Philosophy and identity | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Philosophy and identity

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
DA had it done as soon as he came here, he had the dugouts swapped around and several metres taken off the width and (I believe) length of the pitch.

May 5, 2019
Not trying to defend him for the pitch shrinking but we came 14th for home form. 23rd for away... so like I said not defending him.

Part of the club's future philosophy needs to be that the team travel before the day of an away game.

Apr 4, 2004
What an odd thing to do. I would have thought that a bigger pitch would suit a footballing side. Which is what I thought Adams was trying to do.

Mar 8, 2016
Never understood that decision to make the pitch smaller, fans lapped it up at the time though, attention to detail and all that bollocks. I’m not even sure Adams knew why he was doing it.

May 16, 2016
Did they dig up the grass at the edges of the pitch and replace it with astroturf ? It never looked like much had gone to me.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Army green":3d2fb42m said:
Never understood that decision to make the pitch smaller, fans lapped it up at the time though, attention to detail and all that bollocks. I’m not even sure Adams knew why he was doing it.

It was a clever strategy. Bring in wide players like Wylde and Ainsworth so opponents think you will play an expansive game then narrow the pitch and don't play wide men. :think:

Aug 6, 2018
LG1980":3vzzk7oh said:
Article here about how Norwich successfully built a new approach because they had to deal with the loss of parachute payment income. Focus on academy players and playing decent football and not throwing money after old pros.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48148055

Yes, it's obviously on a different financial scale, but the principle is the same, focus on an attractive playing style, dont veer from it and try and get hungry, young players. Easier said than done im sure, but i do think that playing style ethos should be at the heart of what Argyle do moving forward. If you can't be the richest or the best at least try and be one of the most attractive or innovative.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Kit Kat and Oranges":3nwscu89 said:
If you can't be the richest or the best at least try and be one of the most attractive or innovative.

:clap:

That should basically be our motto.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Part of the problem is the unique obsession.

Apart from a paranoia about remoteness, there's nothing so different about Argyle from the other 70 or so in the EFL, noting to exclude the global brands in the Prem; so much that can be copied, if forgetting this comfort blanket of uniqueness, oh it can't be done simply because everything has to be different once the train's in sight of the English channel.

We had a painfully slow and ponderous set of players under Adams, that's the sort of players he trusted; shortening/decreasing the pitch made complete sense therefore! Writing that down as sporting philosophy is kind of ugly, but it certainly wasn't nonsensical.

Oct 16, 2016
Somebody has obviously mentioned it before on here no doubt but Argyle really should have a real think about adopting the moneyball theorem at Home Park, there are already yank money links to the club so I would be surprised if the chairman hasn’t at least looked at it.

May 26, 2015
IJN":3n122oyz said:
Oh and one other thing, it would be good to have our pitch back to the normal wider and longer dimensions.

Hear Hear IJN

DA's unauthorised (without fan consultation) narrowing of length and width of the pitch really made me unhappy.

The playing surface seems to be superb. The ground staff are superb, but the acres of wasted, unused and ugly space to the sides (especially the Lyndhurst side) and at each end seriously detract from the look and atmosphere of the ground and inhibit attractive football.

Jeez, we have more unused space to sides and behind our goals than Tottenham's magnificent new ground. That can't be right.

Morally, the pitch is sacred; belongs to the fans and no temporary manager (sorry DoF) has the right to touch it ; ever!

I'm not based in Plymouth obviously, so can people please make my point to Mr Hallett.

Mar 30, 2019
RochdaleGreen":212vpc7g said:
IJN":212vpc7g said:
Oh and one other thing, it would be good to have our pitch back to the normal wider and longer dimensions.

Hear Hear IJN

DA's unauthorised (without fan consultation) narrowing of length and width of the pitch really made me unhappy.

The playing surface seems to be superb. The ground staff are superb, but the acres of wasted, unused and ugly space to the sides (especially the Lyndhurst side) and at each end seriously detract from the look and atmosphere of the ground and inhibit attractive football.

Jeez, we have more unused space to sides and behind our goals than Tottenham's magnificent new ground. That can't be right.

Morally, the pitch is sacred; belongs to the fans and no temporary manager (sorry DoF) has the right to touch it ; ever!

I'm not based in Plymouth obviously, so can people please make my point to Mr Hallett.

Spoiler Alert @RochdaleGreen. Rumours suggest that Mr. Hallett is not based in Plymouth either!

May 26, 2015
Not helpful Todric.

You don't get my point on sanctity of pitch dimensions and DA's ruination of our pitch.
Assume your family has not supported Argyle for over 100 years?

Dork! - to use modern parlance