Ryan Lowe press conference Tuesday on joining Argyle | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe press conference Tuesday on joining Argyle

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Devongreenowl":3aendz5w said:
All Ryan's press stuff has been very positive and he seems a natural in the media. Just a little niggle, he will need to give himself a cut off point at which he stops talking about 'what we did at Bury'. It’s natural to want to highlight previous success, but it can soon get tiresome. Certainly, the players will only want to hear so much of it before it winds them up. I thought in his Spotlight interview when he said he would sign all the Bury players if he could, that it was a slip up. We know he didn’t mean it, but he said it! Apart from that, he’s made a great start and I can’t wait to see how he starts to put his team together. Might even watch preseason!

I don't think its him talking about an ex that he still lusts over... more that we have likely recruited him because of what he achieved and how he achieved it at Bury. I expect the Chairman has asked him to recreate that here so it is only natural for him to talk about them when he explains his plans/ideas.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Devongreenowl":1ysnblvl said:
Tugboat":1ysnblvl said:
Never have I thought this before but I’m actually happy with getting relegated in hindsight.

We’ve drop in statue but grown massively now structure and positivity.

For the first time in a decade I feel like this club is going completely in the right direction with the right people in the right places and brilliant solid foundations being implemented.

In less than a week I also feel like we have a wow factor that has been missing for many seasons. There’s a vibe and a freshness to what we are after RL’s appointment and his positivity will play such a big role in our recruitment.

Literally can’t wait for the pre season to start :scarf:

Can’t agree with that. You can’t look on relegation as in any way positive. Agreed, Adams needed to go so ideally other results would have gone Argyles way on the last day and they would have stayed up. Lowe would have been coming into a div one team and then we would really see what he’s made of. That said, the whole vibe around appointing him has given the club such a buzz that early season optimism is going to be high and I can see crowds being excellent from the start. Really hope Ryan hits the ground running and the momentum starts from day one of the season

I seriously can.

It isn’t the same as a relegation from the premier league to the championship. The financial implications are far far less. It’s only really in stature that we have been effected by. L2 I instead of L1.

To have stayed up with Adams would have stagnated the fan base me style of football. I don’t think Carey or Ruben’s decisions would have been any different so the squad would have needed another overhaul.

By going into L2 we have been given the chance to re evaluate the entire squad under the watchful eye of a new positive and fresh manager to try and implement a complete new style of play for the next season and beyond.

If I was given the choice, again in hindsight, of just surviving in L1 with DA and for him to carry on with his style and approach or drop down and have this complete overhaul we are getting now then for me it’s a no brainier.

Sometimes to move forward you have to take a step back. We’ve taken that step back, hopefully we can now move forward with real positivity.

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
Tugboat":y91dwpgx said:
Devongreenowl":y91dwpgx said:
Tugboat":y91dwpgx said:
Never have I thought this before but I’m actually happy with getting relegated in hindsight.

For the first time in a decade I feel like this club is going completely in the right direction with the right people in the right places and brilliant solid foundations being implemented.

In less than a week I also feel like we have a wow factor that has been missing for many seasons. There’s a vibe and a freshness to what we are after RL’s appointment and his positivity will play such a big role in our recruitment.

Can’t agree with that. You can’t look on relegation as in any way positive. Agreed, Adams needed to go so ideally other results would have gone Argyles way on the last day and they would have stayed up. Lowe would have been coming into a div one team and then we would really see what he’s made of. That said, the whole vibe around appointing him has given the club such a buzz that early season optimism is going to be high and I can see crowds being excellent from the start. Really hope Ryan hits the ground running and the momentum starts from day one of the season

I seriously can.

It isn’t the same as a relegation from the premier league to the championship. The financial implications are far far less. It’s only really in stature that we have been effected by. L2 I instead of L1.

To have stayed up with Adams would have stagnated the fan base me style of football. I don’t think Carey or Ruben’s decisions would have been any different so the squad would have needed another overhaul.

By going into L2 we have been given the chance to re evaluate the entire squad under the watchful eye of a new positive and fresh manager to try and implement a complete new style of play for the next season and beyond.

If I was given the choice, again in hindsight, of just surviving in L1 with DA and for him to carry on with his style and approach or drop down and have this complete overhaul we are getting now then for me it’s a no brainier.

Sometimes to move forward you have to take a step back. We’ve taken that step back, hopefully we can now move forward with real positivity.

Nail hit firmly on the head. My thoughts precisely.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I sort of get where you are coming from but to think we are in a league with a trapdoor terrifies me and always has.

Love the new feeling about the place, love what SH is saying, love what Lowey is saying BUT let me point to Notts County and Bristol Rovers in recent years, both of them had far far bigger budgets than us and both of them fell though that trapdoor.

It worries me no end. Plus as I have ALWAYS said, if we find ourselves playing Exeter it usually more often than to means we are not in a good place.

May 13, 2019
First post on Pasoti after reading the forum for about 10 years. :wave:

Back to the topic. I have just been reading the Bury FC forum and they have been discussing how they think RL has sounded miserable in his interviews compared to the ones he have whilst he was Bury manager? Also still claiming that he never wanted the job but was forced to take it.

I am thinking that they are bitter because in his interviews he sounded very excited to be here and was saying all right things to get the fans engaged.

I can’t wait for the season and cannot wait to see the style of football he implements in to the team. :scarf:

May 16, 2016
Devongreenowl":mkln0ahd said:
All Ryan's press stuff has been very positive and he seems a natural in the media. Just a little niggle, he will need to give himself a cut off point at which he stops talking about 'what we did at Bury'. It’s natural to want to highlight previous success, but it can soon get tiresome. Certainly, the players will only want to hear so much of it before it winds them up. I thought in his Spotlight interview when he said he would sign all the Bury players if he could, that it was a slip up. We know he didn’t mean it, but he said it! Apart from that, he’s made a great start and I can’t wait to see how he starts to put his team together. Might even watch preseason!

The Spotlight interview also got to grips with the important issues facing him, such as 'favourite Spice Girl' and 'Jam or Cream first', felt embarrased for him and the area in general.

Oct 20, 2015
Couple of observations. Only just seen the clip as we don't get Spotlight here in the West Midlands!

1) Chris Errington was right to labour the point about where RL will be based. There's a hundred or so pages of Pasoti discussions on that very subject so it's an issue important to most fans. I have to say I think RL's answer is pretty noncommital - he's basically leaving it to his family to decide where they live. Fine, but I thought SH said it was a 'red line' in the recruiting process? I hope this doesn't end up being a stick we beat him with.

2) Amateurish press conference and filming. Partly down to the venue, partly down to the techniques and equipment. Sound quality was awful - remember this is being broadcast on BBC TV and radio - I couldn't hear the interviewer's questions. Terrible echo in the room. RL should have been miked up, and a less echoey venue chosen. Venue looked bare and low-rent, too. Multiple camera angles but few that added any benefit for the viewer.

Some of this may be down to HP redevelopment - I guess they'd want to do it on home turf if possible. But I guarantee there's better TV-friendly conference facilities within a 10 mile radius of HP.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
slingsby_pobble":2636zraq said:
2) Amateurish press conference and filming. Partly down to the venue, partly down to the techniques and equipment. Sound quality was awful - remember this is being broadcast on BBC TV and radio - I couldn't hear the interviewer's questions. Terrible echo in the room. RL should have been miked up, and a less echoey venue chosen. Venue looked bare and low-rent, too. Multiple camera angles but few that added any benefit for the viewer.

I thought the absolute opposite :lol:

I thought it looked very slick, whether it was the Manadon venue or the TV screens above Parkinson and Lowe. Wherever the initial interviews were, also looked good with the Puma/Ginsters/Argyle branding behind Lowe.

The various videos produced look better than 95% of what Football League clubs would produce, with Charlie's first day one obviously the pick of the bunch.

Oct 20, 2015
Tugboat":22m7jbba said:
Devongreenowl":22m7jbba said:
Tugboat":22m7jbba said:

I seriously can.

I've been thinking about this too, the difference/impact of moving between L1 and L2. On the one hand I totally agree with IJN - L2 has a 'trapdoor' from which it's very difficult to escape.

On the other hand, there isn't the huge gulf between L1 and L2 that you find between Championship and L1 (certainly in financial terms). Arguably also between Premiership and Championship.

L1 and L2 in my mind are just one big EFL league - you move up, you move down, but you rarely move out.

Also I was thinking of the practicalities of operating in League 2. Will I cheer with 25% less enthusiasm if we score because we're in L2 not L1? No way! Every goal is golden, no matter where we are.

In other words, the 'fun' (or pain) of the match day experience is not diminished by being in League 2. Would I rather we were in L1? Of course, but that probably would have meant DA still being at the helm.

Swings and roundabouts...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
slingsby_pobble":tuf7nlij said:
Tugboat":tuf7nlij said:
Devongreenowl":tuf7nlij said:
Tugboat":tuf7nlij said:

I seriously can.

I've been thinking about this too, the difference/impact of moving between L1 and L2. On the one hand I totally agree with IJN - L2 has a 'trapdoor' from which it's very difficult to escape.

On the other hand, there isn't the huge gulf between L1 and L2 that you find between Championship and L1 (certainly in financial terms). Arguably also between Premiership and Championship.

L1 and L2 in my mind are just one big EFL league - you move up, you move down, but you rarely move out.

Also I was thinking of the practicalities of operating in League 2. Will I cheer with 25% less enthusiasm if we score because we're in L2 not L1? No way! Every goal is golden, no matter where we are.

In other words, the 'fun' (or pain) of the match day experience is not diminished by being in League 2. Would I rather we were in L1? Of course, but that probably would have meant DA still being at the helm.

Swings and roundabouts...

As I said, it would have been great if we’d survived on the last day, because Adams had already been sacked and one assumes Ryan Lowe would still have been sought after. Perhaps though, his lack of div 1 experience would have meant we wouldn’t have been quite so optimistic with his appointment as we are now. Just don’t think it makes any sense to ever say it’s a good thing we were relegated. At least in div one there were some big names to look forward to (ok, not that many, whereas div 2 not really). Mind you, at least Argyle are the big name now!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Of course, it pains me to say this but I can remember some Wednesdayites saying perhaps it was a good thing when we got relegated from the Premiership. We can regroup, come back stronger and all that sort of stuff.

That was 19 bloody years ago!

20 years of hurt this year!

Oct 31, 2015
F236Green":34n6obn1 said:
First post on Pasoti after reading the forum for about 10 years. :wave:

Back to the topic. I have just been reading the Bury FC forum and they have been discussing how they think RL has sounded miserable in his interviews compared to the ones he have whilst he was Bury manager? Also still claiming that he never wanted the job but was forced to take it.

I am thinking that they are bitter because in his interviews he sounded very excited to be here and was saying all right things to get the fans engaged.

I can’t wait for the season and cannot wait to see the style of football he implements in to the team. :scarf:

Blimey really.

I thought his interviews were upbeat. What was he like at Bury? Dancing around the room.

We must be too used to interviews from DA and Sheridan and have forgotten what upbeat is like.

I do think they are right about he had no option but leave and if the club was in a better position of course he would have stayed with them. That will always be in the background and I think he will end up back there in the future.

Jun 18, 2019
Schumacher was the architect that inspired Bury to how they did. Played attacking football but unfortunately the defending was very poor particularly from the wide areas and set pieces.