Plymouth Argyle's new manager? | Page 90 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle's new manager?

Who do you want? New poll 25 May

• Ian Holloway

Votes: 114 50.0%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Michael Flynn

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Sol Campbell

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Jocelyn Gourvennec

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Keith Hill

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Adam Sadler

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Warren Joyce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Ryan Lowe

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Nobby":3d3qm5nd said:
Asides Ryan Lowe, I'm really not enthused by any of the names left on this list.

Fingers crossed there's names that we don't expect in the frame.

As for the talk of a female coach, not sure myself, quite a big gamble. However, the current Arsenal ladies coach Joe Montemurro has done a fantastic job and plays some excellent football. Very left-field, but it'd be interesting.
We do have Jocelyn (Gourvennec) included in the Skybet betting.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":3ffsfkr3 said:
JannerinCardiff":3ffsfkr3 said:
MannameadGreen":3ffsfkr3 said:
A couple of misconceptions about foreign football on this thread that I'd like to clean up.

Firstly, someone mentioned how size doesn't matter and specifically how Hoffenheim are a giant compared to Argyle. Hoffenheim were an obscure lower-league club until being bankrolled by a software millionaire. In a country where sugar daddy chairmen are rare, only RB Leipzig really compare.

Also, the second division of French football is fully professional, it's only beyond that where you begin to get semi-professional teams.

Don't think Gourvennec is realistic - even though Guingamp are not a big hitter, he has recently managed Bordeaux who are a big team (and even played in the Europa League). Moreover, Guingamp will have received a lot, lot more in TV rights from playing in Ligue 1 than we'll have for playing in the lower reaches of English league football. He'd almost certainly be taking a pay cut from what he was on at Guingamp to come here, I think.

Pay cut or no pay..

I still think there’s a chance, it’s not entirely impossible.

Does anyone have any idea what Gourvennec’s English is like? (if any).

Non.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I think the Lowe negotiations have gone on to long now.
If no statement today, I think it’s pointing to Flynn being our next Manager, after the play offs.
I think you can definitely rule out Holloway, as there is nothing that could stop his appointment by now.
If it is Flynn, I for one will be underwhelmed.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
plymouthboyuk":1moj24gs said:
If no statement today, I think it’s pointing to Flynn being our next Manager, after the play offs.
I think you can definitely rule out Holloway, as there is nothing that could stop his appointment by now.

I will be very very underwhelmed if it’s Flynn, a zero goal difference in L2 is nothing to shout about.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":1fo8u16l said:
plymouthboyuk":1fo8u16l said:

I will be very very underwhelmed if it’s Flynn, a zero goal difference in L2 is nothing to shout about.

Whilst it won’t be Flynn, I don’t agree with assessing a manager based on the goal difference.

Michael Flynn has taken Newport from surviving on the final day to the playoff final in two season. That is an impressive feat for a rookie manager, regardless of how many goals were scored/conceded on the way.

Aug 5, 2016
Exactly. It is a completely ignorant point. If every manager could win the league scoring three goals for every one conceded they would. Whilst I understand the fans yearning for entertaining football after the season we have just had, they have to understand the size of Newport County FC, where the club was heading when Flynn took over and what kind of state he has left them in. We fondly remember Pulis organising us and keeping us up - imagine him staying another season and getting us to a playoff final. Would our fans have been moaning about the goal difference column on their way down Wembley Way? I don't think so.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
JannerinCardiff":1ui0m4h2 said:
plymouthboyuk":1ui0m4h2 said:

Depends whether the zero is a net of 40 goals scored and 40 conceded or 80 scored and 80 conceded. One would be boring football, the other would be a season of entertaining games.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I bow to the superior knowledge of those who disagree with my being underwhelmed if Flynn is appointed.
I will try to keep my personal opinions to myself in future. Apparently we all have to think the same.

Oct 14, 2015
Lowe is 1/10 in the betting market and Flynn is 10/1.....

Not much of a betting man but looking at those odds it seems done deal to me however if you think it’s Flynn you could make a bit of cash

Think I’ll keep my money in my pocket..

Dec 16, 2004
Welwyn Pilgrim":ghr4cfqn said:
Lowe is 1/10 in the betting market and Flynn is 10/1.....

Not much of a betting man but looking at those odds it seems done deal to me however if you think it’s Flynn you could make a bit of cash

Think I’ll keep my money in my pocket..

Just to show how the betting market is easily moved; I logged in to my Skybet account earlier when Lowe was 1/7 and tried to place a £70 bet. Before the bet was taken by Skybet they moved the odds to 1/10 where they still are (I didn't place the bet).

I then tried to place £70 on Flynn at 10/1. Skybet refused to take the bet.

This demonstrates what some of us already knew, that is that this is a tiny market and a meagre investment will disturb it.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Think Sol Campbell could be a good outside bet think I would prefer him to Flynn ! More likely to move too as we would be a massive step up from Macclesfield and after all he isn't bothered about location as wouldn't have too Macc job
Think if Lowe is the one cut off should have been today to make his mind up

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
edengreen":1n55fatr said:
Think Sol Campbell could be a good outside bet think I would prefer him to Flynn ! More likely to move too as we would be a massive step up from Macclesfield and after all he isn't bothered about location as wouldn't have too Macc job
Think if Lowe is the one cut off should have been today to make his mind up

He’s popped in my head many times to take on the manager role

May 22, 2006
Sol Campbell was on talksport today, talking about how much he wanted to stay at Macclesfield.

Now he could be "doing an Ollie" but he sounded pretty genuine. Macc have had the same problems as Bury (non-payment of staff) but that's not really an issue for someone like him.

I'd be rather surprised if he did come here.