Orient - positive COVID test (2 at PAFC test positive) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Orient - positive COVID test (2 at PAFC test positive)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Maybe if you made your point in a sensible way instead of acting in a way that a 5yr old would feel embarrassed about, more of your posts would stay. It’s not what you say, but the way you say it.

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":vynyrjmy said:
Ponty":vynyrjmy said:
It may be time to put people before football?
This could quickly spiral out of control.

Surely anyone can see that it already is. A couple of positives here, a few there, training carries on and games don't get cancelled.

The virus has an incubation period. Players who may have provided negative tests may become infectious hours or a day or two later.

The time to put people first has gone. The season should never have started.

There is a balance to be struck. We could all stay in bed for 18 months I suppose. Not much chance of a small number of athletes contributing massively to the infection rates by playing football compared to pubs being open etc. Anyway I think you are confused(not for the first time). You seem to think if you have a negative test you may still have the virus but not be infectious.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Big Green Limo":23zkga9t said:
The Doctor":23zkga9t said:
JannerinCardiff":23zkga9t said:
We can safely say that Ryan Lowe wasn’t one of the non- playing staff that tested positive for Covid-19 - he did a press conference and spoke about the upcoming Shrewsbury match on Sat.

Or Telford the player for the same reason.

I'm not sure it is fair to simply criticise Leyton Orient as some have. For all we know Argyle might have had asymptomatic cases in the squad that had nothing to do with the Carabao Cup game. Orient didn't know they had cases until Spurs paid for them to be tested. It's even possible that someone from Argyle passed it on to someone from Orient. I know that there is an obvious pathway/timeline that transmits the virus from an Orient player (ill before the Argyle game) within their squad and into the Argyle squad also, but that's not the only way that positive tests could arise in both squads at the same time by any means. You'd probably find that if all League 1 and League 2 clubs tested their squads now, quite a few would have positive tests showing up.

"It's even possible that someone from Argyle passed it on to someone from Orient." - finally someone is allowed to state the truth without fear of being suspended !
Lucky Ryan didn't test positive given that he stopped his car on way into game v QPR and did a selfie with 2 fans in close contact without anyone wearing face coverings !
Do fans count in the EFL Team Covid 19 bubble ?
Answers on the back of a non-refundable £50 note to ..................... the PASOTI Administrator (but guess no one will get to read this (again!)
Stay Covid free guys
Here we go, your fifteen minutes of fame.

I hope you're spot on in your accusations because they're pretty serious.
That's why I removed them but we discussed it as a group and it was decided to let you have your say.

Jul 29, 2010
Balham_Green":1hozf93c said:
X Isle":1hozf93c said:
Ponty":1hozf93c said:

Surely anyone can see that it already is. A couple of positives here, a few there, training carries on and games don't get cancelled.

The virus has an incubation period. Players who may have provided negative tests may become infectious hours or a day or two later.

The time to put people first has gone. The season should never have started.

There is a balance to be struck. We could all stay in bed for 18 months I suppose. Not much chance of a small number of athletes contributing massively to the infection rates by playing football compared to pubs being open etc. Anyway I think you are confused(not for the first time). You seem to think if you have a negative test you may still have the virus but not be infectious.

Erm, yes that is indeed how incubation works. You have it but it hasn't yet manifested itself into a 100% detectable form.

As an analogy a virus test is a just like an MOT. At that specific point in time the worn timing belt hadn't failed so couldn't be detected ergo the vehicle was given the all clear... but the damage is very much there and the engine can and will still blow up at any moment.

I hope that assists you with your perpetual confusion.

If you have supreme confidence in the fact that the rest of the squad has tested negative we won't have further positive tests then you are a fool. More of our squad, including those who've tested negative in this round of testing, WILL be diagnosed with Covid in the next week or two. I guarantee it.

The cat is out of the bag and this season will not see the light of November, let alone Christmas.

Best guess the season will limp on with the games cancelled here and there growing in number. But the second the government announces its support package the league will take it and that'll be that. The FA cup will end with the EFL and National League and the only football we'll see is the fully 'bubbled', regularly tested Premier league and possibly the Carabao Cup if we're just left with PL teams by the time of the closure and possibly the FA cup if they do a contrived mini PL only tournament.

Just listen to the mood music, look around you, go try and buy a pack of toilet rolls... if you still believe this season will end, normally, in May, then you are a frickin' bark at the moon loon :crazy:

Give it up, it is over.

Mar 14, 2009
See lm more sceptical when people say the season will be stoped.

If the EFL cared about the players safety then testing would be done on premier league levels. However, they aren’t because lm guessing it down to money. Not just money with regards what it will cost in testing but the money these clubs would lose if the season was suspended.

I think they are going to plough on regardless. I look back at Liverpool and Athletico Madrid Champions league game at Anfield. It went ahead, when it shouldn’t of. The authorities, football and goverment, are very slow to react.

It would be catastrophic for football and it’s impact on their communities. You hear the desperation for them 5o get crowds back, so to go even further and suspend football will be disaster. If they really wanted to put players health first the EFL would insist now on testing every week. That tells me all I need to know. I’m not saying Argyle is putting their players health at risk btw as they are following the guidelines. I’m just saying the authorities don’t want to suspend football and so this is why we don’t get wide spread testing every week across the football league as the tests would produce chaos to the fixture list. The football governing bodies want to plough on with as little disruption.

Again, if you think this isn’t the case just look at Leyton Orient having to forfeit the game against Spurs. The authorities don’t think about the smaller club and the financial benefits for them. They just care about fulfilling the fixtures.

I’m not saying there won’t be disruptions over the coming months. However, l honest think they will plough with the fixture at EFL even if teams are without players. The authorities won’t start to listen until it affects the Liverpool and Man Utd’s of this world.

Remember who is running this country. Leader of the Moon Loon’s.

May 1, 2011
Ponty":2z2yrc4l said:

We could shut down society indefinitely and just hope a vaccine appears one day.

Or we could try and find some way of normality in an already heavily restricted society and accept there is always going to be trial and error.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Several differing opinions on here regarding wether the season will plough on or fold up due to Covid.

I watched Boca Juniors in the Copa Lib match yesterday and mention was made that 20 of their squad had tested positive for Covid including four goalkeepers .. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
It is depressing to think that the EFL season might come to a shuddering halt.

The best hope and perhaps not a big one in the short term would be the roll out of some cheaper , quicker form of testing.

Football's covid problems are fairly much those faced across society and the economy, how can you balance carrying on with things against loss of life/long term impairment to people's health?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Bradford v Stevenage now going ahead today despite Stevenage having three positive cases.
It's only Grimsby who have postponed their game today plus another two after consulting with the EFL. Although they didn't test the whole squad.
The Grimsby chairman says it costs £5,000 a week for testing and now wants the season suspended.

Argyle just gave a simple statement earlier in the week that the Shrewsbury game will go ahead.

It does seem hit and miss and probably the only reason our game is going ahead today is because every player was tested whereas Grimsby didn't test all of their squad.
Grimsby did say this ..
“In line with medical advice received from the EFL, our own medical team and in line with Government guidelines, all players will now face a period of self-isolation at home.

“The club did consider testing the squad today however, the medical advice received was that such testing would be of no effect as the incubation period of the virus being a minimum of five days, with the squad last being in contact with the player three days ago.

Jul 29, 2010
PL2 3DQ":n4yt7qat said:
Bradford v Stevenage now going ahead today despite Stevenage having three positive cases.
It's only Grimsby who have postponed their game today plus another two after consulting with the EFL. Although they didn't test the whole squad.
The Grimsby chairman says it costs £5,000 a week for testing and now wants the season suspended.

Argyle just gave a simple statement earlier in the week that the Shrewsbury game will go ahead.

It does seem hit and miss and probably the only reason our game is going ahead today is because every player was tested whereas Grimsby didn't test all of their squad.
Grimsby did say this ..
“In line with medical advice received from the EFL, our own medical team and in line with Government guidelines, all players will now face a period of self-isolation at home.

“The club did consider testing the squad today however, the medical advice received was that such testing would be of no effect as the incubation period of the virus being a minimum of five days, with the squad last being in contact with the player three days ago.

I think we'll call that 'Exhibit A' Balham ;)

You can have a developing virus that is undetectable (timing belt) at the point of a swab test (MOT) that can become transmitable and/or symptomatic at any point within a five day period thereafter.

How many of our squad are in this camp and are now infectious?

How many of Shrewsbury's squad today, whether they've been tested or not, are now infectious?

As different clubs come into contact with each other each week the damn thing will spread. Grimsby it seems is the only club who have done the right thing.

It is slow at first but you can see the domino effect happening. Orient played us, we then both have cases (who infected who may be unclear but the link is transparently obvious). We and Orient will play club A and B, a week later clubs A and B play clubs C and D with Orient and ourselves playing clubs E and F... and so on.

All this while zero routine testing is required to identify who in or around the squads are carrying it... not that the test can identify with 100% certainty incubating cases anyway!

An absolute cast iron recipe for disaster. And all that's not simply a matter of opinion, how a virus incubates and spreads is a decades long established fact.

I have some sympathy with MGM's point that the leagues are burying their heads to the bleedin' obvious threat and not insisting on testing because they know they'll find cases and don't want to deal with the consequences.

Well the long term consequences of burying your head in the sand is that your backside is exposed to being bitten... or worse :doh:

Prepare for the worst because this isn't going to get any better, however much fans in denial, the EFL and clubs try to wish it all away.

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":13rzb004 said:
PL2 3DQ":13rzb004 said:

Grimsby did say this ..

I think we'll call that 'Exhibit A' Balham ;)

You can have a developing virus that is undetectable (timing belt) at the point of a swab test (MOT) that can become transmitable and/or symptomatic at any point within a five day period thereafter.

How many of our squad are in this camp and are now infectious?

How many of Shrewsbury's squad today, whether they've been tested or not, are now infectious?

As different clubs come into contact with each other each week the damn thing will spread. Grimsby it seems is the only club who have done the right thing.

It is slow at first but you can see the domino effect happening. Orient played us, we then both have cases (who infected who may be unclear but the link is transparently obvious). We and Orient will play club A and B, a week later clubs A and B play clubs C and D with Orient and ourselves playing clubs E and F... and so on.

All this while zero routine testing is required to identify who in or around the squads are carrying it... not that the test can identify with 100% certainty incubating cases anyway!

An absolute cast iron recipe for disaster. And all that's not simply a matter of opinion, how a virus incubates and spreads is a decades long established fact.

I have some sympathy with MGM's point that the leagues are burying their heads to the bleedin' obvious threat and not insisting on testing because they know they'll find cases and don't want to deal with the consequences.

Well the long term consequences of burying your head in the sand is that your backside is exposed to being bitten... or worse :doh:

Prepare for the worst because this isn't going to get any better, however much fans in denial, the EFL and clubs try to wish it all away.

Thanks for that Nostradamus. ACTUALLY the scientific advice rather than that of a clown is that if somebody tests negative AND has no symptoms they are pretty unlikely to spread it. OK you cannot eliminate risk entirely - accepted. Is that the society we are now in then when all risks have to be nil before we do anything? Best not cross the road then.
As I already said the risks of a small number of athletes in empty stadiums causing a significant spike i wider society is slim compared to everything else going on. Grimsby was postponed because the chairman was unwilling to pay the cost of testing and seems to want to make a point.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
2 players might not cause a problem on their own. However, they are likely to pass it on to their partners, who then pass it on to some of their work colleagues, who then pass it on to their partners, who then pass it on to some of their work colleagues, who then pass it on to their kids, who then pass it on to some of their schoolmates, who then pass it onto their parents, who then pass it onto some of their work colleagues, and on and on and on and on.........

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
More Grimsby games off.

Grimsby Town's games with Bradford City & Hull City off after positive coronavirus test -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54330100

Can someone explain the difference between Grimsby's approach to a positive test and ours?

I know we have tested our squad since Orient so surely Grimsby should do same as opposed to closing down for two weeks.