Morecambe! | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Morecambe!

Dec 30, 2020
Joe Totale":emj1sn0e said:
Derek seems to be at his best as the underdog, counter attacking bigger teams and scrapping for points. He's best off staying at teams like Morecambe or Ross County.

A situation like Bradford where they expect to go up could be quite different but money often talks and the wages there must be substantially more.

Some fans have short memories, Adams did a good job and was the right man at the right time but the situation was turning toxic. Everyone recognised this and he left, nothing good would have come from Adams remaining for longer.

I completely agree with your last paragraph - Adams's departure has worked out well for both parties.

But there's literally nothing that bewilders me more on here than the persistent view that Adams was somehow a negative or defensive manager. We played some fantastic stuff during his first three years here - he almost always accommodated two flair players in his teams (Carey, Lameiras, Wylde, Kennedy etc) which virtually no lower league manager does, plus a goalscoring striker and midfielders like Fox, Boateng & Ness who liked to play the ball on the deck.

Morecambe's impressive goalscoring record suggests he has continued in this vein.

Nov 18, 2011
greenpilled":1b5g3t55 said:
Joe Totale":1b5g3t55 said:
Derek seems to be at his best as the underdog, counter attacking bigger teams and scrapping for points. He's best off staying at teams like Morecambe or Ross County.

A situation like Bradford where they expect to go up could be quite different but money often talks and the wages there must be substantially more.

Some fans have short memories, Adams did a good job and was the right man at the right time but the situation was turning toxic. Everyone recognised this and he left, nothing good would have come from Adams remaining for longer.

I completely agree with your last paragraph - Adams's departure has worked out well for both parties.

But there's literally nothing that bewilders me more on here than the persistent view that Adams was somehow a negative or defensive manager. We played some fantastic stuff during his first three years here - he almost always accommodated two flair players in his teams (Carey, Lameiras, Wylde, Kennedy etc) which virtually no lower league manager does, plus a goalscoring striker and midfielders like Fox, Boateng & Ness who liked to play the ball on the deck.

Morecambe's impressive goalscoring record suggests he has continued in this vein.

The style of play reminds me of Big Sam's Bolton. Most of the team is hard working players who the manager trusts, however there's always room for a couple of flair players, Bolton had Jay Jay Okocha, we had Carey.

Jul 28, 2020
greenpilled":1o7p7dcc said:
Joe Totale":1o7p7dcc said:

Agree with that.Would like to add Joel Grantā€™s name to your list. Loved watching Argyle during their re- surgance in league 1, for which the signing of ā€˜Daveā€™ ( sorry ā€˜Daveā€™ canā€™t spell your name ;) )formed the catalyst.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
St Just man":3dmc2c1m said:
Lundan Cabbie":3dmc2c1m said:
St Just man":3dmc2c1m said:
Firstly congratulations to Morecambe a nice club, The game that was a typical DA game Iā€™m against playoffs itā€™s a personal opinion and today the best footballing side lost.
That was awful to watch I bet we get them away first game.
I still cannot forget that 5-0 thrashing at Oxford heā€™s too much of a control freak and has no interest in supporters or anything that isnā€™t his view.

In tiers 2 & 3 should we return to just the top two being promoted and third missing out? We had a 13 year trial of giving third place automatic promotion but it added nothing extra to the last couple of months to the seasons so they came up with the play-offs.

I'd be interested in what, in your opinion they should be replaced with.
My opinion for what itā€™s worth top 3 go up the old system I believe the seasons results should decide it.
Top 3 on merit.

Top three is interesting. Apart from Division Four, third place was never a promotion place except for those 13 seasons that they persisted with but finally decided it brought nothing significant to the final run in. Would you return to just two automatic places and no play-offs?

Nov 18, 2011
No Play offs can leave too many teams with nothing to play for towards the end of the season. I'm a fan of them.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Not having the play offs would lead to there being far too many dead rubber games toward the end of the season, in my view. Plus, they provide great entertainment/drama.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Not sure how Iā€™d feel if we finished third in the Championship, 10 points clear of the team in seventh, and lost to them in the playoff final.

Lundan Cabbie

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":jn3m39es said:
Not sure how Iā€™d feel if we finished third in the Championship, 10 points clear of the team in seventh, and lost to them in the playoff final.

Would you rather just the top two went up and third place was "unlucky mate, try again next year" as it was for over 90 years? At least now, if you finish third you get a bonus opportunity for promotion as do 4th, 5th and 6th. (not 7th ;) )

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If you had supported a club for 60+ years and it had never reached the top league, perhaps even you could understand how frustrated I would feel if my team had finished 3rd after 46 games but was deprived by the results of 2 or 3 extra games by the team that had finished well below us on points.
Obviously, if the roles were reversed and we were promoted, I would be very happy.
A selfish but understandable attitude, I suggest.

Lundan Cabbie

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":jug9cdco said:
If you had supported a club for 60+ years and it had never reached the top league, perhaps even you could understand how frustrated I would feel if my team had finished 3rd after 46 games but was deprived by the results of 2 or 3 extra games by the team that had finished well below us on points.
Obviously, if the roles were reversed and we were promoted, I would be very happy.
A selfish but understandable attitude, I suggest.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. However you could do what Palace did in 2004 who sneaked into the play-offs thanks to an 89th minute West Ham equaliser at Wigan on the last day of the season and then repaid the Hammers by beating them in the play-off final. I promise you, you will love it. :greensmile:

jespafc":12s8z228 said:
Beacongreen":12s8z228 said:
Will Argyle finish higher in the league than Morecambe next season.

If Derek Adams remains as Morecambe manager, I know who'd I'd put my money on.

I think if DA avoids relegation it will be as big a feat as getting them there in the first place. Winning play-offs is all about momentum plus a bit of luck, and I guess Newport fans will be feeling particularly sore now, as they were the better side on the day.

I was always a DA fan, whilst feeling that it was definitely a time for change when he went. I wonder with hindsight if he was simply given too wide a role at Argyle, and had he had the support team that SH has since created at the club, things may have turned out differently. Hope he succeeds, whatever he does next.

Liam Vercoe

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 27, 2010
Adams has left Morecombe to presumably take up the vacant manager's position at Bradford.