Open Supporters Meeting 11am Saturday - Speaker James Brent | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Open Supporters Meeting 11am Saturday - Speaker James Brent

Oct 24, 2010
I think it can be taken from what he said that there will be one,or more, Contingency Planners on his board, but he firmly rejected a Trust representative.

A

Anonymous

esmer":1ryhb8jf said:
I think it can be taken from what he said that there will be one,or more, Contingency Planners on his board, but he firmly rejected a Trust representative.

You are wrong esmer.

I respond to you in a personal capacity not

There is no in principle objection to the idea of a Trust Board member for JB. The issues/barries are plenty though and PERSONALLY I agree with him.

1. We could find the perfect person to represent supporters but what happens if he/she quits or he/she isn't re-elected. We all know that in reality most elections are a popularity contest. That is no way to elect somebody onto the Argyle board - we've had enough of that in the past.

2. Tying the Trusts hands. The Trust has been at its most effective over the last few months as an independent force working with the Club on some issues but having the choice of veto on others. Having a Trust member on the board would tie the hands of that individual and also see the blame for any negative decisions (price rises, player sales etc) laid at the fans reps doorstep.

In my view there is a great balance to be had. I would love to see the supporters own a % of the Club via the Trust and for the Trust to have a formal engagement agreement with the Club that would see supporters views taken onboard. I think JB is up for that and it is something we should push hard for.

Anyhow as I said, not the views of the society board or the members but just my observations / comments on how we can push the Trust to the next level.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
tonycholwell":pp84xqh7 said:
monkeywrench":pp84xqh7 said:
GregCampbellFanClub":pp84xqh7 said:
so then tony, does this mean that the trust are going to be disappointed in their quest to get on the board ?..........it will break their hearts.

Nasty unnecessary post.

I was only reporting what was said, I hope it didnt appear partial.

My impression was there would be no Trust Board member elected to position but that in thte Directors chosen the fans would be well represented. I thought the inferrence from that was quite clear.

Sorry tony, wasn't referring to you. I think I may have misread or misunderstood. I should know better than to post things first thing in the morning when half asleep!

Apologies.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Chris Webb":3piq4jie said:
esmer":3piq4jie said:

You are wrong esmer.

There is no in principle objection to the idea of a Trust Board member for JB. The issues/barries are plenty though and PERSONALLY I agree with him.

1. We could find the perfect person to represent supporters but what happens if he/she quits or he/she isn't re-elected. We all know that in reality most elections are a popularity contest. That is no way to elect somebody onto the Argyle board - we've had enough of that in the past.

2. Tying the Trusts hands. The Trust has been at its most effective over the last few months as an independent force working with the Club on some issues but having the choice of veto on others. Having a Trust member on the board would tie the hands of that individual and also see the blame for any negative decisions (price rises, player sales etc) laid at the fans reps doorstep.

In my view there is a great balance to be had. I would love to see the supporters own a % of the Club via the Trust and for the Trust to have a formal engagement agreement with the Club that would see supporters views taken onboard. I think JB is up for that and it is something we should push hard for.

Anyhow as I said, not the views of the society board or the members but just my observations / comments on how we can push the Trust to the next level.

Spot on in my opinion Chris.

And mate, that beard has got to go! I saw it on the GOS footage. Very sinister indeed!!! Hurry up with the takeover James!!!! :)

A

Anonymous

monkeywrench":16c4q5pa said:
Chris Webb":16c4q5pa said:
esmer":16c4q5pa said:

You are wrong esmer.

I respond to you in a personal capacity not on behalf if the Trust

Spot on in my opinion Chris.

And mate, that beard has got to go! I saw it on the GOS footage. Very sinister indeed!!! Hurry up with the takeover James!!!! :)

Haha, Its grim now mate. I did pull James Brent to one side yesterday and beg him to speed things up. Mind you it could be worse. IJN looks like a Badger has attached itself to his face!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Laughter My Ploy":28j1s4rs said:
I would also hate if fans sleep walk into another financial meltdown....never again must we casually accept what a board is doing to the club....a fans group should asking if the bills have been paid....that plans have been costed...etc....there are 13 million reasons for keeping our collective beady eyes open

Investors can ask such things. Mere customers cannot. Can't see that changing. Even in the warped business of pro football.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
monkeywrench":23qh9cem said:
tonycholwell":23qh9cem said:
monkeywrench":23qh9cem said:
GregCampbellFanClub":23qh9cem said:
so then tony, does this mean that the trust are going to be disappointed in their quest to get on the board ?..........it will break their hearts.

Nasty unnecessary post.

I was only reporting what was said, I hope it didnt appear partial.

My impression was there would be no Trust Board member elected to position but that in thte Directors chosen the fans would be well represented. I thought the inferrence from that was quite clear.

Sorry tony, wasn't referring to you. I think I may have misread or misunderstood. I should know better than to post things first thing in the morning when half asleep!

Apologies.

Monkey, no problem matey, I didnt think I was your intended victim as you know my office door is always open to you :greensmile:

A

Anonymous

Chris Webb":3kuowlpd said:
esmer":3kuowlpd said:

You are wrong esmer.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Chris has said. It was also my strongly held view whilst holding the position of Chair of the ISC of the Trust although that was not at the a time unanimously held view of the ISC. Having a Trust member on a Board would weaken its authoritative and independent voice. Although members of the Society Board are subject to election, as Chris has suggested any nominated appointee to the Board from the Trust would be open to compromise and lack of transparancy. Put simply it would not work. As far as share ownership goes, due to the legal entity that forms the backbone of the Trust it means they are the natural home for supporter share ownership which I feel has to be earned (i'e. bought) and not given if it is to have any value. This has worked well at other clubs and ensures proper representation in the corporate structure of the football club business.

I think it is also appropriate to say that moving forward it is important that all supporters groups are properly recognised and represented in whatever corporate governance structure emerges. Proper consultation and involvement should underpin and strengthen the unity that our fanbase has uniquely achieved in recent months. I was an advocate of that in my time as Chair and my involvement with the Contingency Plan Committee has demonstrated that under the most demanding of circumstances it can work with great effect. The Trust would obviously be a major force in whatever is set up but it is important that other supporter groups are recognised too. All have played a role to varying degrees in getting us to the brink of salvation.

In my view it is that this unity so uniquely and emotionally discharged on and off the pitch yesterday is the essential quality or building block that will ensure our great club can emerge from the traumas of the last nine months and begin its climb back towards the Championship.

R

Rupert

As an 'outsider' with no involvement in the Trust, I also think that the notion of a Trust representative on Argyle's new board of directors is a non-starter. It would not fit the Trust's need to maintain independence and the right to question the club's direction in public. Also, a lot of boardroom business rightly remains confidential, which could put a Trust representative in a very difficult position, given the Trust's commendable commitment to transparency and communication.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Graham , you said: Having a Trust member on a Board would weaken its authoritative and independent voice. Although members of the Society Board are subject to election, as Chris has suggested any nominated appointee to the Board from the Trust would be open to compromise and lack of transparancy. Put simply it would not work.

That is your opinion and I respect it, but there is no basis in evidence for your remarks - they are simply assertions... many other clubs have supporters on the Board and good governance has allowed for independence to be retained.

I believe that the Trust has a responsibility to research different models of the way forward, put them in front of its members and ask them to take a view - which the Society Board should then act upon.

We may be on the verge of a benevolent owner but we need to be moving towards a sustainable position of real input and influence over time. Simply asking for a few crumbs off the table when a less palateable successor comes along would I think leave us back at square one.

A

Anonymous

We have always had a friendly disagreement over this and equally I have respected your view. As you say, ultimately, it is a matter for the Trust membership and the Society Board to determine the Trust's position on this.

Virtually,every Football League club has a Trust that represents its members views on a properly constituted basis. Relatively few have supporter representation as a Board member. This may be for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure that a properly constructed consultative process and involvement together with a structured purchase of share ownership represents 'crumbs from the table'. It will still mean that supporters will have an independent and authoritative voice. A supporter's representative on the Board would be in danger of being consistently outvoted and impotent as well as frequently compromised.

For me that would be an unacceptable price of representation and in my view share ownership would be a more appropriate goal.