in front of him. Nobody ever notices the failures leading up to conceding. He won't save every attempt straight at him, but he's suffering from playing behind the extreme opposite of defence during Larrieus golden period.

The first goal saw chaos in our defence, something the keeper has to take partial responsibility for. An almost identical scenario occured shortly after Oxford's first when our box once again resembled a pin ball machine. Cooper failed to do what he should have done and charge through the melee to claim the ball. It ended with a soft header right at him that he could only chest straight back into the danger zone.

Then in the second-half he came for a cross and completely missed it - thankfully the Oxford forward did too.

You say blaming the keeper is the easy option. I don't think Cooper has been blamed enough this season, because he's young and came through our academy. Why should that be a free pass to avoiding criticism when our other defenders are getting (rightly) hammered?

ps. I agree with Knibbsworth above - though I wasn't one of those who was in favour of Cooper being our No.1. Not bringing Palmer back (or another quality League One keeper) was a major gamble and it hasn't paid off.
Any goalkeeper would struggle with the accident prone defence in front of him. Until we get one or more commanding CBs to sort out the mess we will continue to concede goals.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think the problem is more to do with organisation and communication than strict goalkeeping ability (as in ability to stop shots, crosses, etc). I think a good defence needs the person behind it to keep it organised, focussed and alert at all times. I don’t think Cooper has that side to his game yet.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Cobi Budge":dl394sji said:
Hmm, the main problem is that he’s playing behind a very weak defence.

Agree totally. McC didnt look that hot in the mickey mouse cup match that he played in?

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
WoodsyGreen":1s7i8y8q said:
100%. Just because he's young and 'one of our own' does not mean he's immune from criticism. In fact, he is as much to blame for our defensive frailties as our awful centre-backs. Yes he might look better if we had actual defenders in front of him, but even then I'm not convinced he's a League One-standard keeper, or ever will be.

He can best be described as capable, but has not shown anything like the level required to suggest he's going to be a top keeper - despite some on here suggesting he's destined for the Premier League/England etc.

As I've said a dozen or so times, if he was any good a bigger club would have snapped him up ages ago.

How do you know that Argyle haven't already refused a substantial offer for him....... ;)

Oct 5, 2013
Will be surprised if Cooper is picked for Saturday, I think RL will decide he needs a break for a bit.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":1g799hhn said:
100%. Just because he's young and 'one of our own' does not mean he's immune from criticism. In fact, he is as much to blame for our defensive frailties as our awful centre-backs. Yes he might look better if we had actual defenders in front of him, but even then I'm not convinced he's a League One-standard keeper, or ever will be.

He can best be described as capable, but has not shown anything like the level required to suggest he's going to be a top keeper - despite some on here suggesting he's destined for the Premier League/England etc.

As I've said a dozen or so times, if he was any good a bigger club would have snapped him up ages ago.

So if he is so inadequate which goals should he be blamed for?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
philevs":2l7p09qv said:
Will be surprised if Cooper is picked for Saturday, I think RL will decide he needs a break for a bit.

I don’t think Cooper will be dropped. He didn’t do anything different last night so if Lowe was going to drop him for experience and leadership reasons, he would have dropped him by now.

Apr 12, 2016
I would pick Luke on Saturday just to see what he can do with the defence. Wouldn't hurt to do that and try a different approach.

Oct 5, 2013
Since I Was 33":2pny0v70 said:
I would pick Luke on Saturday just to see what he can do with the defence. Wouldn't hurt to do that and try a different approach.

Certainly don’t think it will be the same ‘back four’ of Cooper, Aimson, Canavan and Watts.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
When you set a team up to play how Lowe does, it’s essential that the keeper and the back three are a solid unit. They’re about as solid as one of those MFI sideboards you used to be able to buy. Cooper isn’t good enough at present and neither are most of the defenders. I was also amazed when he brought Mccormick back to the club.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
The Doctor":1kc0tz3o said:
I think the problem is more to do with organisation and communication than strict goalkeeping ability (as in ability to stop shots, crosses, etc). I think a good defence needs the person behind it to keep it organised, focussed and alert at all times. I don’t think Cooper has that side to his game yet.

Agree with this and said as much after the Ipswich game. With a small crowd it was obvious he was very quiet behind the defence. Compare and contrast with Palmer last year. Interestingly Cooper was more vocal against MK Dons but I thought quiet again last night. His keeping was also not the best last night.

People may rush to his defence citing the players in front of him, but it is even more crucial for a defence to be a) informed by the keeper behind them, and b) confident in the keeper (think about Macey in this respect). He has the best view of everything and has to communicate.

It's tough for a young keeper to come in and boss stalwarts like Canavan but he has to find that in himself - something nearing an arrogant trait like say Henderson of Man Utd. Meslier of Leeds is another example - young keeper prone to an error, but quite willing to tell his defence what he thinks.

Oct 15, 2017
HC Green":qcn1wtdf said:
Not sure it can be called a mistake but being unable to persuade McFadzean to stay has caused part of the problem with the team this year, part of the reason why Mayor is not very effective based on last season’s performances in my opinion.

Spot on.

Jan 27, 2012
Half the problem is the every open system that Lowe plays. He effectively plays with wingers rather than full-backs, and this gives the opposition lots of space to run into. Its exciting to watch- but most managers who have done well at this level (Warnock, Sturrock etc) seem to prioritise defending before attacking.

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
plymouthboyuk":1919qbvw said:
.....I honestly think if we had resigned Alex Palmer, we would have been 3 or 4 more points better off. He is a GK who commands his area, and organised his defence.

My memory is not clear here -
did we just let Palmer go?
Or did he opt for something else?

Oct 31, 2015
I agree with the OP.

Coops is an adequate keeper who with the right mentoring, training and experience will become a very good keeper but a lot of the defensive mess ups are due to not having a leader. Last season Palmer and Gazza were back there calling the shots. Coops has not developed this side of his game yet.

Although he has made few mistakes as a keeper he doesn't command the defence and I also agree with Coby as there have been very few Wow moments.

RL had tried every other combination of the defence surely Luke needs to be given a go. If he can't play out like Palmer or Coops then we change our tactics slightly.

Mind you all that said I did like the throw out to Hardie on Tuesday. That was quick thinking :thumbdown: