Plymouth Argyle's new manager? | Page 89 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle's new manager?

Who do you want? New poll 25 May

• Ian Holloway

Votes: 114 50.0%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Michael Flynn

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Sol Campbell

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Jocelyn Gourvennec

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Keith Hill

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Adam Sadler

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Warren Joyce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Ryan Lowe

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2010
But he's not a good L1 manager Biggs. He's an unemployed manager having parted company with a now L2 club he just relegated with a 20% win percentage.

Now, I'm not putting him down but thems the facts. He clearly is a good manager, his prior record tells you that. An opportunity arises therefore for someone to acquire a good manager whose stock is currently low, an opportunity to raise both his stock and the clubs stock at the same time.

The more you look at it the less implausible it seems. It would be a huge coup to get him I agree. It probably won't happen and was never a possibility, but we can dare to dream and he certainly enthuses me more than Ryan Lowe.

Edit - Again, apologies for a non truncated link but this shows his preferred formation is "433 attacking"... another box ticked.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jocelyn ... iner/14011

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Chancellor":c3rk5b0t said:
PL2 3DQ":c3rk5b0t said:
Chancellor":c3rk5b0t said:
Just watching the Roscoff ferry come in from my office and theres someone on the top deck holding his arms aloft, wearing an Argyle shirt and a beret, with a string of onions round his neck.

:) And I've just seen a bloke getting off the Liverpool to Plymouth National Express coach carrying a Bury/Argyle half n half scarf and an overnight bag.

Well if its an overnight bag he cant be staying long.

Must be Ryan Lowe then :whistle:

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I'm sure that Gourvennec joining Argyle as manager IS implausible but I DO think that the shared 'Celtic-fringe' nature of northwestern France and sourthwestern Britain could be a factor. My experience of people in the UK is that there really is a difference between people from different regions and there really is a distinct mindset in the southwest that I think would be shared by a French northwesterner (if such a thing exists - they would probably regard themselves as Breton and not French!). People feel 'at home' in certain areas/regions and many people would naturally gravitate towards places that resonate with them. There are lots of huge ifs here of course but it's entirely possible to imagine that Gourvennec might be much more inclined to be interested in a longer-term club-building project in Plymouth than he would be in bog-standard manager job at a club in another part of Britain.

I also think it is notable that he spent a long time at Guingamp which is certainly a footballing outpost in France (not unlike Derek Adams at Ross County) and this is something that certainly fits with the values and ethos that Simon Hallett has expressed in his various statements. Gourvennec just might be the kind of guy who likes a longer-term building project in a somewhat out of the way location in a region with a particular kind of vibe.

Who knows eh?

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":113h9dox said:
Chancellor":113h9dox said:
PL2 3DQ":113h9dox said:
Chancellor":113h9dox said:
Just watching the Roscoff ferry come in from my office and theres someone on the top deck holding his arms aloft, wearing an Argyle shirt and a beret, with a string of onions round his neck.

:) And I've just seen a bloke getting off the Liverpool to Plymouth National Express coach carrying a Bury/Argyle half n half scarf and an overnight bag.

Ryan Lowe flew down.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Keepitgreen":1wc7q5yi said:
JannerinCardiff":1wc7q5yi said:
Chancellor":1wc7q5yi said:
PL2 3DQ":1wc7q5yi said:
Chancellor":1wc7q5yi said:

Ryan Lowe flew down.

When? Source?

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The Doctor":32n02hpa said:
I'm sure that Gourvennec joining Argyle as manager IS implausible but I DO think that the shared 'Celtic-fringe' nature of northwestern France and sourthwestern Britain could be a factor. My experience of people in the UK is that there really is a difference between people from different regions and there really is a distinct mindset in the southwest that I think would be shared by a French northwesterner (if such a thing exists - they would probably regard themselves as Breton and not French!). People feel 'at home' in certain areas/regions and many people would naturally gravitate towards places that resonate with them. There are lots of huge ifs here of course but it's entirely possible to imagine that Gourvennec might be much more inclined to be interested in a longer-term club-building project in Plymouth than he would be in bog-standard manager job at a club in another part of Britain.

I also think it is notable that he spent a long time at Guingamp which is certainly a footballing outpost in France (not unlike Derek Adams at Ross County) and this is something that certainly fits with the values and ethos that Simon Hallett has expressed in his various statements. Gourvennec just might be the kind of guy who likes a longer-term building project in a somewhat out of the way location in a region with a particular kind of vibe.

Who knows eh?

Given that Gourvennec just got relegated from Ligue 1 I’d imagine his stock might currently be low-ish for other Ligue 1 teams and it’s well known that French 2nd tier starts to go part time so fair assumption there’s not much money around outside Ligue 1. That being the case and the fact he’s currently in nbetween jobs I think it’s more than plausible that Gourvennec might want to resurrect his career in England... what better than the closest geographical team to his native Brittany..

I’m really hoping for Gourvennec... he had a higher win % than Adams with Guingamp and he’s won the French equivalent of the FA cup!!!

Please please hope he’s going to be part of our charge back up the leagues!!! :scarf:

Jun 24, 2008
Whilst it seems totally unlikely in most cases. This link is very intriguing. It's not ludicrous either, the links are there, 16/1 to 10/1 cut in the bookies at the start of May, the fact he's just been let go (could they have caught sniff of him applying elsewhere) and the location links sounds good too.

It's still too much of a coup to feel like a possibility but makes it rather exciting too. Who knows. Since's Istanbul Final in 2005, Leicester winning the prem and Tevez/Mascherano signing of West Ham anything is possible in football :scarf:

Apr 1, 2009
Just think, next time we do this, not only will we have "Ollie's army" campaigning for him, we'll also have the #bringbackDerek brigade....

A couple of misconceptions about foreign football on this thread that I'd like to clean up.

Firstly, someone mentioned how size doesn't matter and specifically how Hoffenheim are a giant compared to Argyle. Hoffenheim were an obscure lower-league club until being bankrolled by a software millionaire. In a country where sugar daddy chairmen are rare, only RB Leipzig really compare.

Also, the second division of French football is fully professional, it's only beyond that where you begin to get semi-professional teams.

Don't think Gourvennec is realistic - even though Guingamp are not a big hitter, he has recently managed Bordeaux who are a big team (and even played in the Europa League). Moreover, Guingamp will have received a lot, lot more in TV rights from playing in Ligue 1 than we'll have for playing in the lower reaches of English league football. He'd almost certainly be taking a pay cut from what he was on at Guingamp to come here, I think.

Mar 23, 2008
Nearing the end of play today, the second time Nixon has said its a done deal with Lowe so if nothing comes to fruition you have to question his credibility.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
MannameadGreen":31fa3g9d said:
A couple of misconceptions about foreign football on this thread that I'd like to clean up.

Firstly, someone mentioned how size doesn't matter and specifically how Hoffenheim are a giant compared to Argyle. Hoffenheim were an obscure lower-league club until being bankrolled by a software millionaire. In a country where sugar daddy chairmen are rare, only RB Leipzig really compare.

Also, the second division of French football is fully professional, it's only beyond that where you begin to get semi-professional teams.

Don't think Gourvennec is realistic - even though Guingamp are not a big hitter, he has recently managed Bordeaux who are a big team (and even played in the Europa League). Moreover, Guingamp will have received a lot, lot more in TV rights from playing in Ligue 1 than we'll have for playing in the lower reaches of English league football. He'd almost certainly be taking a pay cut from what he was on at Guingamp to come here, I think.

Pay cut or no pay..

I still think there’s a chance, it’s not entirely impossible.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Lowe may have a few ends to tie up regarding his contract at Bury. Complicated perhaps as he hasn't been paid lately and he needs to secure owed monies from an unknown someone if a new buyer is found.

Let's also remember if the Chairman is in USA then any decisions/announcements are unlikely to be made before 1400 UK time.

If there is no press conference set up or announcement by 1700 tomorrow then I think it's not Lowe.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
JannerinCardiff":21c3tiw9 said:
MannameadGreen":21c3tiw9 said:

Pay cut or no pay..

I still think there’s a chance, it’s not entirely impossible.

Does anyone have any idea what Gourvennec’s English is like? (if any).

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
cheshiregreen":3sfjiv0a said:
Lowe may have a few ends to tie up regarding his contract at Bury. Complicated perhaps as he hasn't been paid lately and he needs to secure owed monies from an unknown someone if a new buyer is found.

Let's also remember if the Chairman is in USA then any decisions/announcements are unlikely to be made before 1400 UK time.

If there is no press conference set up or announcement by 1700 tomorrow then I think it's not Lowe.

I’d agree with that..

Oct 31, 2015
xmastree":1dru9z1p said:
Just think, next time we do this, not only will we have "Ollie's army" campaigning for him, we'll also have the #bringbackDerek brigade....

Hmm I know which bandwagon I won't be jumping on :funny: