Our much vaunted away support | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our much vaunted away support

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Due to doing my bit for "charity" i missed Northampton away for the first time since the move to Sixfields. The ground is a soulless dump. During my "charity walk" on Saturday i put this to a lifelong Cobblers fan who said there was once a good atmosphere there, when they overturned a 3-1 deficit to beat the Gas in the play-offs (won 3-0 and went through 4-3) - the stadium has been there 20+ years now and even the home fans are racking their brains trying to remember a buoyant stadium.
Sometimes it just happens that way, annoyingly loud music up until KO, game starts poorly, nothing happens for 20 odd minutes all of a sudden the upbeat mentality has been drained from you.
In general our away support is superb.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
esmer":1vnaa8ke said:
In truth the level of backing the team get from the supporters has always been determined by the performance on the pitch which is ironic. The team get support when they don't need it and don't when they need a lift.Whatever the management and players say the influence of the green army is way overrated. It follows it makes standing unnecessary, it's just as easy to boo and moan sat down.

I don't really get the irony??

Not a chicken or egg is it. Because it's not an existing activity which we oblige to attend and improve is it.

Without paying support, the request of passive entertainment in return for a payment, there is no pro football, there is no activity, there is no fellow SKY generation moron brainwashed into lab rat mentality of notional points mattering more than weighing up how enjoyable a couple hours plus out and about sat "passionately" watching others do things instead of being sat home non-passionately watching others do things. So when the entertainment's poor and the effort half hearted, let's say that cover 50% of games, one can understand the display of disappointment. And no matter what your billionaire owner might think based on their own unrelenting hunger for capitalism, you can't sway the 50% that much, that's what AI is for.

So in terms of level of backing, like parenting isn't it, you're 80% of the way there just showing up. So Arsenal fans had to do what they've done.

Fully agree about the overrated influence though.

Sep 6, 2006
Jose446":2547c6v4 said:
Controversial post alert ** Our away support is now suffering in the same way our home support has for the past 10 - 12 years.

We have over the norm amount of fans who want to moan, whinge and grass up other fans.

I fully get that some people do not want to stand, chant, clap or even move for 90 minutes. They should not be sitting in blocks 14 - 19 (home games). It has always been well known that the end of the lyndhurst (zoo corner) will attract a more vociferous element, but even that last bastion of male stupidity is being infiltrated by the "theatre going" / "there to be entertained" types who just want to moan and complain.

Away from home there is little that can be done if allocated seating is enforced, I just can't imagine "bigger clubs" such as Pompey, Leeds, Sheff Weds, Birmingham etc sitting in silence for 90 minutes for fear of upsetting fellow fans.

People are becoming too used to the creature comforts all seater stadia offers - rightly or wrongly. We just don't have the balance of hardcore supporter > moaning prawn sandwich supporter to create these kind of atmospheres anymore. Maybe it is to do with the demographic of our supporters? I'd be willing to wager we have a darn sight lower % of 18 - 50 year old males making up our home and away attendance compared to the likes of the clubs previously mentioned.

Load of nonsense.