Our much vaunted away support | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our much vaunted away support

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
slingsby_pobble":1qfcxrr6 said:
We were pretty quiet despite the 1000+ fans packed into the away end and side bit. It felt like collective disbelief of what we were watching; was this the same team that put four past Southend, and turned a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win against Peterborough?

Before kick off I was thinking how we had packed their away end and the home seats were maybe 60% filled - I guess not surprising given Northampton's league position going into the match. Predictably their fans became louder once they scored, and for my part I didn't have an answer - I felt stunned into silence watching an abject display.

Highlight of the game: convenient parking.

Surely when the team is not having the best of days is when they need support the most.

I don't go away much nowadays but it seems odd to spend a lot of time & money & then just sit there silently.

Or worse still give the team grief which I assume is what Bradley was complaining about.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge":3kd1064e said:
90% of the time with Argyle, the bigger the away following, the quieter we are. Allocated seating is probably part of the reason.

Have to say I usually try and stand if I can at away games, that said on Saturday my allocated seat was in front of an older couple with the lady being particularly short so I didn't even bother trying.

Unallocated seats would have allowed me to stand in with those who also wanted to chant and away from those there who wished to sit and watch. Everyone can be a winner with unallocated seats, sadly safety rules that have zero effect on safety prevent fans/clubs from using a bit of common sense.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":2weeg9zt said:
Cobi Budge":2weeg9zt said:
90% of the time with Argyle, the bigger the away following, the quieter we are. Allocated seating is probably part of the reason.

Have to say I usually try and stand if I can at away games, that said on Saturday my allocated seat was in front of an older couple with the lady being particularly short so I didn't even bother trying.

Unallocated seats would have allowed me to stand in with those who also wanted to chant and away from those there who wished to sit and watch. Everyone can be a winner with unallocated seats, sadly safety rules that have zero effect on safety prevent fans/clubs from using a bit of common sense.

Spot on

Unallocated seating allows people to sit/stand where suits them, and avoids any arguments etc. Common sense.

Atmosphere first half wasn't bad. It tailed away for quite a lot of the second though, coming back in patches. I know crowd support can inspire the team, but I think the fans could've sung all match and nothing would've changed. However, there was literally nothing to sing about, with Argyle second best for everything and the number of shots which could be counted on one hand, so I can understand why we were stunned into silence in the end.

M

Oct 20, 2015
David_Fisher":3ftknusk said:
slingsby_pobble":3ftknusk said:
We were pretty quiet despite the 1000+ fans packed into the away end and side bit. It felt like collective disbelief of what we were watching; was this the same team that put four past Southend, and turned a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win against Peterborough?

Before kick off I was thinking how we had packed their away end and the home seats were maybe 60% filled - I guess not surprising given Northampton's league position going into the match. Predictably their fans became louder once they scored, and for my part I didn't have an answer - I felt stunned into silence watching an abject display.

Surely when the team is not having the best of days is when they need support the most.

I don't go away much nowadays but it seems odd to spend a lot of time & money & then just sit there silently.

Or worse still give the team grief which I assume is what Bradley was complaining about.

Agree, team needs support when up against it. And I'm not saying I was silent throughout the match - far from it, I was singing along with the rest of the GA. But the enthusiasm gradually dribbled away as the clock neared 90 mins, and by the time the team & DA came to applaud the crowd I couldn't return the favour - I didn't boo, and didn't notice anyone else boo-ing, but as my Mum said: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Agree it was a lot of time and money spent to sit there contemplating how bad we are, especially as my wife and son were there for the occasion too.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1b0w97vi said:
Ollieargyle9":1b0w97vi said:
Cobi Budge":1b0w97vi said:

Spot on

Unallocated seating allows people to sit/stand where suits them, and avoids any arguments etc. Common sense.

The problem with unallocated seating is the rule that they are only allowed to sell 80% of the capacity for that area. Why would Northampton or any other home side do that, potentially reduce their income and to top it off, have the away support create an atmosphere that might help their opponents?

Jun 2, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":1gzswsrg said:
Cobi Budge":1gzswsrg said:
Ollieargyle9":1gzswsrg said:
Cobi Budge":1gzswsrg said:

Spot on

The problem with unallocated seating is the rule that they are only allowed to sell 80% of the capacity for that area. Why would Northampton or any other home side do that, potentially reduce their income and to top it off, have the away support create an atmosphere that might help their opponents?

Gillingham have done it.

Sep 6, 2006
David_Fisher":wbwvdvhx said:
slingsby_pobble":wbwvdvhx said:

Very easy to say sitting at home on your sofa. You try watching that rubbish and try to ignite your passion.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
All credit to those who travelled from Devon/Cornwall to Northampton. I was miserable travelling to Plympton from Home Park after the game.
Let’s hope that those who make the long journey back to Rochdale have a more enjoyable and successful 90 minutes. They certainly deserve it.
2 journeys like that in 4 days shows their level of support. Fantastic supporters!!!

Oct 24, 2010
In truth the level of backing the team get from the supporters has always been determined by the performance on the pitch which is ironic. The team get support when they don't need it and don't when they need a lift.Whatever the management and players say the influence of the green army is way overrated. It follows it makes standing unnecessary, it's just as easy to boo and moan sat down.

Jan 6, 2004
In the Championship days our away support did often chant right through the game regardless of performance - unfortunately it tended to be "Green and White Barmy Army" ad infinitum.

May 4, 2015
Controversial post alert ** Our away support is now suffering in the same way our home support has for the past 10 - 12 years.

We have over the norm amount of fans who want to moan, whinge and grass up other fans.

I fully get that some people do not want to stand, chant, clap or even move for 90 minutes. They should not be sitting in blocks 14 - 19 (home games). It has always been well known that the end of the lyndhurst (zoo corner) will attract a more vociferous element, but even that last bastion of male stupidity is being infiltrated by the "theatre going" / "there to be entertained" types who just want to moan and complain.

Away from home there is little that can be done if allocated seating is enforced, I just can't imagine "bigger clubs" such as Pompey, Leeds, Sheff Weds, Birmingham etc sitting in silence for 90 minutes for fear of upsetting fellow fans.

People are becoming too used to the creature comforts all seater stadia offers - rightly or wrongly. We just don't have the balance of hardcore supporter > moaning prawn sandwich supporter to create these kind of atmospheres anymore. Maybe it is to do with the demographic of our supporters? I'd be willing to wager we have a darn sight lower % of 18 - 50 year old males making up our home and away attendance compared to the likes of the clubs previously mentioned.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
So our relatively well paid, talented professional football players are dependant on crowd noise to up their performance, we go quiet and the shrinking violets retreat into their shells, bo11ocks. I like all others who have paid their hard earned shekels go to watch a football match, if the team play well and excite us, we will re-act. I don`t expect us to win every game but I do expect us to try. I also expect us to play to the strengths of the personnel available, square pegs in round holes do not engender enthusiasm.

Jul 18, 2011
Green_Flash":3r7va6ys said:
In the Championship days our away support did often chant right through the game regardless of performance - unfortunately it tended to be "Green and White Barmy Army" ad infinitum.

But it was very effective and used to enrage the home fans who it often silenced, Derby being a particularly good example.