Macclesfield game off (update: 7 point deduction) | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Macclesfield game off (update: 7 point deduction)

Tom Cobbley

Jam First
Aug 7, 2011
Oldham
They need to be dealt with, you have an obligation to fulfil a fixture. You cant please yourself and you need to discourage other teams from doing it.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":21ttdver said:
Really? Their pee poor management has caused a game to be postponed.

Sanctions are inevitable, and I fear they will be severe.
I agree. They've already had 6 points deducted with another 4 suspended. I'm sure those 4 will be triggered plus a further sanction.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":2bccprtn said:
Cobi Budge":2bccprtn said:
So we get punished/disadvantaged for something that was in no way our fault. I’ve got a lot of sympathy for Macclesfield’s plight, in particular for their players and fans, however if I a club can’t fulfil a fixture, particularly at such short notice, the other club should be awarded 3 points.

Games are postponed for all sorts of reasons, including safety issues which was the problem here. Tradition and common practice is for the match to be rearranged. If Macclesfield face further sanctions over the Argyle postponement then it would be extremely harsh.

Nonsense. However way they try to dress it up, they couldn’t afford to host the match.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Lundan Cabbie":1qwrzysm said:
Cobi Budge":1qwrzysm said:
So we get punished/disadvantaged for something that was in no way our fault. I’ve got a lot of sympathy for Macclesfield’s plight, in particular for their players and fans, however if I a club can’t fulfil a fixture, particularly at such short notice, the other club should be awarded 3 points.

Games are postponed for all sorts of reasons, including safety issues which was the problem here. Tradition and common practice is for the match to be rearranged. If Macclesfield face further sanctions over the Argyle postponement then it would be extremely harsh.

Sorry?

Sep 6, 2006
Keepitgreen":1q3rsht0 said:
IJN":1q3rsht0 said:

I agree. They've already had 6 points deducted with another 4 suspended. I'm sure those 4 will be triggered plus a further sanction.

And I reckon they should give the 4 to Argyle!

Apr 5, 2008
Not good news all this travelling in Febuary,going to be a fixture e backlog eventually ,what with this talk about a big freeze potentially starting from end of January lasting through much of Febuary.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Cabbie you live in a peculiar world. Argyle have been on the wrong end of this.
Apart from a 12 hour round journey and cost to the club (30 people in a hotel etc is an expense all league 2 clubs would rather avoid if its unnecessary). They now have to do it in February - a midweek game where they have less time to prepare etc.
Now if it's the weather fair enough, but it's not, it's down to gross incompetence of another club. Fair play has not been done as the home side are not inconvenienced in the same way.
Therefore the EFL have failed in their duty of care to treat all clubs equally.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":sxchgl5s said:

Surely the Chairman (ha!! :funny: ) cannot get away with officially announcing that, as far as they were concerned, the match was going ahead?!? This, after it had been called off by the EFL?

He can't just get away with that ... can he!? :think:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It looks like the verdict is today for Macclesfield postponing our game back in December. A seven point deduction is being mentioned.
That would put Macclesfield just 3 points above Stevenage who have a game in hand and could overtake them.
Such a big point deduction from the EFL points towards the season ending with average points per game used and no relegation.
So a meaningless punishment for Macclesfield.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Confirmed - a seven point deduction for postponing a game and for failure to pay players.

EFL statement

Mar 11, 2011
The EFL certainly don’t rush into making a decision on this sort of issue do they?

Interesting to read in their judgement that Macclesfield were instructed to pay Argyle £7,481.23 compensation for their wasted expenses, by 20th April. It wasn’t paid by the due date but was paid on the morning of 21st April, which just happened to be the date of the hearing, by which time the Macclesfield staff’s March wages had also been paid. Suggests that their owner can afford to pay the bills but chooses not to until he absolutely has to do so.

Oct 31, 2015
PL2 3DQ":1qqv9n4j said:
Confirmed - a seven point deduction for postponing a game and for failure to pay players.

EFL statement
What a waste of time, effort and Money FFS.

What is the point ( no pun intended) of this punishment?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
If Macclesfield have been handed a 7 point deduction then I am curious as to why Argyle have also not been awarded a 3-0 bye. It's unlikely the game will get to be played now and those 3 points would guarantee Argyle promotion.