Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
I just have this horrible feeling that there is still a final twist to this nightmare season... What needs to happen to make us mathematically safe?? :oops:

May 14, 2016
Steve Wooldridge":3cm6v134 said:
It will go down to final games of the season, be great to win at Gillingham.

It would be a miracle if we won at Gillingham!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
saffronwalden green":12p52g0e said:
Manager losing the dressing room is a term sometimes too glibly used, but I see similarities to the latter part of the Adams era.
Adams and Wotton lost the dressing room in spectacular fashion. Lowe and Schuey are nowhere near that point.

May 26, 2015
I can't believe the confidence of some people on this site. We are no longer sleepwalking into relegation, we are in dire freefall, with no main chute, no reserve chute and positively fighting other teams to make sure we get that final relegation spot for ourselves, because we so love the 4th division.

Make no mistake, we will lose all 3 of our remaining games, whereas we need one win, or 2 draws to be safe, which ain't going to happen. In contrast, Dale is a team in very good form and has every chance of winning each of its last 4 games, all of which are very winnable.

Please let me be wrong, but our manager and the sycophant who interviews him haven't even mentioned the word "relegation" and the real possibility of going down. What chance have we got when those in charge don't even recognise the danger we are in?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's being made out that it's between us and Rochdale to go down, it's not. Burton, Shrewsbury, Wigan and Wimbledon also have to go above us, so five teams have to overhaul us for us to be relegated.

The bookies don't even have us in the frame, Shrewsbury are 200/1 to be relegated.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
RochdaleGreen":lkgnpwg1 said:
I can't believe the confidence of some people on this site. We are no longer sleepwalking into relegation, we are in dire freefall, with no main chute, no reserve chute and positively fighting other teams to make sure we get that final relegation spot for ourselves, because we so love the 4th division.

Make no mistake, we will lose all 3 of our remaining games, whereas we need one win, or 2 draws to be safe, which ain't going to happen. In contrast, Dale is a team in very good form and has every chance of winning each of its last 4 games, all of which are very winnable.

Please let me be wrong, but our manager and the sycophant who interviews him haven't even mentioned the word "relegation" and the real possibility of going down. What chance have we got when those in charge don't even recognise the danger we are in?

Spot on.
The complacency from the players, the commentary team and many posters here is nauseating.
Just because historically our points total would normally be just enough to keep us up, there's no reason at all this season might not be an exception to that rule.

Oct 20, 2015
Mark Pedlar":1glk91o6 said:
saffronwalden green":1glk91o6 said:
Manager losing the dressing room is a term sometimes too glibly used, but I see similarities to the latter part of the Adams era.
Adams and Wotton lost the dressing room in spectacular fashion. Lowe and Schuey are nowhere near that point.

What makes you so sure? Or to put it another way, how can a team with a great bond between players and manager lose 6-0 at home?

Mark Pedlar":3cackcg1 said:
saffronwalden green":3cackcg1 said:
Really, 0-6 at home yesterday, other similar results in recent months, I dread to think what it would be like if he actually lost the dressing room.

Jun 27, 2019
RochdaleGreen":1kamyer4 said:

Eh? Last night was appalling but we were seconds away from getting a win at in-form Burton just a few days previously.

I hope I never find myself in the trenches alongside you, RochdaleGreen!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I honestly don't expect Argyle to pick up any more points this season but who knows, it wouldn't be a major surprise if we nicked the points at Oxford; but I'm not holding out much hope.

Then we have Sunderland at home, who won't help us out in the way they did Southend 2 years ago, followed by our final game at Gillingham, not the place you want Argyle to be going to if we still need a result.

Hopefully, it will all be done and dusted with Argyle safe before the last day.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Rochdale extend their winning run at Crewe on Saturday, who's recent form has been indifferent and includes them losing 0-6 at home to Oxford only 10 days ago followed by a 2-0 defeat at Wigan on Saturday last.

Wimbledon have a tough game at Ipswich before they then host Rochdale next Tuesday.

It's likely that Wimbledon will need to get a result on Tuesday night to virtually confirm their own safety, which would also make us safe.

How has it all come down to this?

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":2tqr207e said:
RochdaleGreen":2tqr207e said:

Eh? Last night was appalling but we were seconds away from getting a win at in-form Burton just a few days previously.

I hope I never find myself in the trenches alongside you, RochdaleGreen!
Well you certainly would not want to "be in the trenches"alongside any of our players!

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
If I see one more person making a comparison between now and 2019...

The furthest we were clear of the drop zone that season, at ANY stage, was 7 points. At this stage in that season, we were 2 points clear. Right now, we're 10 points clear.

Let's assume that Rochdale win all 4 games, very unlikely in itself but let's say that they do.

We then have to get 0 points, also extremely unlikely - as I've said in a previous post, even cr*p teams win sometimes.

Wigan then have to show title-winning form over their remaining games. Not impossible, but pretty damn unlikely.

And because Rochdale have won all their games, that means they've beaten Wimbledon. Meaning that the latter also have to show playoff form to catch us.

There is not a semblance of a chance that we go down. Quote this, screenshot it, whatever. This is nothing like two years ago. We have done enough already to stay up. Am I happy with this season? No. Has Lowe done a good job this season? Not really, no. Do we need to do much better next year? Course we do. But will we be in League 1 next year? Course we bloody will.