Open Supporters Meeting 11am Saturday - Speaker James Brent | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Open Supporters Meeting 11am Saturday - Speaker James Brent

A

Anonymous

I can't think of a worse position than a Fan's Rep on a board.

Imagine it. the price of tickets has to go up, the people on here (and everywhere else) go bananas and the Chairman simply says, talk to your Fan's Rep'.

It's a difficult one and there are merits to both of your arguments.

N

Neil Corner

Chris Webb":1vrl6mpc said:
Videos from the meeting for anyone who hasn't picked them up from the other thread

A massive thank you to all involved in making it possible to share those videos with the fanbase. As an exile I'm extremely grateful. :clap:

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
In the immediate situation after the takeover by a new owner in which the supporters have no direct financial stake in the club: I believe we have no right to direct representation where decisions are made, in the Boardroom. A consultative process would be very welcome in that situation to ensure supporters' views are heard at Board level. The appointment of a well known fan to the Board in these circumstances would be very welcome but, to my mind, it would not be "supporter representation", as such, simply because that person would have no accountability to members.

However, if the Trust makes a major financial contribution to the club, to help make a major acquisition or whatever, then I believe that it should have an equity share in the organisation in return for its investment. At that stage simple good governance dictates representation by a shareholder (in this case the supporters - the Trust) on the Board.

The opponents of this are using potential divided loyalties or even forecast conflict of interest to argue against good governance practise. They MAY have a point but I would find it extremely disappointing if the Society Board of the Trust was to rule this out without having considered it beyond merely placing individual opinions (in either direction) on the matter as handed down wisdom and requiring the membership to go along with it.

I believe that the Society Board, in order to do its job, must devise a series of options, ased upon practise elesewhere in this and other European countries and discuss them with the membership and the new ownership. There is no rush for this, as the Trust has yet to make any financial contribution to the club. So, I am calling on the Society Board to carry out this investigation and to set out a draft timeline for a discussion process.

Just to remind serving members of the Society Board of the Rules that they are serving under, especially Rule v. which states that they should "encourage and promote the principle of supporter representation on the board of any company owning or controlling the Club and ultimately to be the vehicle for democratic elections to the board".

Clearly that goal has been a subsidiary one to helping the club to survive which has been the primary (if not sole) aim of the Trust to date and one which it has, under successive Chairs, carried out magnificently (and all of those Chairs must take enormous credit for the work they have done). But as we sail into calmer waters (fingers crossed smiley), then the focus of the Society Board must move to this objective and I would expect all its members - by definition as serving officers of the Trust - to commit to adhering to its goals.

Just to note that James Brent (on Saturday in the Pyramid Suite) did not indicate that he did not want supporter representation on the Board - he indicated that he wants a competent Board (quite right too) and would be anxious that an electoral process to elect a Trust Representative may lead to someone who was not competent being elected. A good point but it does not necessarily provide an insurmountable hurdle to overcome surely?

Peter Ryan.

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
Just watched the you tubes on GOS.

Chris Webbs opening line re waiting for Heaney was first class.

James Brent appears to be exactly what we need. No spin, honest answers and a new board.

And didn't the Devonport do him proud.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Would it not be possible to reverse the process and ask for a future PAFC Board member to take a place on the Board of the Trust, co-opted if necessary? This would seem to me to fulfil the requirements of both sides of this debate.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Having read both Graham Clark's and Rhino's opinion, I firmly believe that Rhino has the answer.

Supporters' Trusts throughout the country are purchasing shares in their club.

Oldham Athletic Trust owns 3% (£200,000) in their club and have a Supporters Director on the Board of Directors - they raised £100,000 from one charity match. Norwich City Trust have been purchasing shares over a period of time, for the main purpose of getting someone on the Board of Directors - the list goes on.

The Supporters Director needs to be experienced and worthy of the position, able to contribute towards the running of the club.

After all, in the words of Delia Smith, 'the Supporters are the Club'.

L

Laughter My Ploy

Trev501":16n09gj5 said:
Would it not be possible to reverse the process and ask for a future PAFC Board member to take a place on the Board of the Trust, co-opted if necessary? This would seem to me to fulfil the requirements of both sides of this debate.

What a nice idea....hope it doesn't get lost in what the Trust should or shouldn't be trying for a place on the board (though the position from Chris Webb posts on the subject it seems quite clear) and if we like Peter Jones or not

A

Anonymous

Laughter My Ploy":9kpd11zc said:
Trev501":9kpd11zc said:

What a nice idea....hope it doesn't get lost in what the Trust should or shouldn't be trying for a place on the board (though the position from Chris Webb posts on the subject it seems quite clear) and if we like Peter Jones or not

My personal views are irrelevant LMP. This will be a path chosen by the membership.

However as I have been trying to say - lets concentrate on getting James Brent over the line. Too many people are jumping the gun here. The Club is still on a knife edge. All our concentration should still be on saving Argyle not on carving up the celebratory cake.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Chris Webb":2sp8xdwu said:
Laughter My Ploy":2sp8xdwu said:
Trev501":2sp8xdwu said:

My personal views are irrelevant LMP. This will be a path chosen by the membership.

However as I have been trying to say - lets concentrate on getting James Brent over the line. Too many people are jumping the gun here. The Club is still on a knife edge. All our concentration should still be on saving Argyle not on carving up the celebratory cake.

Chris, as often, but not exclusively, you make a sensible point :greensmile:

However, we the foot soldiers of the GA can do little to help JB over any line. It is now down to him and his team to do the final work whilst we can only stand and stare (blimey, thats almost poetic!)

So, in the meantime, we are trying to help him sift the wheat from the chaff and expecting, silently, for him to surprise us all anyway. Remember, prior preperation prevents p*ss poor performance.

A

Anonymous

tonycholwell":3jw1gqym said:
Chris Webb":3jw1gqym said:
Laughter My Ploy":3jw1gqym said:
Trev501":3jw1gqym said:

However, we the foot soldiers of the GA can do little to help JB over any line. It is now down to him and his team to do the final work whilst we can only stand and stare (blimey, thats almost poetic!)

So, in the meantime, we are trying to help him sift the wheat from the chaff and expecting, silently, for him to surprise us all anyway. Remember, prior preperation prevents p*ss poor performance.

Tony

I am sure James Brent will be eternally grateful for the idea of a Season ticket holders association. That is up there with the "will you run the free buses?" in his list of priorities I would imagine ;)

I completely disagree with your view that the supporters can do nothing now to assist James Brent. I know for a fact that after seeing Argyle and the fans in person on Saturday he is now more determined than ever to seal the deal for the club (he wasn't even put off by meeting you :greensmile: ). What Argyle fans can do is to continue inspiring James Brent via our passion, loyalty and belief in the Club.

This alongside the fact that James Brent knows the Trust / wider fanbase is ready to put pressure on any stakeholder who plays hardball is a great boost to him. I know you are a champion of the individual voice Tony, but sometimes sticking together can work.

Chris

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Chris Webb":232gdrl5 said:
tonycholwell":232gdrl5 said:
Chris Webb":232gdrl5 said:
Laughter My Ploy":232gdrl5 said:
Trev501":232gdrl5 said:

Tony

I am sure James Brent will be eternally grateful for the idea of a Season ticket holders association. That is up there with the "will you run the free buses?" in his list of priorities I would imagine ;)

I completely disagree with your view that the supporters can do nothing now to assist James Brent. I know for a fact that after seeing Argyle and the fans in person on Saturday he is now more determined than ever to seal the deal for the club (he wasn't even put off by meeting you :greensmile: ). What Argyle fans can do is to continue inspiring James Brent via our passion, loyalty and belief in the Club.

This alongside the fact that James Brent knows the Trust / wider fanbase is ready to put pressure on any stakeholder who plays hardball is a great boost to him. I know you are a champion of the individual voice Tony, but sometimes sticking together can work.

Chris

I completely disagree with you.....................lol, those few words have become your trademark of late and I rather like it :greensmile:

Now, As Argyle have 4,000 odd ST holders who tend to maintain membership an annual survey at least with renewals seems a sensible action. These are real fans laying out real money and doing it every year. Anyone in business values (or should) such people as they tend to be sold on the product and only need the opportunity and method to renew. Now that is good business, if you ask people their opinion, as James was doing Saturday, that to is very good business. Tony Campbell understood exactly what he was doing with the buses, small price big gain. Just a shame others were attacking the fabric of the club at the same time.

I think you mis read JB if you think he will be put off now, I didnt sense that and he has the capability and experience in himself and his team to complete. But then I think the GA are as buoyant as at any time over the past 3 years and with good reason and are in high spirits.

And as you quite rightly pointed out he wasnt even put off by meeting me, an honour I am sure he will always cherish :greensmile: Interestingly, he appeareed to know who Esmer and myself were anyway and I took his boyish smile as approval of our free wheeling, devil may care independence.

If you dont think he will complete, I'll happily take that bet!

A

Anonymous

tonycholwell":1yokjwxn said:
Chris Webb":1yokjwxn said:
tonycholwell":1yokjwxn said:
Chris Webb":1yokjwxn said:
Laughter My Ploy":1yokjwxn said:
Trev501":1yokjwxn said:

Tony

Chris

I completely disagree with you.....................lol, those few words have become your trademark of late and I rather like it :greensmile:

Now, As Argyle have 4,000 odd ST holders who tend to maintain membership an annual survey at least with renewals seems a sensible action. These are real fans laying out real money and doing it every year. Anyone in business values (or should) such people as they tend to be sold on the product and only need the opportunity and method to renew. Now that is good business, if you ask people their opinion, as James was doing Saturday, that to is very good business. Tony Campbell understood exactly what he was doing with the buses, small price big gain. Just a shame others were attacking the fabric of the club at the same time.

I think you mis read JB if you think he will be put off now, I didnt sense that and he has the capability and experience in himself and his team to complete. But then I think the GA are as buoyant as at any time over the past 3 years and with good reason and are in high spirits.

And as you quite rightly pointed out he wasnt even put off by meeting me, an honour I am sure he will always cherish :greensmile: Interestingly, he appeareed to know who Esmer and myself were anyway and I took his boyish smile as approval of our free wheeling, devil may care independence.

If you dont think he will complete, I'll happily take that bet!

Tony

I completely disagree with your post - no actually I do but that debate is for another day.

I too think JB will cross the line but it isn't easy. The Council, Lombard, Mastpoint, Old Trust, PFA, Staff and individual players all have to be in line. One out and the deals off. All I am saying is that getting the deal over the line has to be the number one priority.

If you want to start a season ticket holders club after then go ahead. Oh by the way I am a season ticket holder and I will never join your club - ;)

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Chris Webb":2iak8v93 said:
If you want to start a season ticket holders club after then go ahead. Oh by the way I am a season ticket holder and I will never join your club - ;)

Good grief, I wouldnt join any club that would have me:)

Anyway, its not a matter of forming a club, although people are perfectly entitled to, its the CLUB having 4,000 core customers who pay whatever, that any business would love to have and tap into. Thats what business does, ask JB, those that dont, like Argyle, get themselves into a pickle and dont maximise their customer base.