Neil Warnock | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Neil Warnock

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Kevin Hodges is, and always will be, a legend, Paul Sturrock also and Neil Warnock to a lesser extent.

They should be welcomed back as guests at any time but that does not mean that they would be appropriate to return in an official role at the club.

That should only happen if the manager was comfortable with the arrangement.

May 16, 2016
gaspargomez":30z66u4b said:
Why is it that people who have been successful for Argyle attract so much criticism on this forum ?

The likes of Warnock, Sturrock and Kevin Hodges have all been rubbished on PASOTI- even though they were absolute heroes in their day and only did positive things for this club.

I just don't get it. They remain football legends in my mind.

It is baffling. In the case of Warnock, regardless of his 'dinosaur' style, the fact a guy pushing into his 70s is still being looked at as someone with potential for any Club is testament to his ability.

It's probably true to say he may have fallen out with a fair few Owners and Chairman over the Years but it has never made him unemployable. His style might not be what purists want but he has been , for the majority, 'effective'.

He wouldn't be my choice personally, but there does seem to have been a shift in opinion on here. When he got booted out by McCauley there was a degree of sympathy around HP for him. For Years he was the 'Go to' Guy, now he's the 'Get out' Guy, where and when did this all change.

Even Ryan Lowe was failing 'interviews' on here before eventually being sponsored by PASOTI ! :)

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
gaspargomez":70imriep said:
Why is it that people who have been successful for Argyle attract so much criticism on this forum ?

The likes of Warnock, Sturrock and Kevin Hodges have all been rubbished on PASOTI- even though they were absolute heroes in their day and only did positive things for this club.

I just don't get it. They remain football legends in my mind.
:iagree:

Sep 25, 2010
Warnock will never be a legend at PAFC, of course he is a go to person for advice, yes.

Bur legend, never.

Aug 5, 2015
He did however get us out of the basement fairly quickly, took us to Wembley for the first time ever and got us promoted. If that’s not legendary then I don’t know what is.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Kentishgreen":3rcptmsz said:
He did however get us out of the basement fairly quickly, took us to Wembley for the first time ever and got us promoted. If that’s not legendary then I don’t know what is.

As IJN has already alluded to and as history will show, MacCauley threw money at that side and we should have finished higher than our 4th position suggested.

Jan 27, 2012
Ross":2rjparog said:
Kentishgreen":2rjparog said:

As IJN has already alluded to and as history will show, MacCauley threw money at that side and we should have finished higher than our 4th position suggested.

Well IJN is wrong.

Warnock got us promoted in his first season- what more do you want for crying out loud ?
That's good enough for me !!

The team was in complete disarray when Warnock took over if I remember correctly. He rebuilt things from scratch.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Ross":1zv857tf said:
Kentishgreen":1zv857tf said:

You missed the "end of"... :roll:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
gaspargomez":3d1rktzx said:
Well IJN is wrong.

Warnock got us promoted in his first season- what more do you want for crying out loud ?

The team was in complete disarray when Warnock took over if I remember correctly. He rebuilt things from scratch.

The football was terrible. Apart from the wonderful semi final at Home Park.

A real example of results over performance. As for the final?! :facepalm:

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
gaspargomez":32sgc829 said:
Ross":32sgc829 said:
Kentishgreen":32sgc829 said:

Well IJN is wrong.

He spent - in what would be today's money - over 500k on 3 players. 500k for a 4th tier side! We should have gone up as Champions for that sort of outlay.

His tenure is memorable for 2 consecutive games. He is nowhere near the same level of what Paul Sturrock has achieved for our club and shouldn't be be considered a legend.

Aug 5, 2015
I agree with that bit too. However he did get us promoted at the first attempt despite Macauley whose ego was almost as big as Boris’.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I really do not think there is a need to 'knock back' Warnock as a manager. He may not have got Argyle as high up the Divisions at any point in the season, as Smith, Holloway and Sturrock, but nevertheless, as an ex-Argyle manager he went on to become a manager in the Premiership, together with Holloway and Pulis, for clubs that were not 'dripping' in wealth,, save for their annual wadge achieved through SKY monies. There are a lot of League managers outside the Premiership who would like to have achieved that status. A damn sight better than being a chiropodist for which he trained after playing the game.