Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper)

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Balham_Green":rzxopsai said:
vibratingspider":rzxopsai said:
WoodsyGreen":rzxopsai said:
vibratingspider":rzxopsai said:
For what it's worth, I don't think it's that there aren't any examples where Cooper was at fault this season, I think it's that people rightly can't be bothered to trawl back through 20 highlight videos making a note of which goals we should cite on a Pasoti thread as being the fault of our rookie keeper.

Personally, I've seen countless examples throughout the season where all I've seen is a keeper rooted to the spot, usually on his goal line, after the ball has hit the net. Often it's after he's failed to collect a cross and he's just stood there throwing his arms up in the air like a child who's been told to turn the Playstation off. And no, I'm not going to provide specific examples but that's more of a sign that I simply can't be arsed to find them all!

To those who say he's destined for the top, I honestly can't see it and maybe that negates much of what I've said above - I'm not claiming to know everything about goalkeeping but, like Cobi said earlier in the thread, Cooper just doesn't seem to make the showcase saves - I don't remember seeing many saves where I've thought "Blimey, how did he get to that?" - quite often, for me, it's the complete opposite. He doesn't make stinking mistakes often; he just doesn't make the saves that some may think he could have done better with.

To conclude, I agree with the OP - not signing Palmer has cost us dearly this season, and I've been saying the same things for a good few months now. Here's hoping RL has a look at the loan market in January - if Luke's not the answer as a backup, when we clearly need a change of personnel in goal, then why on earth did we sign him? If it's purely as a mentor, well it's not working.

So you have seen' countless examples' but can't remember any. :facepalm: Well thats very convincing. To respond to your point I don't think you ANYTHING about goalkeeping.
The weaknesses in our defence Wooton Canavan Watts(who seems immune to criticism) and a powder puff defence are well documented. THAT is the reason we are letting in goals. But its so easy and simplistic to blame a rookie keeper.

Our centre-backs have rightly been getting regular pelters for their poor displays, Watts included (though perhaps not as much as the others because he hasn't been quite as tragic). Not sure why you seem to think goalkeepers aren't part of a defence but Cooper is as much to blame for our goals-against record as the Muppet Show in front of him.

To throw your word back at you, it's simplistic to just blame the defenders and not the keeper behind them.

And as I asked earlier on the thread, if our defence is so bad and shipping so many chances then why is Cooper not winning regular man of the match awards? He's either keeping us in games or he isn't!

Cooper is not as muchto blame. Previous posters have been critical but then unable to give examples.Says it all. He's not perfect of course. Every player at this level makes many mistakes every game.
You don't make any sense. Because the defence is poor therefore Cooper should be mom :crazy: Expecting him to make up for others inadequacies!

We've already addressed the "examples" bit. You really expect people to trawl through 20 videos of match highlights just so we can give you minute by minute commentary on Cooper's goalkeeping for the sole purpose of shutting down your meaningless argument? With (very limited) respect, I've got better things to do. Maybe watch a game or two and you'll see for yourself.

I watch the games(unfortunately). If you were so unhappy with Coopers keeping surely you could remember SOMETHING without trawling through 20 videos. I suggest you watch the games properly in future perhaps with somebody who understands the game.

Just so you don't keep warbling on about "examples", you can add the Gillingham game to the list. There's a good chap. Your comment above hasn't really aged very well in light of today's performance. I take no pleasure in seeing our keeper struggle but it's very clear that opposing managers have spotted that Cooper has a massive problem with crosses and claiming the ball. But I'm sure nobody understands the game as well as you, eh BG? :doh:

Jun 27, 2019
davie nine":32gwa4bf said:
Obviously, we have different opinions about Mike, who I have never met by the way, and I believe he has similar potential to what the unfortunate Alan Nicholls had.
However, I respect the fact that you have taken the trouble explain your thoughts in some detail.

I enjoy reading your posts Davie, you generally speak a lot of sense. However, to say Cooper has a similar level of potential to Alan Nicholls is, in my opinion, well wide of the mark.

Nicholls unfortunately didn't have much upstairs so probably would never have fulfilled his potential, but he had more natural talent than any Argyle keeper I've ever seen and was on a completely different level to young Cooper.

Some of the saves he used to make would leave fans shaking their heads in disbelief. I can't recall Cooper making a save that has induced a similar reaction and he's had plenty of opportunity.

Jul 6, 2009
Nicholls was light years ahead of Cooper and represented England U21, that is a ridiculous comparison. Cooper is a good shot stopper and excellent with his distribution and first touch passes, but is really struggling at the moment with crosses and the physical presence of big players roughing him up. If I was Lowe I would put a big defender between Cooper and the opposition at all set pieces to protect him.

I don't think Cooper is good enough- Alex Palmer was 23 when we had him, Cooper is 22 but I just can't see him being as good in 12 months time. The problem is other teams know his weakness and will test him on it, however he won't get better unless we play him. I would love to see him loaned out and make his mistakes at other teams and come back a better goalkeeper but I fear we have missed that opportunity. He doesn't command the defenders like McCormick does.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I also cant currently see any comparison with the outstanding Alan Nichols other than they both suffer from a (comparative) lack of height.
Nichols only real weakness was to the occasional lob (Corazzin). But he made up for his height generally with his bullish command of the area.
I thought Cooper started the season well enough but has gotten progressively more suspect.
Could be a combination of things. Could be that he's deflated about the number of goals he's conceded due to the keystone cops in front of him and is constantly in two minds because of the defending he is seeing. Could be that he feels pretty assured / complacent of his starting place if McCormick isn't fancied.
Whatever it is, yesterday was the most frightening display of goalkeeping since a certain Romain Larrieu made his debut for us, and look what happened to him.
I feel its very fortunate we have a cup game next to give RL the opportunity to replace Cooper without it being judged as punishment.

Jan 7, 2018
I worry he's heading to macey levels in the air was my concerns of McCormick and cooper following suit think I'd be tempted to look at ruddy now

Jun 27, 2019
up_the_line":36nv48q5 said:
Nichols only real weakness was to the occasional lob (Corazzin). But he made up for his height generally with his bullish command of the area.

Yep, Nicholls was extremely rash coming off his line and it cost us big time in the playoff semi against Burnley. He also charged out at Barnet once and was sent off for taking out the striker, not to mention being lobbed against France for England U21s.

But the rest of his game more than made up for that weakness. He was such an incredibly talented keeper that it still haunts me he didn't have the mental capacity to fulfill his potential. He needed someone to give him a bloody good shake but Shilton turned a blind eye because of his talent. By the time Warnock arrived at the club Nicholls had completely lost the plot with his partying so he just got shot of him. No fault of Warnock's, of course, but that decision had tragic consequences.

Sep 25, 2010
arthpafc":1wai8ckp said:
I worry he's heading to macey levels in the air was my concerns of McCormick and cooper following suit think I'd be tempted to look at ruddy now

Ruddy is no better than Cooper in the air, Cooper is better than Ruddy

Mar 14, 2009
I think yesterday was Coopers worst game l’ve seen from him.

I think the problem with him is his decision making. Yesterday it was all over the place for the crosses and when that starts to go you have an issue.

His ability is there. You only have to see his handling. Unfortunately, all goalkeepers go through stages like this. Remember De Gea for Man Utd last season. So bad Roy Keane ripped into him live on SKY in one of the matches he was covering. Before last season he was UTD’s player of the season. This season he has been back to his best.

He may need a rest at some stage this season but keep faith in him.

It could be miles worse. We could have Ray Newland or Nicky Hammond in goal.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Metal_Green_Mickey":16dmph11 said:
I think yesterday was Coopers worst game l’ve seen from him.

I think the problem with him is his decision making. Yesterday it was all over the place for the crosses and when that starts to go you have an issue.

His ability is there. You only have to see his handling. Unfortunately, all goalkeepers go through stages like this. Remember De Gea for Man Utd last season. So bad Roy Keane ripped into him live on SKY in one of the matches he was covering. Before last season he was UTD’s player of the season. This season he has been back to his best.

He may need a rest at some stage this season but keep faith in him.

It could be miles worse. We could have Ray Newland or Nicky Hammond in goal.

Ray Newland! Now, there's a name from the past. The poor guy probably had trouble 'catching' a bus :lol: I remember sitting in the Mayflower with my kids and coming out in a cold sweat every time a cross came in. The anguished cry of 'Punch it, Newland!' has become something of a family saying ever since. :scarf:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Punch it?
Newland has certainly made a name for himself since he stopped playing.
Last I heard, he had a successful business selling goalkeepers’ equipment, including gloves.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Interestingly, I found myself watching the Argyle 03/04 promotion season highlights earlier. McCormick made big errors leading to a number of goals - Peterborough away, Oldham home, Barnsley away, Oldham away, Hartlepool away...

Luke did very well that season, no doubt. I'm not using the above examples to say that Luke didn't do well.

My point is, its a young goalkeeper in the 3rd tier, hadn't played much before that season... and he did make mistakes, but yet for the following years afterwards he did well in the championship, and could maybe have been a Premier league keeper if it wasn't for you-know-what.

Mike Cooper clearly has the potential, and we shouldn't give up on him just because of a few errors. Luke's time has been and gone now, we should keep faith in our young keeper with an equally high ceiling.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I guess the comparisons with Nicholls come from us having a young keeper on our hands without much experience but who some folk believe is destined to play at the highest level. I agree with others that Cooper is nowhere near that level and, at the moment, I can't see him getting there.

Opposition managers have done their homework on, not just Cooper but our whole defence and it's clear that they're now trying to exploit the weaknesses were continuing to demonstrate. It'll be interesting - perhaps, in some ways, if opponents keep lofting the ball into the box, Cooper's decision making and ability to claim crosses might improve. Fingers crossed!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
davie nine":1kf1lbnu said:
Punch it?
Newland has certainly made a name for himself since he stopped playing.
Last I heard, he had a successful business selling goalkeepers’ equipment, including gloves.
It's actually an incredibly successful goalkeeping coaching set up he has had for many years.