Mayor | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Pottypilgrim":2wop0dfx said:
rsp4":2wop0dfx said:
gru_mpy":2wop0dfx said:
The quicker we get the ball away from our defenders the better!

I have say totally agree with that quote :funny:

Ditto :lol: We should bin this 'playing it through the thirds' plan because we are not good enough. Diagonal ball to the edge of the opposition box and position a load of players around the target area to pick up the 2nd ball or support the big man up front who may have actually won the ball. Transition from back to front in one 'pass' and take away the risk of us messing it up with all the passes we make working the ball up the pitch. Worked for Luggy.

Wontvdo that unless Jurgen starts using this style

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Pottypilgrim":141glwfw said:
Ditto :lol: We should bin this 'playing it through the thirds' plan because we are not good enough. Diagonal ball to the edge of the opposition box and position a load of players around the target area to pick up the 2nd ball or support the big man up front who may have actually won the ball. Transition from back to front in one 'pass' and take away the risk of us messing it up with all the passes we make working the ball up the pitch. Worked for Luggy.

That is totally opposite to how Ryan Lowe AND Simon Hallett want Argyle to play, it’s not going to happen.

And actually a lot of our goals have come through the playing from the back, notably the Jephcott goal v Gillingham.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Biggs":3io7onbz said:
Pottypilgrim":3io7onbz said:

That is totally opposite to how Ryan Lowe AND Simon Hallett want Argyle to play, it’s not going to happen.

And actually a lot of our goals have come through the playing from the back, notably the Jephcott goal v Gillingham.
If you try to play decent, attack minded football then you have to accept sometimes it just won’t work because, well, sometimes things just don’t work (life’s a bummer like that),and sometimes because the opposition are good. But I’d rather watch my team fail trying to play good football rather than fail lumping it forward to a big bloke hoping for the best or fail trying to be ‘hard to break down’ hoping to nick something on the break…..Yes , yes much better if we succeed of course but we ain’t Barcelona so we aren’t always going to win are we ? ….and if we do win it is so much more enjoyable to see us win playing entertaining football than win some muscular attritional battle or just grind out a result. Don’t get me wrong I have my doubts about RL but I do like the basic philosophy he’s trying to instil and accept he’ll cock things up sometimes too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":2lccslyk said:
Pottypilgrim":2lccslyk said:

I'm somewhere between the two of you. I agree that we should attempt to play passing football where possible - the Gillingham goal proved that when it works and we can play through a high press, it is extremely effective. However, our centre backs aren't consistently good enough on the ball to play that system all the time, and when it isn't working, we need to work on a plan to play accurate long balls into the channels to gain territory, or hitting it up to a target man and playing off him.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":138brftq said:
Biggs":138brftq said:
Pottypilgrim":138brftq said:

I'm somewhere between the two of you. I agree that we should attempt to play passing football where possible - the Gillingham goal proved that when it works and we can play through a high press, it is extremely effective. However, our centre backs aren't consistently good enough on the ball to play that system all the time, and when it isn't working, we need to work on a plan to play accurate long balls into the channels to gain territory, or hitting it up to a target man and playing off him.

If the centre backs aren't good enough on the ball to make short passes into midfield against the press, what makes you think they'll be better passing it 40/50 yards into the channel (accurately) or to a target man?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Nobby":j0zia9lh said:
Dan Ellard":j0zia9lh said:
Biggs":j0zia9lh said:
Pottypilgrim":j0zia9lh said:

If the centre backs aren't good enough on the ball to make short passes into midfield against the press, what makes you think they'll be better passing it 40/50 yards into the channel (accurately) or to a target man?

For passing, read HOOOOFFFING Nobby. Lowe needs to stick to his style - he just needs one or two new defenders who are better at it.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":2qayxscd said:
Dan Ellard":2qayxscd said:
Biggs":2qayxscd said:
Pottypilgrim":2qayxscd said:

Losing the ball in their half of the pitch is far less bad than losing it in a dangerous area trying to play short. Also, a long pass obviously just requires one pass from one player - playing out through a high press requires a string of quick, very accurate passes from a number of players - at this level, that's difficult to do consistently.

Nov 2, 2004
If given an option in space Our defenders pass the ball ok. Our problems begin with midfielders who get closed down and fail to work any space.when McLeod plays it improves not because he is a good defender but because he finds space. The problem then returns because he is not fit to last 60 mins, he survives the first half then runs in treacle for as long as Lowe keeps him on. The alternative Fornah is just not fit for purpose, we need to replace Fornah much more urgently than a Centre half. Josh Grant would have massively improved this team.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":1mgvmb2w said:
Nobby":1mgvmb2w said:
Dan Ellard":1mgvmb2w said:
Biggs":1mgvmb2w said:
Pottypilgrim":1mgvmb2w said:

Losing the ball in their half of the pitch is far less bad than losing it in a dangerous area trying to play short. Also, a long pass obviously just requires one pass from one player - playing out through a high press requires a string of quick, very accurate passes from a number of players - at this level, that's difficult to do consistently.

I see your point, but going long sees us lose possession far more frequently. Aimson in particular is a terrible long range passer. We also do not have an adequate target man.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I agree, this is an issue with going long up to a conventional target man - Nouble is the closest to that but hasn't really shone so far this season. Thats why when we do go long I prefer us to hit the space in the channels for Hardie and Jephcott to make runs into.