Mayor keen to stay at Argyle | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor keen to stay at Argyle

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":i28qtgno said:
I will be honest. I have my doubts about him now.

Don’t get me wrong, he is the guy with the most creative ability we seen since Lameiras and Carey.

I have doubts because of a few things.

One is where he plays. It’s all great him skipping past a player from the half way line but then he has to beat more opponents to break them down. I’d rather see him do this in the final third. It’s not his fault Lowe has asked him to play a CM role but lm afraid he defends like a winger (eg goal away to Northampton with the header).

Two is his end product. Why do we love Carey? We love him because he had an end product. His last season wasn’t good. Yet before this he scored and created goals. We see flashes of brilliance from Mayor but there just isn’t any consistency. Yes we love Carey for his one off flashes of brilliance but that’s because it came with an end product.

People are on here talking about pushing on next season. Well you need much better performances than Mayor has given us this season. It’s harsh, yet l’d rather have someone who consistently crosses the ball well into the box or consistently makes good forward passes.

I dare say he will stay on next season. I just think first and foremost the system we play doesn’t suit him. All l’d say is he has stayed on the pitch numerous times this season when he hasn’t had a good second half. There is no surprise Argyle play well first half because he plays his best football then. Second half he disappears, just like Argyle.
Seconded. :thumbup:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":ec9p6mbu said:
Two is his end product. Why do we love Carey? We love him because he had an end product. His last season wasn’t good. Yet before this he scored and created goals. We see flashes of brilliance from Mayor but there just isn’t any consistency. Yes we love Carey for his one off flashes of brilliance but that’s because it came with an end product.

I didn't love Graham Carey because of his end product. I loved Graham Carey because he had the ability to produce a moment that would make your jaw drop. Sometimes it'd be a goal, but more often than not it was a pass or a piece of skill. And despite his skill, he was a grafter as well. He was the perfect forward player at our level. We shouldn't be judging DM by the same standard. They are different players. And I know people will throw Ryan Lowe's comment when he signed back at me, but RL made that comment to try and get the fans excited and move them on from GC's departure.

That being said, Danny Mayor has the same ability to make my jaw drop. The way he feints and drops past players, and then runs past 2, 3, 4, is ridiculous at this level. He's one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues, if not the best. He cares as well. You can see the passion when he reacts to goals. The amateur body language experts on PASOTI have done DM a real disservice of late. We'd all love him to score more often, but the guy is a very talented footballer and I would much rather have him on our team than playing against it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
mervyn":1w0jj084 said:
Ponty":1w0jj084 said:
Knibbsworth":1w0jj084 said:
IJN":1w0jj084 said:
Brilliant news.

We need more like him, but great news all the same.

Where is Graham Carey these days?

Imagine him motoring past Mayor’s left to have it off him.

Or working the right flank while Mayor stays left.
That would put a few on the gate if things were back to normal next season.

Still at CSK apparently

But leaving soon - out of contract. He's been an unused sub in recent games.

Jul 12, 2016
Nobby":3g6a1pe0 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3g6a1pe0 said:

I didn't love Graham Carey because of his end product. I loved Graham Carey because he had the ability to produce a moment that would make your jaw drop. Sometimes it'd be a goal, but more often than not it was a pass or a piece of skill. And despite his skill, he was a grafter as well. He was the perfect forward player at our level. We shouldn't be judging DM by the same standard. They are different players. And I know people will throw Ryan Lowe's comment when he signed back at me, but RL made that comment to try and get the fans excited and move them on from GC's departure.

That being said, Danny Mayor has the same ability to make my jaw drop. The way he feints and drops past players, and then runs past 2, 3, 4, is ridiculous at this level. He's one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues, if not the best. He cares as well. You can see the passion when he reacts to goals. The amateur body language experts on PASOTI have done DM a real disservice of late. We'd all love him to score more often, but the guy is a very talented footballer and I would much rather have him on our team than playing against it.
"The way he feints and drops past players and then runs past 2,3,4 is ridiculous at this level" but is very often to no avail.
Nice to watch granted but what is the point of being "one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues "if more often than not he loses the ball or hits a brick wall?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":3iz5xvma said:
Nobby":3iz5xvma said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3iz5xvma said:

"The way he feints and drops past players and then runs past 2,3,4 is ridiculous at this level" but is very often to no avail.
Nice to watch granted but what is the point of being "one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues "if more often than not he loses the ball or hits a brick wall?

Danny Mayor’s pass completion this season is 82.5%. Suggests he finds an Argyle player 4/5 times he has the ball. So wouldn’t class that as more often that not.

Jul 12, 2016
Nobby":1b1yhqm9 said:
oldage":1b1yhqm9 said:
Nobby":1b1yhqm9 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1b1yhqm9 said:

Danny Mayor’s pass completion this season is 82.5%. Suggests he finds an Argyle player 4/5 times he has the ball. So wouldn’t class that as more often that not.
Means nothing .Our defence also passes sideways and backwards but similarly little end result. No good having possession if you don't gain from it.

Jun 27, 2019
So Oldage, you aren't keen on Mayor because he lacks end product, but you also weren't keen on Steve Castle, a player who scored 21 goals in a single season. From midfield.

Just what does a midfielder have to do to impress you?

May 8, 2011
Good PR by the Club to get this interview out at a time when the management is under pressure.
That is definitely one area of the Club that has mproved since 2019.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":1ji39jcd said:
mervyn":1ji39jcd said:
Ponty":1ji39jcd said:
Knibbsworth":1ji39jcd said:
IJN":1ji39jcd said:
Brilliant news.

We need more like him, but great news all the same.

Where is Graham Carey these days?

Imagine him motoring past Mayor’s left to have it off him.

Or working the right flank while Mayor stays left.
That would put a few on the gate if things were back to normal next season.

Still at CSK apparently

But leaving soon - out of contract. He's been an unused sub in recent games.

How did the Carey song go?

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":2wpobgqe said:
So Oldage, you aren't keen on Mayor because he lacks end product, but you also weren't keen on Steve Castle, a player who scored 21 goals in a single season. From midfield.

Just what does a midfielder have to do to impress you?
To be fair I couldn't remember Steve Castle that well and because of that he didn't leave a lasting impression. To me Tynan and Trigger were legends. You ask what a midfielder has to do to impress me. Give 100% effort to the cause for more than one half , do the basics well with accurate passing on a consistent basis and drive the team forward, adding goals for good measure.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
From all your years of watching Argyle Oldage, who are the 3 or 4 midfielders you would say best met those qualities?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
HC Green":1us9i2ci said:
Good PR by the Club to get this interview out at a time when the management is under pressure.
That is definitely one area of the Club that has mproved since 2019.

FYI Graham Clark has left you a very informative response on another thread.
Doesn't look like you've spotted it :whistle:

Jul 12, 2016
jerryatricjanner":23wg12s2 said:
From all your years of watching Argyle Oldage, who are the 3 or 4 midfielders you would say best met those qualities?
Off the top of my head, Friio, Delve, Norris and Matthews.
Also Randell,Piper,Hodges etc etc

oldage":1m3smwww said:
jerryatricjanner":1m3smwww said:

Never felt Matthews got the credit he deserved. Perhaps had our best ever delivery of a dead ball.

Jul 12, 2016
mervyn":34awsemo said:
oldage":34awsemo said:
jerryatricjanner":34awsemo said:

Never felt Matthews got the credit he deserved. Perhaps had our best ever delivery of a dead ball.
Indeed.He wasn't the fastest but could spot a pass and deliver with pinpoint accuracy from distance. Class.