Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper)

Aug 13, 2009
Cooper was poor against Gillingham, there is no doubt about that. The opposition have sussed him out regarding crosses and future teams will do the same. He is not helped by the players in front of him but to exonerate him from any blame is wrong. Bring Luke in and give Cooper a rest to regain his confidence.
I fear for him if he makes a calamitous mistake in the near future that costs us a game.
The pillorying he will get will be relentless and it may end his career at Argyle

Sep 6, 2006
santos73":298pcd35 said:
Cooper was poor against Gillingham, there is no doubt about that. The opposition have sussed him out regarding crosses and future teams will do the same. He is not helped by the players in front of him but to exonerate him from any blame is wrong. Bring Luke in and give Cooper a rest to regain his confidence.
I fear for him if he makes a calamitous mistake in the near future that costs us a game.
The pillorying he will get will be relentless and it may end his career at Argyle

Ha well that would be a first. One mistake ending a players career. Or can you think of any examples? Bizarre comment

Jun 27, 2019
Dan Ellard":2abrpbcm said:
Interestingly, I found myself watching the Argyle 03/04 promotion season highlights earlier. McCormick made big errors leading to a number of goals - Peterborough away, Oldham home, Barnsley away, Oldham away, Hartlepool away...

Luke did very well that season, no doubt. I'm not using the above examples to say that Luke didn't do well.

My point is, its a young goalkeeper in the 3rd tier, hadn't played much before that season... and he did make mistakes, but yet for the following years afterwards he did well in the championship, and could maybe have been a Premier league keeper if it wasn't for you-know-what.

Mike Cooper clearly has the potential, and we shouldn't give up on him just because of a few errors. Luke's time has been and gone now, we should keep faith in our young keeper with an equally high ceiling.

That's a fair comment. I remember McCormick being at least partly responsible for a defeat at Tranmere back in (I think) 2002. I left Prenton Park praying Romain would be back asap, but McCormick actually went on to do really well for us over the next couple of years and didn't look at all out of place in the Championship.

Whether Cooper has that kind of improvement trajectory in him remains to be seen. Here's hoping.

May 16, 2016
santos73":1sx4ggj6 said:

How does dropping a player boost their confidence ? Relentless career ending pillorying wouldn't paint the Argyle support in a flattering light, bit embarrassing to be honest.

Aug 13, 2009
Balham_Green":37xtblzq said:
santos73":37xtblzq said:

Ha well that would be a first. One mistake ending a players career. Or can you think of any examples? Bizarre comment

I said career at Argyle not football career. Goalkeepers especially prone to this.

Jim Leighton - Manchester United goalkeeper. 1984 Cup Final. Played in Final, had terrible game, dropped for replay. Played once more for Utd before being moved on.

Scott Carson - England V Croatia - Too young for such a big game. Major error for first goal England career as good as over.

There's two examples for you!!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
santos73":d7765rzr said:
Balham_Green":d7765rzr said:
santos73":d7765rzr said:

I said career at Argyle not football career. Goalkeepers especially prone to this.

Jim Leighton - Manchester United goalkeeper. 1984 Cup Final. Played in Final, had terrible game, dropped for replay. Played once more for Utd before being moved on.

Scott Carson - England V Croatia - Too young for such a big game. Major error for first goal England career as good as over.

There's two examples for you!!

1990 - as I was there, :D