Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
There haven't been any howlers that I can recall but as I've said, my concern is that he isn't making many telling or game winning contributions. Palmer, Matthews, McCormick, Roos etc, even Letheren to an extent, they would all make at least one major contribution per game in the form of a save that would make you stand and applaud. Cooper is doing the simple things well, he isn't making mistakes and he's saving the shots you'd expect him to save, but to go further he'll need to start making the saves you wouldn't expect him to make. He hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped, but he hasn't done anything to deserve to retain his place either, if that makes sense.

Feb 8, 2005
I was disappointed that we didn't get Palmer as well, he was excellent for us in div 2 and I think he would have been excellent for us in div 1, but Lowe has decided that this is Cooper's time.

We shall see whether the manager is correct in his decision, although we will only know whether it was a good decision for the team by the end of the season, and in Cooper's case by knowing what Cooper's career becomes in the future.

Sep 6, 2006
vibratingspider":1hp1r7fn said:
For what it's worth, I don't think it's that there aren't any examples where Cooper was at fault this season, I think it's that people rightly can't be bothered to trawl back through 20 highlight videos making a note of which goals we should cite on a Pasoti thread as being the fault of our rookie keeper.

Personally, I've seen countless examples throughout the season where all I've seen is a keeper rooted to the spot, usually on his goal line, after the ball has hit the net. Often it's after he's failed to collect a cross and he's just stood there throwing his arms up in the air like a child who's been told to turn the Playstation off. And no, I'm not going to provide specific examples but that's more of a sign that I simply can't be arsed to find them all!

To those who say he's destined for the top, I honestly can't see it and maybe that negates much of what I've said above - I'm not claiming to know everything about goalkeeping but, like Cobi said earlier in the thread, Cooper just doesn't seem to make the showcase saves - I don't remember seeing many saves where I've thought "Blimey, how did he get to that?" - quite often, for me, it's the complete opposite. He doesn't make stinking mistakes often; he just doesn't make the saves that some may think he could have done better with.

To conclude, I agree with the OP - not signing Palmer has cost us dearly this season, and I've been saying the same things for a good few months now. Here's hoping RL has a look at the loan market in January - if Luke's not the answer as a backup, when we clearly need a change of personnel in goal, then why on earth did we sign him? If it's purely as a mentor, well it's not working.

So you have seen' countless examples' but can't remember any. :facepalm: Well thats very convincing. To respond to your point I don't think you ANYTHING about goalkeeping.
The weaknesses in our defence Wooton Canavan Watts(who seems immune to criticism) and a powder puff defence are well documented. THAT is the reason we are letting in goals. But its so easy and simplistic to blame a rookie keeper.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":27tyqgak said:
There haven't been any howlers that I can recall but as I've said, my concern is that he isn't making many telling or game winning contributions. Palmer, Matthews, McCormick, Roos etc, even Letheren to an extent, they would all make at least one major contribution per game in the form of a save that would make you stand and applaud. Cooper is doing the simple things well, he isn't making mistakes and he's saving the shots you'd expect him to save, but to go further he'll need to start making the saves you wouldn't expect him to make. He hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped, but he hasn't done anything to deserve to retain his place either, if that makes sense.

No it doesn't make sense. You are expecting him to make up for the inadequacies of the defence quite simply.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3klteldu said:
Cobi Budge":3klteldu said:

No it doesn't make sense. You are expecting him to make up for the inadequacies of the defence quite simply.

No, I'm just expecting to see something a bit more from him than the minimum you'd expect from a competent keeper, as even Matthews or McCormick did when we had a very good defence, I want to see him making a save every game or so that makes you think 'how did he get to that'. I like Cooper and having watched him in reserve/youth games, I know he's extremely talented, I just want to see a bit more of that on show now he's our no1.

Jun 27, 2019
Balham_Green":3404liep said:
vibratingspider":3404liep said:
For what it's worth, I don't think it's that there aren't any examples where Cooper was at fault this season, I think it's that people rightly can't be bothered to trawl back through 20 highlight videos making a note of which goals we should cite on a Pasoti thread as being the fault of our rookie keeper.

Personally, I've seen countless examples throughout the season where all I've seen is a keeper rooted to the spot, usually on his goal line, after the ball has hit the net. Often it's after he's failed to collect a cross and he's just stood there throwing his arms up in the air like a child who's been told to turn the Playstation off. And no, I'm not going to provide specific examples but that's more of a sign that I simply can't be arsed to find them all!

To those who say he's destined for the top, I honestly can't see it and maybe that negates much of what I've said above - I'm not claiming to know everything about goalkeeping but, like Cobi said earlier in the thread, Cooper just doesn't seem to make the showcase saves - I don't remember seeing many saves where I've thought "Blimey, how did he get to that?" - quite often, for me, it's the complete opposite. He doesn't make stinking mistakes often; he just doesn't make the saves that some may think he could have done better with.

To conclude, I agree with the OP - not signing Palmer has cost us dearly this season, and I've been saying the same things for a good few months now. Here's hoping RL has a look at the loan market in January - if Luke's not the answer as a backup, when we clearly need a change of personnel in goal, then why on earth did we sign him? If it's purely as a mentor, well it's not working.

So you have seen' countless examples' but can't remember any. :facepalm: Well thats very convincing. To respond to your point I don't think you ANYTHING about goalkeeping.
The weaknesses in our defence Wooton Canavan Watts(who seems immune to criticism) and a powder puff defence are well documented. THAT is the reason we are letting in goals. But its so easy and simplistic to blame a rookie keeper.

Our centre-backs have rightly been getting regular pelters for their poor displays, Watts included (though perhaps not as much as the others because he hasn't been quite as tragic). Not sure why you seem to think goalkeepers aren't part of a defence but Cooper is as much to blame for our goals-against record as the Muppet Show in front of him.

To throw your word back at you, it's simplistic to just blame the defenders and not the keeper behind them.

And as I asked earlier on the thread, if our defence is so bad and shipping so many chances then why is Cooper not winning regular man of the match awards? He's either keeping us in games or he isn't!

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
We've got one of the worst defences in the league, and people think this is all going to be sorted out by us bringing in a 37 year old who shouts "higher" all the time...

There is no evidence to suggest that Cooper is the problem with our goals against column. People are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. As others have said, he hasn't made a single howler this season - some goals he "could" have done better with, but it's League 1 ffs, they are very small errors that outfielders make every game. His distribution, pivotal to how we play, is way ahead of McCormick's. His shot stopping is at least on a par with Luke from 3 years ago, so one would assume with Luke's age that Cooper's would now be superior. He makes less "worldy" saves than Luke, but also fewer blunders.

Yes, there has been the very occasional cross/corner this season that Cooper has misjudged. Much like Luke in his previous stint with us, where teams targeted him at set pieces to great success (Wycombe in the playoffs anyone?).

An inferior goalkeeper who might shout more is not what we need right now. We need more ability in the back 3 and more protection from midfield.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":1ku27dkl said:
Balham_Green":1ku27dkl said:
vibratingspider":1ku27dkl said:

Our centre-backs have rightly been getting regular pelters for their poor displays, Watts included (though perhaps not as much as the others because he hasn't been quite as tragic). Not sure why you seem to think goalkeepers aren't part of a defence but Cooper is as much to blame for our goals-against record as the Muppet Show in front of him.

To throw your word back at you, it's simplistic to just blame the defenders and not the keeper behind them.

And as I asked earlier on the thread, if our defence is so bad and shipping so many chances then why is Cooper not winning regular man of the match awards? He's either keeping us in games or he isn't!

Cooper is not as muchto blame. Previous posters have been critical but then unable to give examples.Says it all. He's not perfect of course. Every player at this level makes many mistakes every game.
You don't make any sense. Because the defence is poor therefore Cooper should be mom :crazy: Expecting him to make up for others inadequacies!

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Balham_Green":dxzzip5d said:
WoodsyGreen":dxzzip5d said:
Balham_Green":dxzzip5d said:
vibratingspider":dxzzip5d said:

Cooper is not as muchto blame. Previous posters have been critical but then unable to give examples.Says it all. He's not perfect of course. Every player at this level makes many mistakes every game.
You don't make any sense. Because the defence is poor therefore Cooper should be mom :crazy: Expecting him to make up for others inadequacies!

:yawn: We've already addressed the "examples" bit. You really expect people to trawl through 20 videos of match highlights just so we can give you minute by minute commentary on Cooper's goalkeeping for the sole purpose of shutting down your meaningless argument? With (very limited) respect, I've got better things to do. Maybe watch a game or two and you'll see for yourself.

Sep 6, 2006
vibratingspider":1hgvspng said:
Balham_Green":1hgvspng said:
WoodsyGreen":1hgvspng said:
Balham_Green":1hgvspng said:
vibratingspider":1hgvspng said:

:yawn: We've already addressed the "examples" bit. You really expect people to trawl through 20 videos of match highlights just so we can give you minute by minute commentary on Cooper's goalkeeping for the sole purpose of shutting down your meaningless argument? With (very limited) respect, I've got better things to do. Maybe watch a game or two and you'll see for yourself.

I watch the games(unfortunately). If you were so unhappy with Coopers keeping surely you could remember SOMETHING without trawling through 20 videos. I suggest you watch the games properly in future perhaps with somebody who understands the game.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
vibratingspider":nqmkaepu said:
Balham_Green":nqmkaepu said:
WoodsyGreen":nqmkaepu said:
Balham_Green":nqmkaepu said:
vibratingspider":nqmkaepu said:

You seem to have had time to spend criticising a young player early in his career but you can’t be bothered to provide a few examples of what he is doing wrong. Your criticisms started before the season started.
Even I, who have a lot of respect for Mike Cooper’s performances, gave an example a few days ago; Rochdale’s second goal.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Balham_Green":27lkrpc7 said:
vibratingspider":27lkrpc7 said:
WoodsyGreen":27lkrpc7 said:
vibratingspider":27lkrpc7 said:

I watch the games(unfortunately). If you were so unhappy with Coopers keeping surely you could remember SOMETHING without trawling through 20 videos. I suggest you watch the games properly in future perhaps with somebody who understands the game.

I'm conscious of your reputation around here, so very reluctant to keep feeding you, but here's a few times I've questioned his decision making. We're not going to agree on this, and looking back through a few threads, you seem to be constantly defending the guy (I'll assume you're not the man himself, or a close relative) and it's clear that even supplying you with examples will do little to change your mind. Still, here's a few threads with examples. Knock yourself out, I'll leave this thread now as this is all rather pointless and a strong part of me thinks you're on a wind-up.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112704&p=2080875#p2080875
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112704&p=2080800#p2080800
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112548&p=2076964#p2076964

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
davie nine":2xaa94sm said:
vibratingspider":2xaa94sm said:
Balham_Green":2xaa94sm said:
WoodsyGreen":2xaa94sm said:
Balham_Green":2xaa94sm said:
vibratingspider":2xaa94sm said:

You seem to have had time to spend criticising a young player early in his career but you can’t be bothered to provide a few examples of what he is doing wrong. Your criticisms started before the season started.
Even I, who have a lot of respect for Mike Cooper’s performances, gave an example a few days ago; Rochdale’s second goal.
Have sent a few links across in my most recent post. Davie, it's not that I lack respect for his performances at all - I just think it's too soon for him to have that level of responsibility for us. I take the points others have made about our defence and I think they're absolutely right - our defence as a whole is shocking and it's of course not just Mike's fault we're conceding so many goals - I personally think it's RL's responsibility to protect Mike. The problem we have is that we have a shocking defence that seems unable to protect a rookie keeper. It's the perfect storm unfortunately. If we had a decent defence, Mike would have the protection that affords. Likewise, if we had a more experienced keeper then our defence might have a bit more confidence.

That said, regarding similar keepers, if you take someone like Alan Nicholls as an example - he was a fantastic keeper who started with us at a young age (20), but you could see he had something about him. Raw talent, but huge potential. I don't get that feeling with Mike. Like I said, it's not fair on him to shoulder the blame for our defensive failings, but the defence is a unit of four and Mike forms a rather critical part of it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Obviously, we have different opinions about Mike, who I have never met by the way, and I believe he has similar potential to what the unfortunate Alan Nicholls had.
However, I respect the fact that you have taken the trouble explain your thoughts in some detail.