Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble

Apr 9, 2011
Pottypilgrim":xd8bac7x said:
He strikes me as someone that has no idea of how to address the issues. He keeps saying the same things like 'we've shown them the videos', 'we give them the gameplan' and 'we've had them out on the training ground' etc but nothing is sinking in.

The problem as I see it is that there are a lot of them that really are not bothered because they know that nothing is going to come of not doing their job and tbf to Lowe there is nothing he can do about that. The worse that may happen is that they get dropped or are not offered a new Contract. Tbh, I think its the Contract thing that is having the effect on people.

A lot of them are out of Contract at the end of the season and I actually think that they do not want to be here so they are hardly going to bust a gut, get injured and then jeopardise the move that their agent has probably already lined up for them. Game plans, watching videos and getting drilled on the training ground is not going to change a players mentality once he has made up his mind he's leaving. They are playing with the same attitude shown by the team that got us relegated last time. Many of this current crop have already moved on in their heads much like Carey, Lameiras etc had. The majority are really not bothered about Argyle and are only interested in themselves. He needs to have a massive clear out and start recruiting players that do actually care about doing their job well...use the mould that Camara, Edwards, Aimson and Ennis came from.
Very good points made re players out of contract. I was very surprised at the list published the other day of the players whose loan ends/ contracts up at the end of this season . If those said players leave for their various reasons that will be the nucleus of Lowes present squad gone & a case of starting all over again . If this continues season after season how are we ever going to get something to build on if all players are looking for are short term contracts / loans. I seem to remember Adams getting stick for the same thing , it all boils down to the fact money rules the game & player loyalty has long gone out the window

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
phil-thefluter24":fmceruj2 said:
Pottypilgrim":fmceruj2 said:
He strikes me as someone that has no idea of how to address the issues. He keeps saying the same things like 'we've shown them the videos', 'we give them the gameplan' and 'we've had them out on the training ground' etc but nothing is sinking in.

The problem as I see it is that there are a lot of them that really are not bothered because they know that nothing is going to come of not doing their job and tbf to Lowe there is nothing he can do about that. The worse that may happen is that they get dropped or are not offered a new Contract. Tbh, I think its the Contract thing that is having the effect on people.

A lot of them are out of Contract at the end of the season and I actually think that they do not want to be here so they are hardly going to bust a gut, get injured and then jeopardise the move that their agent has probably already lined up for them. Game plans, watching videos and getting drilled on the training ground is not going to change a players mentality once he has made up his mind he's leaving. They are playing with the same attitude shown by the team that got us relegated last time. Many of this current crop have already moved on in their heads much like Carey, Lameiras etc had. The majority are really not bothered about Argyle and are only interested in themselves. He needs to have a massive clear out and start recruiting players that do actually care about doing their job well...use the mould that Camara, Edwards, Aimson and Ennis came from.
Very good points made re players out of contract. I was very surprised at the list published the other day of the players whose loan ends/ contracts up at the end of this season . If those said players leave for their various reasons that will be the nucleus of Lowes present squad gone & a case of starting all over again . If this continues season after season how are we ever going to get something to build on if all players are looking for are short term contracts / loans. I seem to remember Adams getting stick for the same thing , it all boils down to the fact money rules the game & player loyalty has long gone out the window

To be honest I’d only want to keep Cooper, Edwards, Jephcott, Ennis, Hardie, Camara and Grant out of the current crop.

Mayor would be nice but not on his current wage.

G Cooper will still be with us.

Reeves, Moore, Macleod, Aimson, and the Loanees can all go.

Sep 2, 2008
phil-thefluter24":3t5ytpx7 said:
Pottypilgrim":3t5ytpx7 said:

Agree with this. There is also one other thing that I think doesn't work for us and that is most definitely the age old discussion point around our location. For whatever the reason, the better footballers are around the London/Midlands area and even though some come down here I believe that they only come down here short term so they can be 'seen' in the hope that they will get something closer to home later on. Indeed, it can be argued that Lowe is doing exactly the same. (Has he moved his family down yet?)

Its no surprise to me that we had our best successes during recent times when the team consisted of Hungarians and Frenchmen. I really believe that if we want to reach similar levels again then we really need to be recruiting players from abroad. At least that way we can be sure that they will definitely be moving to the area and be looking to stay. Having said that, I doubt the data analysis we use to decide on who to recruit will cover players abroad :roll: another good reason for not using it as far as I'm concerned.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
In answer to recruiting from the EU, since Brexit and the UK leaving the EU on 1st January, where previously, any EU player could come to England under free movement and sign for any Premier League or EFL club, from now on the league in which they are coming from will have a significant deciding factor on their eligibility for a Government Based Endorsement (GBE) to play in England.

A new points-based system has been launched which will require players to acquire a minimum 15 points on a scale of different criteria to gain a Governing Body Endorsement to play in the Premier League or EFL. This points system will apply to players if they don’t qualify for an automatic pass for a GBE. Automatic passes will be awarded based on international appearances and the number of minutes played for countries ranked in FIFA’s top 50.

The chance of Argyle signing a EU based player on this basis are now close to zero – some no more Friio, Larrieau, Halmosi, Timar or Nalis types to charm and entertain the fanbase in a push up the EFL pyramid.

With the anticipated return of a new turnover-based salary caps in the EFL, the value of English academy talent is now sure to increase, possibly by a significant margin. Youth players under 21 previously did not count towards the imposed salary cap and there is no reason to suppose this will change in the immediate future. Add this to the new Brexit regulations that will inevitably restrict the talent pool available to EFL clubs, and British academy players under 21 may now have an enhanced value.

A reason no doubt why the plan for sustainability is heavily weighted towards developing the Academy at Home Park. In addition, data analytics will rightly play a part of future recruitment to supplement the traditional scouting methods. For the coming season as we emerge from consolidation our recruitment will be the key to a push towards the upper end of League 1 – this time it just won’t include EU based players.

Oct 31, 2015
hometown5":3k2jrg6q said:
It is obvious we are in a poor form, but I don't think we are going to relagated. 'The Magic 50 pts' is close enough.

Said the 2 X seasons ago with 8 games left. Look how that panned out :banghead:

Admittedly more games left currently but the defensive issues are there to be seen and have been most of the season.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Pottypilgrim":3s9dgd6k said:

I think the opposite, with being out of contract some of them might not get as decent a contract elsewhere especially with Covid reducing wages generally across the EFL.

Sep 2, 2008
JannerinCardiff":y8amih8d said:
Pottypilgrim":y8amih8d said:

I think the opposite, with being out of contract some of them might not get as decent a contract elsewhere especially with Covid reducing wages generally across the EFL.

So you don't think that players already have their agents sniffing around other clubs at the moment? I think they do and I also think that some contracts will have already been agreed in principle. Lowe is talking to certain players about Contracts now so you can bet your bottom dollar that players are talking to other clubs already as well. A lot of these players are sitting on the fence and have one eye on their future wherever that may be and it is showing in their performance.

Apr 1, 2009
Of course those who are out of contract are assessing their options, anyone would, but why assume that all of these don't want to stay, or that all of them would get better terms elsewhere? Who are we talking about anyway? Of those who get significant game time. M Cooper, Jephcott, Camara Ennis, and Hardie (plus G Cooper) are on longer contracts. Opoku, Watts , Fornah, Lewis and Woods are loanees. That leaves only Edwards, Mayor, Aimson and Grant amongst those who play most of the time. The fact that they are here at all would suggest that they didn't get a massively better offer elsewhere last time around, so why would they now ( at a time when, as JiC says, money is short)?

There are others of course - Moore, Reeves, Macleod, McCormick - but none of them get on the field enough to be assessed as not trying, and none of them due to age and/or fitness are likely to be swamped with offers.

I just don’t buy this location problem. We’re no further from major footballing centres than Norwich, Hull, Swansea, all of whom reached the Prem, with Norwich and Swansea probably back next year.

I’m not up to date, but five years ago Devon was the most ‘moved to’ county in the UK, because people like me thought it a great place to raise a family, and most footballers have families.

RL has said several times there is a benefit in our location, with better player bonding than he’s ever experienced elsewhere.

As regards footballers being mercenary, aren’t we all? If you had a career which expired once you were over 30, surely you would squeeze the best terms out of that window. It’s just common sense.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
We are obviously not going to get relegated. A ridiculous thought to have in all honesty and being negative for the sake of it.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Until the math says otherwise i.e. Ottawa Greens table ....then Of course we could get relegated.....nobody expected us to get relegated under DA when we had such a strong run....but we were.....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
oddball":3vwfzq8a said:
Until the math says otherwise i.e. Ottawa Greens table ....then Of course we could get relegated.....nobody expected us to get relegated under DA when we had such a strong run....but we were.....

If you apply current form to the remaining games to be played, 47 points will be safe. I'm sure Argyle will pick up more than two points from 12 games. OG's page is misleading because it also says Argyle can finish top.

Sep 6, 2006
Tugboat":2rt1q60k said:
phil-thefluter24":2rt1q60k said:
Pottypilgrim":2rt1q60k said:

To be honest I’d only want to keep Cooper, Edwards, Jephcott, Ennis, Hardie, Camara and Grant out of the current crop.

Mayor would be nice but not on his current wage.

G Cooper will still be with us.

Reeves, Moore, Macleod, Aimson, and the Loanees can all go.

Your proposal looks like a recipe for relegation. Keep the misfiring forward line and get rid of our most creative player. Frightening.

Sep 6, 2006
Pottypilgrim":1lg9hpvg said:

What a load of nonsense. One moment you say Lowe doesn't know what he's doing doesn't know how to change it etc next you are suggesting players lack of effort. Make up your mind

Oct 31, 2015
Reserecting an old post.

This is now like DAs last season. Please release RL from.his contract I've had enough now

:banghead: :banghead: