Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction

Aug 11, 2013
Jury’s out for me on Lowe. On the whole I feel he has slightly underachieved this year. Danny Mayor in the team masks a lot of problems and I do wonder what we’d look like without him which must be a real possibility next year. If he’s not pulling the strings we look plain ordinary. League 2 standard even. If we go into next year without Danny Mayor I can only see a relegation dog fight ..

Mar 14, 2009
People are talking like what happened on Monday was a one off.

We went in at 0-0. That first half was poor. Yet the second half was atrocious.

Now look back at the last handful of games. Even in games we got points in. And look at how we played in the first 45 mins and then compare this to the second 45 mins.

We are talking on this thread like this was an isolated incident. It’s been happening for most of the season. My frustration isn’t just with the Monday performance. It’s with the majority of second half performances this season.

So people talk about we played like we are on holiday as we reached 52 points. So what’s the excuse for playing so poorly in second half of games all the way back on November for example.

It’s not their mentality on Monday that’s the problem. It’s the mentality that’s been carrying on this season that is. I hope what we saw on Monday from Lowe was his patience finally snap with a number of individuals. We shall see.

Oct 5, 2013
rsp4":38b0l13l said:
Just got around to watching RLs post match comments.

What a breath of fresh air that was with him losing his rag. A lot of people said that performance wasn't good enough and the manager came out and wore his heart on his sleeve.

What some manager consultants on here seem to forget that interview was after they had shown the players some clips as well so not exactly knee jerk.

As a Senior Manager myself I reckon I have lost my rag once, maybe twice in 10 years of my current employment and do.tou know what?both times got a reaction because it was our of character. Sometimes the books and courses cannot make up for human emotion which is occasionally needed.

In my opinion the squad do think it's all over this season. The loan players (of which there are too many) have nothing to fight for with Argyle and the full time pros are already on holiday. As it is that defensive unit has been inept all season and now they are thinking about their holidays as well

Interesting to hear the manager not blame Conor Grant but lay it out about the CB who was out of position.

Well done Ryan for laying it out as you did. It wasn't good enough and the team need to know in no uncertain terms how poorly they went about their job :clap:

So we should get a decent performance on Saturday then ......

Oct 5, 2013
Metal_Green_Mickey":2xikih2r said:

Now look back at the last handful of games. Even in games we got points in. And look at how we played in the first 45 mins and then compare this to the second 45 mins.

We are talking on this thread like this was an isolated incident. It’s been happening for most of the season. My frustration isn’t just with the Monday performance. It’s with the majority of second half performances this season.

So people talk about we played like we are on holiday as we reached 52 points. So what’s the excuse for playing so poorly in second half of games all the way back on November for example.

It’s not their mentality on Monday that’s the problem. It’s the mentality that’s been carrying on this season that is. I hope what we saw on Monday from Lowe was his patience finally snap with a number of individuals. We shall see.

We’ll never know what RL is really thinking about his own input, but as you say, the fact is that this pattern goes back many months. To me this suggests he’s not personally learning much from poor performances, for example how to make better tactical changes and how to get the best out of his players.
I find this of some concern.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":rmrds784 said:

You haven’t mentioned this recently, Mickey, but I am coming around to your suggestion of playing Joe Edwards in midfield. He did not have his best game at Shrewsbury and I think he may have been carrying a knock but, if fit, I think it could be worth trying him in the middle.
In many ways, I think that Camara and Fornah are similar and do not necessarily complement each other. I think they can both be exposed for pace when turning by nippy midfielders.
I have not been too impressed with Byron Moore (mainly as a sub) this season but, perhaps, he could take RWB role.

Jul 12, 2016
Keith_Whitfield":3vtaprjg said:
I am sorry, justanotherfan, that you take exception to the language I used to make my point. Perhaps you should have focused on what I was trying to convey rather than the way I expressed it.

Having studied, researched, taught and practiced management for many a long year, I felt that I had something to contribute to the debate on here. My main point was that, in most situations, an emotional immediate response by senior managers to a disappointing outcome is counter-productive. A better response is to calmly analyse what went wrong (including and especially their own actions in the scenario) and to try in put in place practices that reduce the likelihood of the said event happening again.

I'm not saying that I've always practiced what I've preached, but I can possibly pick up when someone has pressed the wrong buttons better than most. This seems to be one of those situations.

The saving grace is that our chairman has read much of the good management literature and his business track-record indicates that he is good at putting this into practice. I am sure that he will counsel our management team to deploy the more effective techniques to respond to this single defeat that came after two wins and a draw. Luckily we are in good hands and Ryan Lowe should bless his lucky stars that he has such a shrewd mentor.
Beware of anybody who has " studied,researched,taught and practised management for many a long year" Probably an academic with little grasp of the real world and next to no common sense.
I have come across a number of these so called experts during my career and yes I am professionally qualified but to suggest anybody who reads good management literature is good at managing is IMO fanciful.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Reading everyones thoughts has got me thinking- is RL burying is head in the sand regarding the ongoing issues we have had this season or his he just flying by the seat of his pants & awaiting the end of season report- if it is the latter the remaining games will not be enjoyable.

His numerous,tweaking, tinkering, bizarre subsitutions & failure to adapt to every eventuality during the phases of a match suggest his fixation on playing one way & one way only is detrimental to the team

Many have said our 2nd half failures are due to the fact the opposition have sussed us out- if that is the case it must be soul destroying to the boys that they are in a very rigid structure & they have not been given the tools to be able to counteract whatever the opposition throw at them

It is ok RL saying we will score more than the opposition but when we only score 1 that is an issue as we have seen on more than 1 occasion this season- for all the knowledgeable people he has around him surely they see what we see or are they all totally locked into the strategy RL adopts - if that is the case next season will be the same as this season albeit different playing personnel

Yes i accept RL is only a couple of years into is management career & he is still learning his trade but if we are to progress he needs to adapt & take the learning lessons of this season into next season :think:

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It’s interesting to read all of the comments about the effectiveness of different management styles (wider than just football). I think that a key point that is somewhat missing in the discussion is that it is not simply the manager’s style that makes a difference but also the way that the person being managed responds to it. People are very different and within a team there may be some that need a more direct/aggressive management style and others who need a more gentle ‘coaching’ approach in order to do their best work. Using a single management approach or being adaptable but using the wrong approach for the wrong individual doesn’t help anyone. So the real skill of management is to have ability to use a wide range of approaches AND to know which ones to deploy with which people.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Watch out, Doc. Comments like that will result in you being accused of that sin above all sins - being an academic. Oh...........

PS - agree with what you're saying, but all of that should be done in private - washing dirty linen in public, and all that.

Jul 12, 2016
The Doctor":7yza99km said:
It’s interesting to read all of the comments about the effectiveness of different management styles (wider than just football). I think that a key point that is somewhat missing in the discussion is that it is not simply the manager’s style that makes a difference but also the way that the person being managed responds to it. People are very different and within a team there may be some that need a more direct/aggressive management style and others who need a more gentle ‘coaching’ approach in order to do their best work. Using a single management approach or being adaptable but using the wrong approach for the wrong individual doesn’t help anyone. So the real skill of management is to have ability to use a wide range of approaches AND to know which ones to deploy with which people.
Spot on. :thumbup:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
cheshiregreen":3bfmaax4 said:
On the player interview point, does anyone recall Danny Mayor being interviewed pre or post match?

Even a few of the younger pros, Fornah and Cooper have been on duty occasionally.

Agree re Schumacher and Nancekivell would be good to hear from them.

Funnily enough Danny Mayor faced the media today, probably for the first or second time this season.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
oldage":782jsprl said:
The Doctor":782jsprl said:

Blimey. I feel really honoured. I AM an academic by the way!
(But I have been involved in managing - people and things - for many years)

Jul 12, 2016
The Doctor":2gzbhsrk said:
oldage":2gzbhsrk said:
The Doctor":2gzbhsrk said:

Blimey. I feel really honoured. I AM an academic by the way!
(But I have been involved in managing - people and things - for many years)
No need to feel honoured! :lol: No text book or computer data can prepare you to manage all individuals.As you rightly say a wide range of approaches are needed to manage successfully.
One size does not fit all.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
cheshiregreen":2y9bs32g said:
On the player interview point, does anyone recall Danny Mayor being interviewed pre or post match?

Even a few of the younger pros, Fornah and Cooper have been on duty occasionally.

Agree re Schumacher and Nancekivell would be good to hear from them.

Danny must read Pasoti as he provided the pre Hull video. :shh: :lol:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Yet again, yet again, Pasoti is full of people trying to twist facts to suit their agenda.

"We were lucky to get promoted last season", "we only got promoted due to covid". Really? And you know that, how? When the music stopped, we were 3rd. What's to say that we wouldn't have gone on to win the league? (I'm not saying that we would have, but how can anyone possibly know that we definitely wouldn't have gone up?!). Its impossible to know what would have happened, but to say that we were staggering over the line and the season stoppage came at just the right time is absolute b*llocks, we had just won two games in a row 3-0, had been on generally good form since November, and were making up ground on promotion rivals, not losing it.

Also, there doesn't have to be an excuse for every bad thing Ryan Lowe has done in his managerial career either. We have stayed up this season but we haven't exactly been brilliant. Yes, he did get Bury relegated. Yes, he did have a ridiculously good Bury team that he got promoted with.

So far, for us, he has been more positive than negative. But next season is the real acid test for Lowe, we need to be pushing towards the top 6, top half at the very least. Fail to do that, and questions will be asked.