Simon Church (signs - confirmed) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signs - confirmed)

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":3jkag8va said:
gaspargomez":3jkag8va said:
He is cheap, which seems to be the main criteria for Argyle these days.

How much did you want to spend on a back up forward?

And like someone else said, who know how much he is costing. A Welsh CF who played in the Euros isn't going to come cheap.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Aaron D.":3c17owsz said:
vibratingspider":3c17owsz said:
Aaron D.":3c17owsz said:
A good player with a proven track record. Welcome Simon Church.

Looking at his 8mins of highlights on youtube, it looks like he is a player similar to Taylor, but you'll also see that he gets wide and provides crosses too so they could possibly fit in the same team? But for that to happen Lameiras would be dropped and I can't see that happening at the moment. Maybe if we're chasing a game?? A good option to have for sure.
"Proven track record"? He hasn't scored for 2 years!

Maybe you'd prefer a premiership loanee with little league experience? Or a promising non league player who is yet to prove himself? I know, how about we spend money we havent got on a championship player we cant afford? Or we get a league 2 standard squad filler?

Proven record is lots of experience in the Championship and at full international level. The reason we can afford him is because he needs to start again and prove himself. If he does this for us then we have a championship quality player on our books who provides competition to Taylor for a vital part of our team.
Whilst I love the tone you've adopted, I can't be bothered to argue. We have differing opinions, I'll be supporting him as I will the rest of the team but forgive me for wishing we'd signed a player who has averaged more than 2.5 goals a season over the last 10 years (since 2007 he has scored 25 goals in total).

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
My goodness this thread is odd. The club gets a player it has been tracking for months and suddenly he’s a bad signing because he didn’t score for Wales and looked for other options before relocating hundreds of miles to Jannerland.

Simon may well be awful, but he may be excellent and I will judge that by watching what he does now he’s here. His route to the dotted line isn’t going to win the hearts of those who love the club; but why should he put us first.

My guess is he will be more than aware that by returning to someone he shunned he’s going to have try harder than ever to shine. No only to us fans, but the players he trained with first time round.

Let’s hope he’s a legend this time next year.

As for the implications to Mr Taylor, we shall see. It may of course be that we only got Mr Church because of any Taylor money received. That extra money may have stopped our new man enjoying the Baltic by us offering him more money than Gdańsk.

Onwards

Oct 31, 2015
Good nrws this. A good back up to Taylor if we can keep Taylor. Not sure what the Polish bit was about but welcome

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Tony_Flags":ruwmkdj7 said:
My goodness this thread is odd.

Sadly it isn't odd around here. Look at nearly every thread about a player signing, they're always the same. Players always berated before even playing for us.

It's pretty much in the mould of the Taylor signs thread, except with added hostility because the sun said he was going to Poland.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
A central defender signs.... 'Bradley must be going'.

An attacking midfielder signs... 'Carey must be going'.

A striker signs... 'Taylor must be going'.

Can we PLEASE stop it?? :lol:

Jul 12, 2016
My word ,aren't some of our supporters easily pleased.The guy chose Scunthorpe over us and had all but signed for the Polish side hence we are third choice.I am completely underwhelmed and cannot believe that this is the best Adams could find. We have been looking for a decent striker for most of last season and this season yet we sign another forward incapable of scoring goals.When will he learn!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
oldage":97iqhry2 said:
My word ,aren't some of our supporters easily pleased.The guy chose Scunthorpe over us and had all but signed for the Polish side hence we are third choice.I am completely underwhelmed and cannot believe that this is the best Adams could find. We have been looking for a decent striker for most of last season and this season yet we sign another forward incapable of scoring goals.When will he learn!
All but signed for a Polish club, reportedly even passed a medical at the Polish club and then joined us instead. Second choice.

Oct 24, 2013
Biggs":225jmd2b said:
A central defender signs.... 'Bradley must be going'.

An attacking midfielder signs... 'Carey must be going'.

A striker signs... 'Taylor must be going'.

Can we PLEASE stop it?? :lol:

A grandstand gets approved; there aren’t enough seats in it!

We actively start recruiting fresh ideas at the directorship level; why do we need new ideas, what’s wrong with what we’re doing now?

Planning permission for ice rink/retail units garnering additional non match day income; we don’t need that up at Home Park, it’s just supposed to be for football.

Oct 24, 2013
oldage":l202u1zq said:

He.Hasn’t.Even.Kicked.A.Ball.For.Us.Yet.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":1z5b19aa said:

I could just repeat an earlier post I made, but he's not signed to score goals. We are top of the form table with a rarely-scoring forward in Ryan Taylor, who is the focal point of the attack and makes us play better.

Church is cut from the same cloth (no pun intended) and is a round peg for a round hole.

As for when will Derek Adams learn... I'm sure he would appreciate a lesson from you in how to set up an effective football team :thumbup:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Welcome Simon, ignore some of the comments on here, I am sure with your pedigree you will do a job for us.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Biggs":3sjeha5c said:
oldage":3sjeha5c said:

I could just repeat an earlier post I made, but he's not signed to score goals. We are top of the form table with a rarely-scoring forward in Ryan Taylor, who is the focal point of the attack and makes us play better.

Church is cut from the same cloth (no pun intended) and is a round peg for a round hole.

In fairness to Taylor, he has 1 goal in every 3 games this season which averages out at 16 for the season. Church is averaging roughly 3 goals per calendar year since he left Reading in 2013.