Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":3erlsiil said:
oldage":3erlsiil said:
IMO last season we were very lucky to get promoted.

How so? I really don't get this we were fortunate to be promoted thing.

We were in the top three when the season ended, we were in the title race (1 point separating us and Crewe who were top), we certainly weren't in poor form, in fact I think we won our final two games of last season three nil.
Did you watch us last season? We were far from convincing.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oldage":17g5chcc said:
Mark Pedlar":17g5chcc said:
oldage":17g5chcc said:
Cobi Budge":17g5chcc said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":17g5chcc said:
I can’t honestly say hand on heart Lowe is a good manager currently as lm not sure what evidence there is to back this up.

His record thus far suggests he is, two promotions followed by consolidation in the league above. Is he perfect? No. Is he doing quite well given it's very early in his managerial career? Yes.
That's your opinion but others are less convinced he is a good manager.He has won promotion in the normal way only once.
Admittedly he has kept us in this division but the football he promised has, by and large failed to materialise.

And that is your opinion, a vast number of others won't agree with you.

Far from being lucky to get promoted, In my opinion Covid cost us a title.
Covid cost us the title? We staggered over the line. The worse promotion winning team I have witnessed. How do you know a vast number of others won't agree with me?

Cos there's about 10 noisy posters on here who are sharing your view and there are at least 100 who don't.

Last 10 results last season
Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1
Drew 0-0
Drew 1-1
Won 2-1
Won 3-2
Lost 3-0
Won 1-0
Drew 2-2
Winning the previous 4

20 points from a possible 30

Hardly "staggering".

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Mark Pedlar":fc9kqrpa said:
oldage":fc9kqrpa said:
Mark Pedlar":fc9kqrpa said:
oldage":fc9kqrpa said:
Cobi Budge":fc9kqrpa said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":fc9kqrpa said:
I can’t honestly say hand on heart Lowe is a good manager currently as lm not sure what evidence there is to back this up.

His record thus far suggests he is, two promotions followed by consolidation in the league above. Is he perfect? No. Is he doing quite well given it's very early in his managerial career? Yes.
That's your opinion but others are less convinced he is a good manager.He has won promotion in the normal way only once.
Admittedly he has kept us in this division but the football he promised has, by and large failed to materialise.

Covid cost us the title? We staggered over the line. The worse promotion winning team I have witnessed. How do you know a vast number of others won't agree with me?

Cos there's about 10 noisy posters on here who are sharing your view and there are at least 100 who don't.

Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1
Drew 0-0
Drew 1-1
Won 2-1
Won 3-2
Lost 3-0
Won 1-0
Drew 2-2
Winning the previous 4

Hardly "staggering".

Well, you can prove anything with facts can't you?!

Jul 12, 2016
Mark Pedlar":31774vwc said:
oldage":31774vwc said:
Mark Pedlar":31774vwc said:
oldage":31774vwc said:
Cobi Budge":31774vwc said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":31774vwc said:

Won 3-0
Won 3-0
Lost 2-1
Drew 0-0
Drew 1-1
Won 2-1
Won 3-2
Lost 3-0
Won 1-0
Drew 2-2
Winning the previous 4

Hardly "staggering".
Who is to say we would have got promoted without the Covid interruption? Despite your facts we were far from convincing but rode our luck. Presumably you didn't watch previous promotion teams. However for whatever reason we made it and after the previous wasted season we are back to where we deserve to be. Although we have different opinions we are ALL Argyle supporters at the end of the day and only want the best for our club

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
"Presumably you didn't watch previous promotion teams."

Really?

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
I am sorry, justanotherfan, that you take exception to the language I used to make my point. Perhaps you should have focused on what I was trying to convey rather than the way I expressed it.

Having studied, researched, taught and practiced management for many a long year, I felt that I had something to contribute to the debate on here. My main point was that, in most situations, an emotional immediate response by senior managers to a disappointing outcome is counter-productive. A better response is to calmly analyse what went wrong (including and especially their own actions in the scenario) and to try in put in place practices that reduce the likelihood of the said event happening again.

I'm not saying that I've always practiced what I've preached, but I can possibly pick up when someone has pressed the wrong buttons better than most. This seems to be one of those situations.

The saving grace is that our chairman has read much of the good management literature and his business track-record indicates that he is good at putting this into practice. I am sure that he will counsel our management team to deploy the more effective techniques to respond to this single defeat that came after two wins and a draw. Luckily we are in good hands and Ryan Lowe should bless his lucky stars that he has such a shrewd mentor.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Keith_Whitfield":1fogejm4 said:
I am sorry, justanotherfan, that you take exception to the language I used to make my point. Perhaps you should have focused on what I was trying to convey rather than the way I expressed it.

Having studied, researched, taught and practiced management for many a long year, I felt that I had something to contribute to the debate on here. My main point was that, in most situations, an emotional immediate response by senior managers to a disappointing outcome is counter-productive. A better response is to calmly analyse what went wrong (including and especially their own actions in the scenario) and to try in put in place practices that reduce the likelihood of the said event happening again.

I'm not saying that I've always practiced what I've preached, but I can possibly pick up when someone has pressed the wrong buttons better than most. This seems to be one of those situations.

The saving grace is that our chairman has read much of the good management literature and his business track-record indicates that he is good at putting this into practice. I am sure that he will counsel our management team to deploy the more effective techniques to respond to this single defeat that came after two wins and a draw. Luckily we are in good hands and Ryan Lowe should bless his lucky stars that he has such a shrewd mentor.

Agree entirely with this. Perhaps 'The Chimp Paradox' by Professor Steve Peters should be on his reading list if it is not already. Peters was the man behind the acclaimed success of Sir Chris Hoy, Victoria Pendleton and Ronnie O'Sullivan in dealing with emotion over rational thinking. A life changing read.

I wouldn’t discount the possible effectiveness of RL’s outburst, which was out of character with his reaction to previous poor performances. For example I liked his reaction to our 4-0 defeat to Exeter, when he calmly said that the squad needed to treat this as a kick up the backside. We then went on the run that resulted in promotion.

In over 40 years of management I only lost my temper twice. It was so out of character that it left my colleagues and me in a mild state of shock afterwards. However it turned out to be two of the best actions I ever took, with a galvanising effect on everyone.

I think RL is bright enough to get this right, as he acquires experience.

Mark Smith

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Responding first on how we finished last season, it’s harsh to say we staggered over the line, but we were certainly helped by Exeter choking and a fixture rearrangement that worked against Cheltenham. We could easily have finished fourth or fifth, there was a degree of good fortune that we didn’t.

But we were there when it mattered thanks to Lowe having found the personnel and tactics to make it out of the fourth division. It was clear enough that the same personnel and tactics wouldn’t work as well one league higher, but most of us only wanted consolidation and that’s what we have achieved (in a difficult context).

His reaction was born out of frustration also at his own inability to change things around, but on another day without the deflection and back pass we might have played out a drab 0-0 and all have moved on. Personally I don’t expect us to be anywhere near Hull and I won’t be calling for his head any time soon.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Keith_Whitfield":2c2qdekz said:

I agree with all you are saying, Keith and you certainly seem well qualified to express your opinion.
Clearly, you are, or have been, a manager and have utilised the skills that you have learnt and put them in to practice.
As I understand it, managers of professional football clubs are contracted to be interviewed within a short period of time after a match is completed. The manager does not have the time to reflect on a game that has, obviously, been very frustrating for him.
I respect that you are in a good position to advise and I am wondering if, in your teaching role, how you would have advised a professional football manager to respond in a recorded interview within a few minutes of a disappointing performance by his team?
Bearing in mind that he did not criticise any individual player and he does not have a lot of time to put together ‘careful, constructive words’.

Dec 16, 2004
Keith_Whitfield":1qtfnuba said:

I agree broadly with your sentiments but I have a few observations.

How do we know that RL lambasted them in the way that he said he did? My view is that most of what he said on camera was for the fans, media etc. In the changing room he may well have been more rational and, even, self critical. Football managers, politicians, business leaders etc. play to the camera and they are more often than not more considered in real life than they appear.

Secondly, I have worked for several multi national organisation in a variety of senior roles. I have been on the receiving end of a number of managment styles. By far the most effective, by a country mile, were the managers who knew when to give you a roasting (and I've had some mega ones) but also knew when to put an arm around your shoulder and take you down the pub or to big you up. RL strikes me as this sort of bloke.

I supect RL was more empathetic to Grant (who just made a mistake) than he was to, say, Hardie who gave very little effort and, in my opinon, deserved a rocket up his jacksie. I would be very surprised if Hardie puts in such a lacklustre performance again.

Apr 1, 2009
lyndhurst13":16dxejce said:
How do we know that RL lambasted them in the way that he said he did? My view is that most of what he said on camera was for the fans, media etc. In the changing room he may well have been more rational and, even, self critical. Football managers, politicians, business leaders etc. play to the camera and they are more often than not more considered in real life than they appear.

Secondly, I have worked for several multi national organisation in a variety of senior roles. I have been on the receiving end of a number of managment styles. By far the most effective, by a country mile, were the managers who knew when to give you a roasting (and I've had some mega ones) but also knew when to put an arm around your shoulder and take you down the pub or to big you up. RL strikes me as this sort of bloke.

Very much my thoughts since this thread was started.

Oct 31, 2015
Just got around to watching RLs post match comments.

What a breath of fresh air that was with him losing his rag. A lot of people said that performance wasn't good enough and the manager came out and wore his heart on his sleeve.

What some manager consultants on here seem to forget that interview was after they had shown the players some clips as well so not exactly knee jerk.

As a Senior Manager myself I reckon I have lost my rag once, maybe twice in 10 years of my current employment and do.tou know what?both times got a reaction because it was our of character. Sometimes the books and courses cannot make up for human emotion which is occasionally needed.

In my opinion the squad do think it's all over this season. The loan players (of which there are too many) have nothing to fight for with Argyle and the full time pros are already on holiday. As it is that defensive unit has been inept all season and now they are thinking about their holidays as well

Interesting to hear the manager not blame Conor Grant but lay it out about the CB who was out of position.

Well done Ryan for laying it out as you did. It wasn't good enough and the team need to know in no uncertain terms how poorly they went about their job :clap:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
You don't need to be an expert to see that the Argyle players had their flip flops already packed ready to holiday....you can't simply write off this match as just another bad day at the office....it was terrible....the worst performance of the season ....and RL said what a lot of fans were thinking.....