Plymouth Argyle v Accrington Stanley - the build up | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Accrington Stanley - the build up

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think accy are one of the best teams in our division and will be our toughest test.if we can win this one we are in with a chance of going on a promotion run.

Dec 23, 2005
Now, I was there too on that fateful day. Quite frankly, the whole team played very poorly throughout the match! Stanley played us off the park that day, and we did not respond one bit!
McConville scored an hat trick, and even our goal was an own goal. In my opinion, this was the worse display by a team in green, and I have been watching Argyle for over 50 years.
It was also the only game I have ever walked out of before the end, the complete side were hopeless on that day. Ironically, had we only lost say 3-0, or so, I believe that we may have just stayed up on goal difference.
I think Saturday's match will be completely different, and of course, an Argyle win! :scarf: :thumbs:

May 26, 2015
IJN":20fhv5dt said:
RochdaleGreen":20fhv5dt said:
IJN, With all due respect to you, as owner of Pasoti, you seem to have something against Ladapo, with many of your posts casting aspersions.

What antics are you referring to, and what evidence do you have? If you are relying on mere hearsay, you may better advised to withhold your comments on this matter.

After all, I seem to recall that Freddie was by far our leading scorer that season. I got to the Stanley game in good time to see Freddie and Ruben L having a chat on the pitch on their own, and they acknowledged my cheers. Little did I know that the clown Adams had dropped both of his best players.

So, please provide your evidence, or lay off Freddie

A) Why put that in about being owner of Pasoti? It has nothing to do with what I've heard.
B) I wasn't there obviously, so you are correct it is hearsay. However, I trust the people who told me as they were.
C) "So, please provide your evidence, or lay off Freddie"- Sorry won't do. I'll never lay off him, as I don't off Swan or Holloway. I'm an Argyle fan, so excuse me if I drone on for a few more years yet. I don't ever moan about the decent people, just the people that cause pain to our club.

IJN, Your slightly hostile response is neither warranted, nor appreciated.

So far as your point A) is concerned, I was merely being respectful of the very good deeds that you have achieved in support of PAFC.

So far as your point B) is concerned, I note that you were not at the Stanley game in question, and that you accept that your grievances against Freddie are mere hearsay.

So far as your point C) is concerned, I would urge you to exercise extreme caution. Please do not put yourself, or Pasoti, which I love, at risk of legal challenge.

By the way, my paternal Grandfather, born in Plymouth in 1900 and my father was born in Plymouth in 1927, which means that I'm just as much of an Argyle fan as all on the Pasoti fan base, even though I left Devon, at 18, in 1974.

Please IJN, issue an apology to Freddie and lay this to rest. I'm looking after your interests, I really am

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I apologise if you were upset by what I said RG.

I was at Stanley mate, I think I only missed 3 games that season and Taft was the worst I’ve seen EVER and I’m into over 1000 away games I reckon.

Ladapo was very involved in our demise and I will never forgive the man for the upset he caused in the camp, ever.

But let’s not hijack this thread, as it’s about Accrington Stanley, a wonderful historic club.

Perhaps we can have a PM chat?

Here’s hoping for a win today. :thumbup:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Historically, we have a poor record against Accrington.
P16, W4, D6, L6, F16, A21. (Courtesy of GoS).
Impressive stats for them considering their comparative size.
Let’s hope that we can improve that today.

Michael Fleet

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 15, 2003
Pottypilgrim":2h73ntv1 said:
I always was and still am a fan of DA. He seemed to me to be a man of high moral standing and it was a shame that he had to leave as he did. Some of those players in that team really should hang their heads in shame but those type of footballers being what they are, I'm pretty sure they weren't bothered in the least. He reminds me of a lower league David Moyes and I'm sure he will learn from his time with Argyle and go on to bigger and better things in the future.
Really pleased to see DA doing well at Morecambe. A certain 2-0 win this week specially welcome and I hope he gets them up.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
For what it's worth, I too am a DA fan. I always found him very approachable, sensible, knowledgeable and extremely hard working. Never forget the string of wins that he put together and that he achieved promotion. However, I am still at a loss as to understand how that team got relegated.................

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A combination of unfortunate circumstances including disruption of team spirit and bad luck.
Late equalisers (Bristol Rovers and Blackpool) costing the loss of 4 points were catastrophic. After that, we lost 5 on the trot. Even in the last game, we could have won by enough to survive, without that ‘Macey incident’ and other results going against us in the last few minutes.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
mercedes":1vqu9f6z said:
For what it's worth, I too am a DA fan. I always found him very approachable, sensible, knowledgeable and extremely hard working. Never forget the string of wins that he put together and that he achieved promotion. However, I am still at a loss as to understand how that team got relegated.................

One of life's greatest mysteries, I still shake my head when I think about it. But we are in a different world now and I believe moving towards better times.

Mar 21, 2008
You really have to admire what Accrington have done and perhaps even try and learn from what they’re doing down there, a few decent results in the 4-5 games in hand they have and they’re in the automatics, could you imagine Accrington in the championship?

I feel like in, relative terms, that’d be as impressive if not more so than if Argyle ever got to the premiership

Oct 5, 2013
The number of local players Accrington can recruit from is several times that of Argyle, the football-playing population and number of professional clubs within 40 miles / an hour’s drive of there are enormous compared to ours, so attracting good players has to be considered a lot easier a prospect than it is in Plymouth.
Accy also seems a club that has a tremendous spirit about it, and that counts really big.
So yes it would be amazing if they went up to the Championship, but there would be reasons behind such a feat, so not exactly a ‘miracle’, in my view.

May 26, 2015
IJN":29svqirh said:
I apologise if you were upset by what I said RG.

I was at Stanley mate, I think I only missed 3 games that season and that was the worst I’ve seen EVER and I’m into over 1000 away games I reckon.

Ladapo was very involved in our demise and I will never forgive the man for the upset he caused in the camp, ever.

But let’s not hijack this thread, as it’s about Accrington Stanley, a wonderful historic club.

Perhaps we can have a PM chat?

Here’s hoping for a win today. :thumbup:

Apology accepted IJN. I agree that we should drop this and not hijack a thread on Stanley, which I agree is a wonderful club and my favourite away day, since its only up the road from me and there is no better football ground pub in England than the Crown.

I don't hear the local Devon gossip about individual players, but there is only one person in the World, that was responsible for that Stanley defeat and that relegation and that person is, you've guessed it, DA.

That said, I'm pleased that DA is doing well with Morecambe since I lived there for a couple of years in 1975/76 whilst at Lancaster University.

Today's game is pivotal to our season. Win and we are safe, lose and we are in deep do do, with all those away games coming up in March. :thumbup:

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I have huge admiration for Accrington. They seem to be an extremely well run community club and the job John Coleman has done over many years should get far more attention that it does.

If Accrington were to get promoted this season, he would thoroughly deserve the manager of the year award across all four divisions. But we all know that wouldn't happen, because most people in football these days don't look any lower then the Championship playoffs.

Hoping Argyle win today of course, but I would love it if Stanley get promoted this season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I still remember Argyle’s home game against Accrington Stanley in 1959. Played in torrential rain, 0-4 at half time. In the end it was 2-4.
Nervous about this one.