Simon Church (signs - confirmed) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signs - confirmed)

Oct 14, 2015
Seems we've been baying for DA to get a forward in and as its one he has previously tried to sign I for one am pleased he's finally got his man. He arrives fit and raring to go after his stint at Scunthorpe where, apparently, the boss there offered him a contract but he declined it as he wanted to play football and not be 4th in the pecking order. That'll do for me. As for Taylor ?? Well who knows and worrying about it isn't going to change a thing. Pleased with the two signings this week although everyone's thoughts remain in Ryan Edwards..

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Welwyn Pilgrim":3nijhe3j said:
Seems we've been baying for DA to get a forward in and as its one he has previously tried to sign I for one am pleased he's finally got his man. He arrives fit and raring to go after his stint at Scunthorpe where, apparently, the boss there offered him a contract but he declined it as he wanted to play football and not be 4th in the pecking order. That'll do for me. As for Taylor ?? Well who knows and worrying about it isn't going to change a thing. Pleased with the two signings this week although everyone's thoughts remain in Ryan Edwards..

Wise words WP.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I know 20 goal a season strikers donā€™t tend to be knocking around, but surely we can do better than this? His record is abysmal.

Iā€™ll be open minded, but Iā€™m not convinced on first impression that this is a worthwhile signing.

Also for the comments re: his international record, a Welsh friend on mine told me in 2012 Simon Church was the worst player ever to represent Wales. He messaged me this morning saying ā€œhahahahahahahahahahaha Argyle signed Simon Churchā€. So having 38 caps isnā€™t always as great as it may look on paper!!

Oct 24, 2010
Nobby":2usjaklf said:
I know 20 goal a season strikers donā€™t tend to be knocking around, but surely we can do better than this? His record is abysmal.

Iā€™ll be open minded, but Iā€™m not convinced on first impression that this is a worthwhile signing.

Also for the comments re: his international record, a Welsh friend on mine told me in 2012 Simon Church was the worst player ever to represent Wales. He messaged me this morning saying ā€œhahahahahahahahahahaha Argyle signed Simon Churchā€. So having 38 caps isnā€™t always as great as it may look on paper!!
Off course your friend knows more about football than Chris Coleman. I think he is a good signing and will provide excellent competition for Taylor.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
esmer":1tq951hu said:
Nobby":1tq951hu said:

Off course your friend knows more about football than Chris Coleman. I think he is a good signing and will provide excellent competition for Taylor.

Sharing an opinion from someone who has watched him far more than most of us on here I would imagine. Whole point of an opinion forum.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I know it sounds odd talking about a striker but I'm not sure why his scoring record is that important, given that we know the CF in an Adams team is more the focal point for attacks rather than the finisher of them.

Ryan Taylor's scoring record is fairly poor too, but he makes the team play better and gives a platform for the likes of Carey and Lameiras.

Church is a round peg for a round hole, unlike a Nadir Ciftci or David Goodwillie.

Nobby":1uh7yp35 said:
esmer":1uh7yp35 said:
Nobby":1uh7yp35 said:

Sharing an opinion from someone who has watched him far more than most of us on here I would imagine. Whole point of an opinion forum.

The most valid opinions will be based on how we see him on the pitch. Before that itā€™s just hearsay and speculation.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
mervyn":cav5tssu said:
Nobby":cav5tssu said:
esmer":cav5tssu said:
Nobby":cav5tssu said:

The most valid opinions will be based on how we see him on the pitch. Before that itā€™s just hearsay and speculation.

Well he is someone who has watched him on the pitch, therefore that constitutes an opinion by your own definition.

Whether he's any better for Argyle, remains to be seen based on what he does when he pulls our shirt on, which I like everyone else, hope he does very well.

Biggs":tfkaeara said:
I know it sounds odd talking about a striker but I'm not sure why his scoring record is that important, given that we know the CF in an Adams team is more the focal point for attacks rather than the finisher of them.

Ryan Taylor's scoring record is fairly poor too, but he makes the team play better and gives a platform for the likes of Carey and Lameiras.

Church is a round peg for a round hole, unlike a Nadir Ciftci or David Goodwillie.

Good point Biggs. I remember how much stick Trigger received in his early days for not scoring enough goals, yet his hold-up play , bringing others into the game was outstanding, just as I believe Taylorā€™s is.

Keepitgreen

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":iz8x06qv said:

I'm Welsh and your mate's opinion is wide of the mark.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":2mpi7whs said:
Nobby":2mpi7whs said:

I'm Welsh and your mate's opinion is wide of the mark.

Fair enough! Hope so.

Oct 24, 2013
gaspargomez":3o9ss1nu said:
He is cheap, which seems to be the main criteria for Argyle these days.

I take it you are fully briefed on his weekly wage, signing on and agent fees then? No, thought not.

Just because a player looks rubbish when they are playing in international games, it doesn't mean they'll be rubbish for Argyle. The level is a lot lower!

I'd say Wales are equivalent to a good Championship team, or maybe even bottom half prem team with Bale and Ramsey. Let's face it, most of our players would struggle at that level, but they do a job for us at L1. Church was selected 38 times for the Welsh team so he has something to offer us even if some Wales fans don't rate him.

As has been said, reserve judgement until he's played a few games.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
gaspargomez":8x3ua708 said:
He is cheap, which seems to be the main criteria for Argyle these days.

How much did you want to spend on a back up forward?