Standing | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Standing

Jan 6, 2007
Argyle Nutter":m4buz58w said:
Plymouth85Green":m4buz58w said:
Argyle Nutter":m4buz58w said:
Plymouth85Green":m4buz58w said:
Evening, I stand next to the gentleman in block in question. It’s not a complaint from another supporter as everyone who sits around us are friends and family and we have sat in these seats for the past 5 seasons.

The issue has arisen from the Liverpool game and some signs being out in place stopping my friend and the other people who sit directly behind the stone walls that houses the concourse. We have been told that we you are not allowed to stand at all behind this wall as the wall doesn’t meet H&S standards and is 30cm to short, currently the wall stands at 90cm and it’s needs to be 130cm to allow fans to stand safely. However when standing we have been simply told by the stewards to shimmy left and it wouldn’t be an issue.

Today this stance changed and the H&S Officer for the club came down to explain the situation and why we had to sit. The disagreement is that the person is question is an adult who is fully aware of the potential hazards from standing, he has been told by the H&S Officer, Stewart’s and the sign that he shouldn’t stand, but he feels the risk is minimal and wants to stand and support the boys but still is being told to sit.

The ultimatum is that he sits or the club will remove all the seats from these areas around the whole stadium and they will not be sold.... rather than put in a 30cm safety rail or have supports sign a waiver covering the clue from liability if he were to fall all of which has been suggested.
Why should all those who sit behind the walls have to suffer or be moved because one A55hole wants to stand. The club should just ban those that are not willing to abide by the rules not punish those that are happy to comply, period.

Why should people not stand to support the club when all the club need to doo is add a barrier or sign a waiver? If the club couldn’t be arsed to build the stadium to H&S regulation then that’s not the fault of my friend it’s in fact the club!
Are you for real. The reason we have H&Sregulation is to protect idiots like you & yer mate hurting them selves because you are too thick to see the dangers for yourselves.
Another tick for the H&S numpties in this country, obviously spectators are forever tumbling over low walls above concourses, I'm forever reading about it in the papers. Once this law is enforced they will need to find another regulation to justify their existence and ridiculously high wage packet. It's a wonder we didn't all kill ourselves before these numpties pointed out all the dangers surrounding us

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Mark Jenkin":3f9vsqe6 said:
Argyle Nutter":3f9vsqe6 said:
Plymouth85Green":3f9vsqe6 said:
Argyle Nutter":3f9vsqe6 said:
Plymouth85Green":3f9vsqe6 said:
Evening, I stand next to the gentleman in block in question. It’s not a complaint from another supporter as everyone who sits around us are friends and family and we have sat in these seats for the past 5 seasons.

The issue has arisen from the Liverpool game and some signs being out in place stopping my friend and the other people who sit directly behind the stone walls that houses the concourse. We have been told that we you are not allowed to stand at all behind this wall as the wall doesn’t meet H&S standards and is 30cm to short, currently the wall stands at 90cm and it’s needs to be 130cm to allow fans to stand safely. However when standing we have been simply told by the stewards to shimmy left and it wouldn’t be an issue.

Today this stance changed and the H&S Officer for the club came down to explain the situation and why we had to sit. The disagreement is that the person is question is an adult who is fully aware of the potential hazards from standing, he has been told by the H&S Officer, Stewart’s and the sign that he shouldn’t stand, but he feels the risk is minimal and wants to stand and support the boys but still is being told to sit.

The ultimatum is that he sits or the club will remove all the seats from these areas around the whole stadium and they will not be sold.... rather than put in a 30cm safety rail or have supports sign a waiver covering the clue from liability if he were to fall all of which has been suggested.
Why should all those who sit behind the walls have to suffer or be moved because one A55hole wants to stand. The club should just ban those that are not willing to abide by the rules not punish those that are happy to comply, period.

Why should people not stand to support the club when all the club need to doo is add a barrier or sign a waiver? If the club couldn’t be arsed to build the stadium to H&S regulation then that’s not the fault of my friend it’s in fact the club!
Are you for real. The reason we have H&Sregulation is to protect idiots like you & yer mate hurting them selves because you are too thick to see the dangers for yourselves.
Another tick for the H&S numpties in this country, obviously spectators are forever tumbling over low walls above concourses, I'm forever reading about it in the papers. Once this law is enforced they will need to find another regulation to justify their existence and ridiculously high wage packet. It's a wonder we didn't all kill ourselves before these numpties pointed out all the dangers surrounding us

It may be a little more about the people you might hurt around you whilst you take risks for yourself which impose risks on others who might not want to voluntarily take those risks.

Jul 29, 2010
I'll take a H&S numpty over a 'do-as-yer-likey' numpty every day, the Darwin Awards are full of examples as to why :lol:

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Simply comes down to the fact that we live in a society that has laws, and play in a league that has rules. If you don’t like the laws or the rules, then you can lobby to change them; otherwise they apply to you whilst you live under the law or play in that league that has those rules.

The law says that all top football clubs, including clubs that have been top football clubs in the past, must be all-seater with (currently) no safe standing options. That law applies to us.
The league we play in has a rule that all spectators must use the seats provided and must not stand to watch the match. If we don’t like that rule, we need to lobby to change it or move to a league that doesn’t have that rule. We want to play in the football league, and we are therefore stuck with it’s rules.

None of this is the club’s fault. The club has to follow the law and the rules that apply.

Jan 6, 2007
Southampton Green":68u0ixve said:
Simply comes down to the fact that we live in a society that has laws, and play in a league that has rules. If you don’t like the laws or the rules, then you can lobby to change them; otherwise they apply to you whilst you live under the law or play in that league that has those rules.

The law says that all top football clubs, including clubs that have been top football clubs in the past, must be all-seater with (currently) no safe standing options. That law applies to us.
The league we play in has a rule that all spectators must use the seats provided and must not stand to watch the match. If we don’t like that rule, we need to lobby to change it or move to a league that doesn’t have that rule. We want to play in the football league, and we are therefore stuck with it’s rules.

None of this is the club’s fault. The club has to follow the law and the rules that apply.
I couldn't care less about the rule, I sit in the grandstand. I'm merely pointing out the nonsense rule that a wall is a couple of inches to low, so say the H&S brigade. It's nonsense , I can stand on a bus travelling at 30 mph, I can stand on a train travelling at high speeds, quite often I have no choice if there are no seats available, I can stand by a road waiting to cross while cars whizz by. But standing in front of a wall is dangerous because it's a couple of inches lower than permitted. The worlds gone mad

Jan 6, 2007
And before you say you aren't allowed to stand in a football ground, the club allow hundreds to stand in block 3 already, as well as several others at the back of the lyndhurst

May 16, 2016
Mark Jenkin":36swqbnw said:
And before you say you aren't allowed to stand in a football ground, the club allow hundreds to stand in block 3 already, as well as several others at the back of the lyndhurst

They don't stand behind a wall above a 15ft drop though. A wall designed to allow seated supporters a clear view of the pitch in an all seated part of the ground.

The first person to fall over wont be writing to the Club to apologise for the inconvenience of the H&S investigation, they'll be straight on to the nearest no blame no claim no fee vultures they can find.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Mark Jenkin":1d67p9tp said:

That’s quite well covered in the article/report:
http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk ... s-2013.pdf
The club should not be allowing it, it’s a concession to the practicalities of the club enforcing the league rules. The league could impose sanctions for the breach of league rules that would hurt us, like ultimately forcing the club to close Block 3. Again, it’s all in the article/report.

Oct 31, 2015
Ugh H&S in the way again. Too much covered under that dull subject to fit peoples needs!!!!!!

Anyway back to the op. I stand when the game determines the need but sit for the most.

The bloke behind me was laughing today as we discussed my passion as he said he has seen half the games yhis season (whilst laughing).

I do think people should be mindfull of those behind but I would love to have standing back. Not sure my knees will take many more years of stsnding up and sitting down with my size frame on them :)

I feel for Z1R because it can spoil the game. Just wish there was a standing terrace

Jan 6, 2007
Guiri Green":kl3dy1nf said:
Mark Jenkin":kl3dy1nf said:

They don't stand behind a wall above a 15ft drop though. A wall designed to allow seated supporters a clear view of the pitch in an all seated part of the ground.

The first person to fall over wont be writing to the Club to apologise for the inconvenience of the H&S investigation, they'll be straight on to the nearest no blame no claim no fee vultures they can find.
If the wall isn't high enough then they shouldn't stand to even applaud a goal, far to unsafe. It's all nonsense!

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Mark Jenkin":o65u0q0m said:

A possible analogy might be:
The law says you can’t drive above 70mph on a motorway or you get fined.
Most people agree it’s safe to drive at 75mph on a motorway.
The police see people driving at 75mph and also think it’s safe, so don’t impose fines.
If the government wanted to it could punish the police for not upholding the law, but until they do, the police carry on letting people drive at 75mph on a motorway without stopping them.

For the 70mph speed limit substitute ‘no standing at top football grounds’
For 75mph substitute areas when people think it’s safe to stand.
For the police substitute the club.
For the government substitute the league.

That’s maybe why the club allows people to stand in Block 3 ?

Feb 28, 2016
Mark Jenkin":18tgwg06 said:
Southampton Green":18tgwg06 said:

I couldn't care less about the rule, I sit in the grandstand. I'm merely pointing out the nonsense rule that a wall is a couple of inches to low, so say the H&S brigade. It's nonsense , I can stand on a bus travelling at 30 mph, I can stand on a train travelling at high speeds, quite often I have no choice if there are no seats available, I can stand by a road waiting to cross while cars whizz by. But standing in front of a wall is dangerous because it's a couple of inches lower than permitted. The worlds gone mad

30cms in proper measurements is a foot, not a couple of inches, it will be down to your centre of gravity as to why it would be safe to stand if the bar was 12” higher. I’m all for standing and standing in block 3 seated area but I can see why this would cause for concern behind the drop down.

Jan 6, 2007
MarkMatthews":3874lv2h said:
Mark Jenkin":3874lv2h said:
Southampton Green":3874lv2h said:

30cms in proper measurements is a foot, not a couple of inches, it will be down to your centre of gravity as to why it would be safe to stand if the bar was 12” higher. I’m all for standing and standing in block 3 seated area but I can see why this would cause for concern behind the drop down.
Fair enough! In that case I hope the stewards vigilantly monitor the area above each exit tunnel and eject anyone standing at any time, including celebrating a goal (probably the most likely time to fall over a 3 foot wall), or standing to applaud a player being substituted, and also supervise when the spectators stand to leave at the end of the game. These walls are clearly a death trap.
Whilst on the subject of H&S I fell the club should indicate the bovril is likely to scold your mouth, the water was bleddy boiling, I didn't think to let it cool down a bit and now have a burnt tongue. I wonder if I could make a claim? :lol: