Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe's post-match reaction

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Quintrell_Green":32fj6p1x said:
Perhaps RL has been reading the Mourinho book of football management? Having said that, I see no reason why a professional footballer should not accept criticism / bollockings for a poor performance, just the same as a Chief Executive should castigate a Contracts Manager for failing performances. Some of these guys are on very good annual salaries [I know the old chestnut about short careers too] but as the former US President Truman said, 'if you cannot stand the heat son, get out of the kitchen'. Remember, they get praised in post match interviews too, for good performances. Argyle's players should be able to take it on their chins.

I don't know if it's club policy this season but it's rare to see a post-match interview with a player after a defeat.
Similarly there's a player Twitter blackout after a defeat although that is a sensible decision considering the rabid nature of Twitter.

I would like to see Schumacher or Nancekivell interviewed before or after league games just to get their thoughts, this has happened only in the EFL Trophy games.
Some fans might accuse Lowe of hiding from the media but now and again it would be good to hear the thoughts of the other staff.

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
On the player interview point, does anyone recall Danny Mayor being interviewed pre or post match?

Even a few of the younger pros, Fornah and Cooper have been on duty occasionally.

Agree re Schumacher and Nancekivell would be good to hear from them.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
I think Mayor is a shy type so that's fair enough although not so good for the club when the star player is rarely seen, especially when promoting the club or new merchandise.

Oct 5, 2013
Quintrell_Green":1o6f3fsa said:
Perhaps RL has been reading the Mourinho book of football management? Having said that, I see no reason why a professional footballer should not accept criticism / bollockings for a poor performance, just the same as a Chief Executive should castigate a Contracts Manager for failing performances. Some of these guys are on very good annual salaries [I know the old chestnut about short careers too] but as the former US President Truman said, 'if you cannot stand the heat son, get out of the kitchen'. Remember, they get praised in post match interviews too, for good performances. Argyle's players should be able to take it on their chins.

Why give a bollocking in public though?

Oct 5, 2013
philevs":uvzek7f6 said:
Quintrell_Green":uvzek7f6 said:

Why give a bollocking in public though?

Do you think that helps morale?

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
Think you've got it spot on, Philevs. Ryan Lowe is a good manager, potentially a very good one, but his person-management skills need some improving. Creating an oppositional divide within the workforce is never a way to go. And all this nonsense about "giving a good bollocking" is about as close to good management as Elburton Villa are to the Premiership. The players know that they had a bad day at the office. They don't need to be told that. What they need is constructive advice as to how they don't let that happen again.

To my mind, Ryan Lowe messed up with his post-match interview, allowing emotion to overcome good sense. Apparently, he has been learning how the RNLI deal with difficult situations. That should teach him a thing or two about needing to be constructive rather than overly-emotional. He's not a fan; not even a supporter. He's the bloke with whom the buck stops and he's got to realise how he best turns around a bad situation. Any manager worth his or her salt will tell him that careful, constructive words carry more weight than emotional sounding-off.

Oct 5, 2013
Keith_Whitfield":6cw6otut said:
Think you've got it spot on, Philevs. Ryan Lowe is a good manager, potentially a very good one, but his person-management skills need some improving. Creating an oppositional divide within the workforce is never a way to go. And all this nonsense about "giving a good bollocking" is about as close to good management as Elburton Villa are to the Premiership. The players know that they had a bad day at the office. They don't need to be told that. What they need is constructive advice as to how they don't let that happen again.

To my mind, Ryan Lowe messed up with his post-match interview, allowing emotion to overcome good sense. Apparently, he has been learning how the RNLI deal with difficult situations. That should teach him a thing or two about needing to be constructive rather than overly-emotional. He's not a fan; not even a supporter. He's the bloke with whom the buck stops and he's got to realise how he best turns around a bad situation. Any manager worth his or her salt will tell him that careful, constructive words carry more weight than emotional sounding-off.

Thanks, and I agree with your comments.

What surprised me was not only that RL said what he did publicly, but also that he was openly wanting to get things off his chest and not take them home to his family.
I found his interview not only emotional but also unprofessional, and very concerning for our clubā€™s future unless he changes his approach.
The mindset needs to be ā€œweā€ (the coaching staff and players), and not ā€œtheyā€ (where the players are viewed as separate from the coaching staff). Otherwise itā€™s not the family he referred to creating when he first arrived.
ā€œWE are Argyleā€ is our clubā€™s motto, after all.

I support RL along with his ambitions for our club, but not unconditionally, and for me support has to be merited. His behaviour here was not in the best interests of the club, imo, and he needs to learn from this quickly, for itā€™s not the first time this season that heā€™s blamed performances solely on the players.

Sep 2, 2008
Keith_Whitfield":2wxgl38f said:

I think they get this on a very regular basis after listening to a load of his post match interviews after each loss. Thing is, they don't learn and don't do what he wants them to do.

There will be a number of them that already know what their plans are so get that info out now. I think he has to accept that for many of the players the season is over so start rebuilding now. We are not going to win any of our remaining games anyway so start sorting the wheat from the chaff early..

Oct 5, 2013
Pottypilgrim":35z5eadz said:
Keith_Whitfield":35z5eadz said:

I think they get this on a very regular basis after listening to a load of his post match interviews after each loss. Thing is, they don't learn and don't do what he wants them to do.

There will be a number of them that already know what their plans are so get that info out now. I think he has to accept that for many of the players the season is over so start rebuilding now. We are not going to win any of our remaining games anyway so start sorting the wheat from the chaff early..

Asking because I donā€™t fully understand your post: do you think his sounding off was part of the sorting out process you mention? And do you think itā€™s true that the poor performance was solely the fault of the players?

Jul 12, 2016
Quintrell_Green":14fr2125 said:
I'm with you. This management trend is like a lot of the other so called modern approaches to football , a load of old tosh.
People are making shed loads of money imposing these ideals on clubs who feel they are missing out if they don't follow suit.
If the players are that soft perhaps that is one of the reasons we are so easy to beat.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
If he sounded relaxed and pleased with the performance, people would be hounding him.

Instead he was up front and honest and apologetic for the display, and people are hounding him for that.

He canā€™t really win.

I donā€™t think Ryan Lowe is the second coming of Christ or anything like that, but I do think heā€™s a good guy, a good manager and I think heā€™s doing good things for the club, and some people should cut him some slack.

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
Very much an issue with modern day lower league football. You almost have to pick alot of guys you know that are counting down time.
The moment they under-perform, its human nature to believe some of them might be short changing you and not putting the effort in. You dont want to upset clubs who have loaned you players, so i totally understand his frustration. We dont have the numbers to make mass changes, so he reverts to the time honoured tradition of a public dressing down.
In the words of Leslie Nielson - Nothing to see here, please move on.

Wembury Pilgrim

āœ… Evergreen
Dec 15, 2020
Totally agree with Cobi Budge - we Argyle fans need to be realistic. RL is a good manager learning the ropes. Miracles such as Sturrock donā€™t come round often and Lowe is on the right path

Mar 14, 2009
I think jury is out on Lowe.

For two reasons.

1. We arenā€™t seeing much tactically flexibility before or during games unless we get on a desperate run. This four at the back only happened because of the run of bad results.

2. Every game is ground hogs day. Decent first half. Woeful second half. Conceding of very good opportunities from the first minute of the second half. He hasnā€™t impacted this. Itā€™s just carries on until we concede. His tactical changes donā€™t change the course of the game.

The tactical side of things in the lower leagues is so important as thatā€™s where you get the edge in games. The higher up the leagues you go the gulf in budgets of teams help the disparities of those leagues.

I canā€™t honestly say hand on heart Lowe is a good manager currently as lm not sure what evidence there is to back this up.

Cobi Budge

Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":29nidyo3 said:
I canā€™t honestly say hand on heart Lowe is a good manager currently as lm not sure what evidence there is to back this up.

His record thus far suggests he is, two promotions followed by consolidation in the league above. Is he perfect? No. Is he doing quite well given it's very early in his managerial career? Yes.