Overthinking of defeats | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Overthinking of defeats

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":1o07bvq3 said:
HC Green":1o07bvq3 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1o07bvq3 said:
We aren’t a bad side.

We play positive football. We have a go. I think most reasonable Argyle fans will acknowledge that we can’t win every game but we just want our team set up with the intent of winning a game of football. Unfortunately, like Saturday some teams are just better than us on the day.

However, if we talking about promotion I think though, and rightly, l think it’s only fair to point out the deficiencies in the squad which isn’t the current managers fault.

That back line will struggle against pace. We have seen it all season. They also, as proven last season, do switch off. If you think lm being harsh think about the type of goals we concede. Time and again it’s simply bad basic defending as was seen in Saturday. Fortunately, at league two level it isn’t as noticeable or impacting in games due to less clinical play by the opposition.

At the other end we have a inexperienced youngster we thrusted into the first team asking to fire us to promotion because other forwards at the time weren’t scoring goals. It’s asking a lot for him to do a job from now till the end of the season that some of our more seasonable pros failed to do. My personal hope is to see Telford back because he has something about him from what l’ve seen.

We have an array of options on the bench. Yet has the injuries caught up with Taylor? Is Joel Grant a forward and not a wide man who can occasionally score? What is Conor Grants most effective position?
I mention these three players because they are sitting on the bench against Colchester but are they going to effect a game?

I don’t think reasonable people are critical of the manager or the playing style. I just think rightly we have to wonder if the squad, and football is a squad game, has enough strength in it to cover injuries and loss of form to get automatic promotion and give the manager real options to the style he wants to play which obtains those results.

Interesting that you think that the deficiencies in the squad if there are any, isn’t due to the current manager, even after two transfer windows.
Who decides who plays, who comes, who stays or goes?

Like l said before if they are already on a contract and are happy living down here then it will be probably hard to shift them.

He shifted Tarrfi Moore, Ashley Smith Brown and Joe Riley. It takes time to change the squad around. What's the point of not trying to get a players confidence up when you know you still have them for this season. At the end of this season you will get your answer if he really wants them to be here.
MGM ,I assume that Lowe didn't "get the confidence up" of the three players mentioned so your logic is flawed!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Maybe he thought there was no point in flogging a dead horse Oldage, but knew he had to keep some players, deciding that Canavan and Wootton might just cope in L2 where they failed in L1. Obviously, they’ve both struggled, but Canavan has been ok. There were only so many new players he could bring in on the budget he had.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not even sure what point is being made by HC. You can't just get rid of players by clicking your fingers., it's probably harder to offload players than sign them.

And anyway, Niall Canavan has been great and Scott Wootton has done OK.

Ultimately we're in a very, very good position to go up automatically or be champions, so just relax a little bit!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Devongreenowl":18oehybc said:
Maybe he thought there was no point in flogging a dead horse Oldage, but knew he had to keep some players, deciding that Canavan and Wootton might just cope in L2 where they failed in L1. Obviously, they’ve both struggled, but Canavan has been ok. There were only so many new players he could bring in on the budget he had.
It's quite interesting to analyse the 'Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer' partnership in League 2 this season compared to when one or more did not play due to injury, suspension or not being selected.

These are the league statistics (courtesy on GoS) when one or more did not play :-

P 10, W 2, D 3, L 5, F 9, A 19, GD -10, Pts 9.

Hence, when all 3 have played these are the performance statistics ;-

P 20, W 14, D 3, L 3, F 39, A 14, GD +25, Pts 45.

Make what you want of that but, to me, it seems that when the '3 CB's partnership' is together it is doing quite well.

They won't all be there for the next 2 games so let's hope that we manage without Gary Sawyer and that the partnership can soon be resumed.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":2a2kgbjl said:
Not even sure what point is being made by HC. You can't just get rid of players by clicking your fingers., it's probably harder to offload players than sign them.

Ultimately we're in a very, very good position to go up automatically or be champions, so just relax a little bit!

I agree. Wooton and Canavan have done ok. More superficial thinking by Greenowl who doesnt seem to understand the game. We have not let in many and often its been due to lack of numbers in the wide areas from the system we play and midfield players not covering back as on Saturday.

Jul 12, 2016
Biggs":2wnd2gc2 said:

How are we in a very ,very good position?
Firstly we need to get something out of the next two games and then win the games in hand.A tall order!!!!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not even sure why I’m responding to you, but any reasonable observer (and this is where the issue lies...) would have bitten your hand off for a situation in which winning two games in hand would put you top with 12 games to go.

Are we guaranteed to win those games and do well enough in the final 12 games to go up? No.

Is it a very good position to be in? Yes.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
oldage":qneeg5hx said:
Biggs":qneeg5hx said:

How are we in a very ,very good position?
Firstly we need to get something out of the next two games and then win the games in hand.A tall order!!!!

Sitting 4th with game(s) in hand over all above us is a pretty good position in my book.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":3q5okarx said:
Not even sure why I’m responding to you, but any reasonable observer (and this is where the issue lies...) would have bitten your hand off for a situation in which winning two games in hand would put you top with 12 games to go.

Are we guaranteed to win those games and do well enough in the final 12 games to go up? No.

2nd not top!

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1rhs0vb3 said:
Biggs":1rhs0vb3 said:

2nd not top!

Winning the games in hand COULD put us top on goal difference .

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
DartingtonPilgrim":1h0c9ah1 said:
Balham_Green":1h0c9ah1 said:
Biggs":1h0c9ah1 said:

2nd not top!

We’re 4pts behind Crewe with only one game in hand over them. We’ve still got to play them, though.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
GreenThing":1wyzkb20 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1wyzkb20 said:
Balham_Green":1wyzkb20 said:
Biggs":1wyzkb20 said:

2nd not top!

We’re 4pts behind Crewe with only one game in hand over them. We’ve still got to play them, though.

Which is why i wrote COULD as Crewe may not win their game in hand , however , by the time we have played our games in hand , every team including ourselves will have played more games so the likelihood is the table and points between the top teams will differ to what we currently see , so , potentially adding 6 points to our tally is purely hypothetical .

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
DartingtonPilgrim":1comkyx5 said:
GreenThing":1comkyx5 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1comkyx5 said:
Balham_Green":1comkyx5 said:
Biggs":1comkyx5 said:

2nd not top!

Which is why i wrote COULD as Crewe may not win their game in hand , however , by the time we have played our games in hand , every team including ourselves will have played more games so the likelihood is the table and points between the top teams will differ to what we currently see , so , potentially adding 6 points to our tally is purely hypothetical .

I would prefer to assume Crewe will win their game in hand. I’m not disagreeing with you though, I think we’re in a great position, it’s all in our hands.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
GreenThing":dva4jh0b said:
DartingtonPilgrim":dva4jh0b said:
GreenThing":dva4jh0b said:
DartingtonPilgrim":dva4jh0b said:
Balham_Green":dva4jh0b said:
Biggs":dva4jh0b said:

2nd not top!

I would prefer to assume Crewe will win their game in hand. I’m not disagreeing with you though, I think we’re in a great position, it’s all in our hands.

Agreed , all we need now is for the team starting with tonights game , to finish the season strongly and win promotion , preferably the title .

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
GreenThing":3nwtmrpi said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3nwtmrpi said:
GreenThing":3nwtmrpi said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3nwtmrpi said:
Balham_Green":3nwtmrpi said:
Biggs":3nwtmrpi said:

2nd not top!

Too right we are. A win tonight and against Crewe at the weekend will make top spot a very realistic proposition. :scarf: