Overthinking of defeats | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Overthinking of defeats

Mar 14, 2009
We aren’t a bad side.

We play positive football. We have a go. I think most reasonable Argyle fans will acknowledge that we can’t win every game but we just want our team set up with the intent of winning a game of football. Unfortunately, like Saturday some teams are just better than us on the day.

However, if we talking about promotion I think though, and rightly, l think it’s only fair to point out the deficiencies in the squad which isn’t the current managers fault.

That back line will struggle against pace. We have seen it all season. They also, as proven last season, do switch off. If you think lm being harsh think about the type of goals we concede. Time and again it’s simply bad basic defending as was seen in Saturday. Fortunately, at league two level it isn’t as noticeable or impacting in games due to less clinical play by the opposition.

At the other end we have a inexperienced youngster we thrusted into the first team asking to fire us to promotion because other forwards at the time weren’t scoring goals. It’s asking a lot for him to do a job from now till the end of the season that some of our more seasonable pros failed to do. My personal hope is to see Telford back because he has something about him from what l’ve seen.

We have an array of options on the bench. Yet has the injuries caught up with Taylor? Is Joel Grant a forward and not a wide man who can occasionally score? What is Conor Grants most effective position?
I mention these three players because they are sitting on the bench against Colchester but are they going to effect a game?

I don’t think reasonable people are critical of the manager or the playing style. I just think rightly we have to wonder if the squad, and football is a squad game, has enough strength in it to cover injuries and loss of form to get automatic promotion and give the manager real options to the style he wants to play which obtains those results.

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":l9w12mo3 said:
Bit like when we blitzed Orient in the first half. Everything we touched seemed to end in a goal. They weren’t that bad a side either

And their League position is....?

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2b0vzmyb said:
We aren’t a bad side.

We play positive football. We have a go. I think most reasonable Argyle fans will acknowledge that we can’t win every game but we just want our team set up with the intent of winning a game of football. Unfortunately, like Saturday some teams are just better than us on the day.

However, if we talking about promotion I think though, and rightly, l think it’s only fair to point out the deficiencies in the squad which isn’t the current managers fault.

That back line will struggle against pace. We have seen it all season. They also, as proven last season, do switch off. If you think lm being harsh think about the type of goals we concede. Time and again it’s simply bad basic defending as was seen in Saturday. Fortunately, at league two level it isn’t as noticeable or impacting in games due to less clinical play by the opposition.

At the other end we have a inexperienced youngster we thrusted into the first team asking to fire us to promotion because other forwards at the time weren’t scoring goals. It’s asking a lot for him to do a job from now till the end of the season that some of our more seasonable pros failed to do. My personal hope is to see Telford back because he has something about him from what l’ve seen.

We have an array of options on the bench. Yet has the injuries caught up with Taylor? Is Joel Grant a forward and not a wide man who can occasionally score? What is Conor Grants most effective position?
I mention these three players because they are sitting on the bench against Colchester but are they going to effect a game?

I don’t think reasonable people are critical of the manager or the playing style. I just think rightly we have to wonder if the squad, and football is a squad game, has enough strength in it to cover injuries and loss of form to get automatic promotion and give the manager real options to the style he wants to play which obtains those results.

I'm inclined to agree with you re our top 3 chances. I think we are a couple of players short. Also we are very reliant on young loan players still learning the trade. Looks to me that Bakinsal was at fault for not picking up the first goalscorer and Josh Grant standing in no mans land for the second. None of the goals on Saturday were down to lack of pace. A bigger problem which you dont seem to recognize is that the system (which teams have worked out) leaves us very exposed down the flanks.

Sep 6, 2006
memory man":1b47mus1 said:
There is a post on the "Just back" thread where Leon the Green (I think) quotes a home supporter from last Saturday. The guy explains that Colchester had a wonder day and that with a bit of good fortune and more care we could have been level at half-time. Being a Colchester fan he obviously completely dispassionate about our performance but there are always three aspects to every story; your side, the other side and somewhere in the middle sits the truth. I think the Colchester man's post confirms the theory.

:funny: Obviously you weren't there. We were shocking 1 st half. They also hit the woodwork twice and had a shot cleared off the line when it was easier to score. Was as much chance of us being 'level at half time' as there is of us winning the next 2 games(which Greenowl is convinced of). Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Sep 6, 2006
football-bet-data":27j4kcab said:
Devongreenowl":27j4kcab said:
football-bet-data":27j4kcab said:
The thing that worries me is the lack of fight and effort. The style of football is better, there is still a time and a place for “blood and snotters” to coin a luggyism

Do you mean like when Sawyer took that Mansfield winger out to earn himself a red card?
I think I’m going to have to consider not coming on here on the odd occasion when Argyle lose. It’s so frustrating to read the immediate negativity, when we are actually doing better than we should realistically have expected to. Most people thought it would take 3 or 4 windows to sort out the mess left by Adams, but here we are with two games in hand on Swindon, which if won would put us top.

Our 'friends' up the road have just gone three games without a win up until yesterday. I wonder if their fans get their knickers in a twist like some of ours after one defeat in seven games.
No I don't mean like that.

Don't think I'm being "immediately negative" - did you watch the game? There was no fight, no passion in that second half. Players were just standing off, like I say, even the Colchester comms could not be believe how poor we were 2nd half, they fully expected us to come out and put up a fight, we just rolled over.

He didnt watch the game. He wasn't there. Easy to be positive when you dont witness these performances.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
As it happens I wasn’t there BG but you didn’t know that.
I don’t know how many games you’ve been to this season but I’ve seen every home and three away so I think I know what the side are generally playing like. I said right from the start that it was obviously a bad result, but just can’t understand the negativity when we are generally doing well. If we lose tomorrow and Saturday, that would be worth moaning about. Not being funny but the manager won manager of the month. I know it can be a poisoned chalice, but I’m guessing those making the award know a bit about how we’ve been playing.

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":1g5wansa said:
I don’t know how many games you’ve been to this season but I’ve seen every home and three away so I think I know what the side are generally playing like. I said right from the start that it was obviously a bad result, but just can’t understand the negativity when we are generally doing well. If we lose tomorrow and Saturday, that would be worth moaning about. Not being funny but the manager won manager of the month. I know it can be a poisoned chalice, but I’m guessing those making the award know a bit about how we’ve been playing.

No they dont know how we have been playing. You think they go and watch us regularly?!! They just go on results.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Balham_Green":1z4vjnba said:
Devongreenowl":1z4vjnba said:

No they dont know how we have been playing. You think they go and watch us regularly?!! They just go on results.

Shame you don’t do the same then pal

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I was there Balham and spent the weekend with 8 Colchester fans barring the 90 minutes. They all thought it was their best showing of the season and said they don't normally play that well and struggle against poorer teams who come to defend.
I think we set up wrong with 2 up front. We needed an extra body in midfield especially with Cooper's lack of defensive abilities but who am I to question someone who played for a living and has made a pretty good fist of management so far?
If we lose tomorrow I will be very concerned but 4 points this week and we should be back on track.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Devongreenowl":12tnm3ta said:
Balham_Green":12tnm3ta said:
Devongreenowl":12tnm3ta said:

Shame you don’t do the same then pal

Ps - you didn’t say how many games you’ve actually attended this season BG

Sep 6, 2006
jerryatricjanner":24zmc254 said:
I was there Balham and spent the weekend with 8 Colchester fans barring the 90 minutes. They all thought it was their best showing of the season and said they don't normally play that well and struggle against poorer teams who come to defend.
I think we set up wrong with 2 up front. We needed an extra body in midfield especially with Cooper's lack of defensive abilities but who am I to question someone who played for a living and has made a pretty good fist of management so far?
If we lose tomorrow I will be very concerned but 4 points this week and we should be back on track.

They did play well Jerry but we allowed them to as you allude to.

May 8, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":a3dkvf8o said:
We aren’t a bad side.

Interesting that you think that the deficiencies in the squad if there are any, isn’t due to the current manager, even after two transfer windows.
Who decides who plays, who comes, who stays or goes?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Balham_Green":21z36dr0 said:
memory man":21z36dr0 said:
There is a post on the "Just back" thread where Leon the Green (I think) quotes a home supporter from last Saturday. The guy explains that Colchester had a wonder day and that with a bit of good fortune and more care we could have been level at half-time. Being a Colchester fan he obviously completely dispassionate about our performance but there are always three aspects to every story; your side, the other side and somewhere in the middle sits the truth. I think the Colchester man's post confirms the theory.

:funny: Obviously you weren't there. We were shocking 1 st half. They also hit the woodwork twice and had a shot cleared off the line when it was easier to score. Was as much chance of us being 'level at half time' as there is of us winning the next 2 games(which Greenowl is convinced of). Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.
No I wasn't there. I tend to keep away from the Brief Synopsis/Just Back if I haven't attended. And "it sounded on the radio" really winds me up!!!However, I was just trying to make the point that if you take the passion out of it, then maybe the performance doesn't look as bad. I will NEVER argue with anyone who was there so I take in your view but balance it against the other fellah.

Sep 6, 2006
memory man":22u828sl said:
Balham_Green":22u828sl said:
memory man":22u828sl said:

No I wasn't there. I tend to keep away from the Brief Synopsis (Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd)/Just Back if I haven't attended. And "it sounded on the radio" really winds me up!!!However, I was just trying to make the point that if you take the passion out of it, then maybe the performance doesn't look as bad. I will NEVER argue with anyone who was there so I take in your view but balance it against the other fellah.

The fact they could easily have scored 6 in 1st half alone tells you a lot doesn't it?

Mar 14, 2009
HC Green":1l480hrb said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1l480hrb said:
We aren’t a bad side.

Interesting that you think that the deficiencies in the squad if there are any, isn’t due to the current manager, even after two transfer windows.
Who decides who plays, who comes, who stays or goes?

Like l said before if they are already on a contract and are happy living down here then it will be probably hard to shift them.

He shifted Tarrfi Moore, Ashley Smith Brown and Joe Riley. It takes time to change the squad around. What's the point of not trying to get a players confidence up when you know you still have them for this season. At the end of this season you will get your answer if he really wants them to be here.