Memories of Argyle Please Subscribe. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Memories of Argyle Please Subscribe.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
GreensOnScreen":3phaf4h9 said:
Vzzbxx and I have been talking (luckily his real name isn't such a mouthful :) ) and I'll be pointing to his clips from each of the associated match pages on GoS. I know that'll be like needles in a haystack though, so I'll give it some more thought.
You might have seen that I added indicators last week to the decade & season navigation in GoS's match page, to more easily find links to online videos. I've now added code to What's New on the home page to show updates, mainly to Vzzbxx's (Alec's) YouTube channel. Greens on Screen

And as the title of this thread says, if you use YouTube, please subscribe directly to the Memories of Argyle channel. :thumbs:

Plenty of updates since I last posted of various games from across the seasons! Birmingham in the League Cup run of 1973-74 and Wigan away in 2004-05 are today's updates. Other recents uploads include a 3-1 defeat in the FA Cup at Man City in 1987-88, A 3-2 win at Sunderland in 2006-07 and Tommy Tynan smashing all four goals in a 4-3 win against Blackburn in 1988-89.

Aug 10, 2006
Mark58":3jgkryk8 said:
Just watched the 93/94 compilation. I had completely forgotten what an incredible player Paul Dalton was for Argyle at that time. A Danny Mayor with goals! :scarf:
while danny mayor is a good player with as you say no end product ie goals he should score more paul Dalton was on a different level will never forget the goal he scored away at Wrexham 94.

Aug 10, 2006
watching the man city away fa cup game paul stewart elbow on Gerry mcelhinney knocked him spark out and he get's a yellow card imagine that today , somebody on football away days mentioned the 12,000 Argyle fans there that day well there were 7,000 from memory but 12 looks good, remember eddie large in his roller ian :wave:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Certainly do Neil, I can remember you in the back seat of my XR2 getting very excited about him giving you the thumbs up.

You should tell Chapman about it, as I apparently didn’t attend any away games until 2010!! :lol:

As for Dalton at Wrexham I can remember us at the time saying we’d never forget that goal and we haven’t. Great night that was. Mind you we went back just a season after and it was their turn to win 3-0, they (and we) couldn’t believe what a difference a season made.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
loyal1970":ksxhrspv said:
watching the man city away fa cup game paul stewart elbow on Gerry mcelhinney knocked him spark out and he get's a yellow card imagine that today , somebody on football away days mentioned the 12,000 Argyle fans there that day well there were 7,000 from memory but 12 looks good, remember eddie large in his roller ian :wave:
I drove a Mini Bus up there and parked it near the ground in Moss Side. I was worried all game about it still being there, undamaged, come 5 o'clock.

Regarding Paul Stewart, do you also recall that about 10 minutes after the incident you mentioned, City had a corner over on their right-hand side. As the ball was cleared upfield and all the players followed it out of the penalty box, Stewart was left in a heap on the floor holding his face courtesy of a deliberate and very painful back-elbow from Adrian Burrows.

Out of character for him but well-deserved for the recipient.

When the ball eventually went out of play, I remember the Referee going across to the Linesman who was standing there with both arms outstretched looking bewildered, obviously saying that he hadn't seen anything untoward.

Aug 8, 2013
Just watched the Birmingham quarter-final, which brought back
floods of memories. Steve Davey's goal was too fast for the
Westward cameras, but luckily I was sat right behind the goal, and
it's imprinted forever in my brain. Never noticed that elbow on Mariner,
though; that was truly vicious.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Gary S":f9r6awrw said:

Some stars in that Brum side too! Francis, Burns, Hatton, Latchford... :scarf:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Mike Charlick":34nhajhz said:
Gary S":34nhajhz said:

Some stars in that Brum side too! Francis, Burns, Hatton, Latchford... :scarf:

I was there despite it clashing with last day of school term :whistle:

Absolutely superb volley by Steve Davey, long kick out by Jim Furnell, flicked on by Mariner's head and smashed in by Davey. Thing I spotted on the video was not the goal as Westward TV missed it :sad: but the commentator claiming BOB Latchford was keeper which would explain our win. Bob was an England striker his brother Dave was usually the Brum keeper.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I saw every game in that League Cup run, including about 100 of us that attended the Burnley win.

The fog was mental that night and how that game finished I'll never know. Quite a trip that one, almost 18 hours there and back from memory.

For the youngies it was when the M5 started at Bristol. :greensmile:

Loving all these memories here, thanks for sharing everyone.

Talking of fog, was anyone else at the home game against Barnsley in 1988? A 0-0 draw on a Friday night in the worst fog I've seen at a football match. To this day I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened during the game. I won't be looking for highlights of that match there would be no point!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The worst I’ve ever seen was Kidderminster away in the FA Cup.

My God it was a real pea souper, couldn’t see a thing.

It was abandoned at half time.