Ryan Hardie what's wrong? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Hardie what's wrong?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We definitely needed more up front but Cosgrove... do me a favour.

He's already flopped big time at this level with Birmingham.

As I said, he definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice but Hardie/Cosgrove/Waine would have been better than just Hardie/Waine.

Waine was our 4th choice striker in L1 last season, he’s now all of sudden our 2nd choice in the Championship, which definitely shows that we’ve regressed in that area.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
As I said, he definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice but Hardie/Cosgrove/Waine would have been better than just Hardie/Waine.
The big danger there was the possibility of aggresive Cossie being sent off for nobbling an opponent viz. the Bolton game in the Papa Final. Red Card accumulation on big salaries is not advantageous for a team.

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Yesterday his two golden chances were typical RH chances and when he is on fire he would have finished them. Nothing to do with tactics or formation.
However for the last few years he has gone from red hot to stone cold. He goes on streaks. Sadly he is on a stone cold streak at the mo. I think thats why hes not been in the scotland squad and also looked at by other championship teams in Jan.

I would 100% bench him on monday andnget moose on. Give his mind a reset.

Sep 3, 2011
Is that the guy who couldn't even hit the target with a free header from less than 6 yards, right in front of the goal last week?
Yeap, but Hardie is bang out of form and costing the club points. I expect Hardie will start though. He can't get into a poor Scotland team. Whittaker played every game when he was in the same situation. Seems to be a theme currently.

Jul 12, 2016
Yeap, but Hardie is bang out of form and costing the club points. I expect Hardie will start though. He can't get into a poor Scotland team. Whittaker played every game when he was in the same situation. Seems to be a theme currently.
At least he is getting in scoring positions. We do not have many options up front. Very easy to criticise but if Hardie doesn’t play who else is likely to score? The only choice IMHO is Issaka and would be quite a gamble.

Reactions: smudja and jimsing
Aug 8, 2014
Never been a massive Hardie fan, as he's form is always streaky. For a guy with so much pace he's always been so easily marked.
I have a lot more sympathy for him this season though as flogged to death with no back up.
I would have rested him yesterday but Fozzie had to play him as Waine just back in the country and forever whatever reason Fozzie doesn't fancy Freddie, which is criminal in our position

Reactions: Emeraldinho

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I've said since last season that Hardie is a better player when coming off the bench when there seems to be less pressure on him.

The problem is the lack of like for like replacements for him. Wayne isn't ready to lead the line at Championship level yet and Bundu lacks the pace to run the channels although he is physically stronger and not scared to head the ball.

It's Hobson's choice for Foster unfortunately and once again that comes back to poor recruitment in January.
I guess that’s the same poor January recruitment that Schumacher knew would be inevitable due to all the money having been spent in the summer and that was probably a major factor in him jumping ship as he did.

No manager would have been able to recruit very well for Argyle in January and that’s even without the unexpected loss of two useful loan players (Cundle and Kessler-Hayden) to add to the inevitable departure of Azaz. There’s a massive financial cap on how good the Argyle squad can be and I guess we’re in the process of finding out whether that cap is consistent with Championship football at present.

Jul 6, 2005

Waine was our 4th choice striker in L1 last season, he’s now all of sudden our 2nd choice in the Championship, which definitely shows that we’ve regressed in that area.
Agree about Waine.

The forwards situation - i.e. the lack of them - was a problem from the very start of the season, even before the Coburn deal collapsed.

The club knew last May that Ennis was going and that Waine would be nowhere near ready for regular Championship football.

It was really poor from Dewsnip, Schumacher and the recruitment team that with a whole summer to bring someone in, they failed abysmally.

All this talk of a thorough and professional recruitment policy at the club, identifying multiple potential targets using data analysis, is actually B/S.

The proof of the pudding and all that...

Looking at the players who were brought in, the reality is that it is the 'same old Argyle' and it will probably have dire consequences.

Apr 9, 2011
Hardie is playing like a man totally out of form & low on confidence. It just shows our appalling lack of firepower we have to keep starting him & hope for the best he comes good ! If he doesnt i fear for our Championship survival as his missed chances are costing us valuable points as was the case yesterday. Surely its time for IF to to try something/anything different

Reactions: Said old Green
Jul 6, 2005
He's one of the highest scoring strikers in the Championship. He's far more than a good League 1 striker.

He's a confidence player, always has been. For much of the last two months he's been completely starved of opportunities. You're never going to get the best out of him playing that way. He should have scored a couple v Blackburn, I haven't seen the chance from yesterday but plenty saying he should have scored that too. If he'd been in form I'm confident that he'd have scored more, but the way we're playing hasn't allowed him to hit form.
How does "the way we're playing" prevent Hardie from rolling the ball into the empty net yesterday or stop him from scoring in one on one situations with the Keeper, as he did at Blackburn and again yesterday?

Those scenarios must occur in training every day.

Sep 22, 2020
Hardie has had a very good season but his misses at Blackburn and Norwich have cost us possibly 3 points in this two games.

i should think it has also cost him his place in the scotland euro squad as he has not finished well in the last 4/5 weeks. a real shame as he must be better than lyndon dykes.

Reactions: Shades of Green

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Agree about Waine.

The forwards situation - i.e. the lack of them - was a problem from the very start of the season, even before the Coburn deal collapsed.

The club knew last May that Ennis was going and that Waine would be nowhere near ready for regular Championship football.

It was really poor from Dewsnip, Schumacher and the recruitment team that with a whole summer to bring someone in, they failed abysmally.

All this talk of a thorough and professional recruitment policy at the club, identifying multiple potential targets using data analysis, is actually B/S.

Looking at the players who were brought in, the reality is that it is the 'same old Argyle' and it will probably have dire consequences.

They failed to being a striker in because they was relying on us getting Coburn in on loan

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Agree about Waine.

That sums the situation up very well. Last year when Ennis or Hardie tired, around the 60 minute mark, we had the other to bring on. Later, if we were chasing a game, or looking for a different option, Cosgrove could come on. Neither of these changes weakened us, and that is the problem this season. Bring Hardie off for Waine and we are suddenly significantly weaker. Bundu hasn't convinced up top either, when he's played there.
I cannot understand how we failed to bring an additional striker in 2 consecutive windows. I would love for Ben Waine to come good, but I've seen enough now to convince me that it just isn't going to happen.
We need to play 3-4-2-1 on Monday with Bundu and Whittaker as 10s. Mumba and Miller on the flanks and actually go for their throat from the first minute. Please.
City have got a very good side on paper and have just beaten Leicester, so they will be full of confidence. We must play with tempo and as much belief as we can muster

Reactions: Paul green14
Jul 6, 2005
Hardie has had a very good season but his misses at Blackburn and Norwich have cost us possibly 3 points in this two games.

i should think it has also cost him his place in the scotland euro squad as he has not finished well in the last 4/5 weeks. a real shame as he must be better than lyndon dykes.
Completely different player to Lyndon Dykes. He's their physical, long ball CF option

Hardie is competing for a place in the squad against Shankland, Adams, Nisbet, the boy at Luton and a few others.

He was never going to get near the squad.

Reactions: Said old Green