Standing | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Standing

Feb 28, 2016
Mark Jenkin":2d0v2ab1 said:
MarkMatthews":2d0v2ab1 said:
Mark Jenkin":2d0v2ab1 said:
Southampton Green":2d0v2ab1 said:
Simply comes down to the fact that we live in a society that has laws, and play in a league that has rules. If you don’t like the laws or the rules, then you can lobby to change them; otherwise they apply to you whilst you live under the law or play in that league that has those rules.

The law says that all top football clubs, including clubs that have been top football clubs in the past, must be all-seater with (currently) no safe standing options. That law applies to us.
The league we play in has a rule that all spectators must use the seats provided and must not stand to watch the match. If we don’t like that rule, we need to lobby to change it or move to a league that doesn’t have that rule. We want to play in the football league, and we are therefore stuck with it’s rules.

None of this is the club’s fault. The club has to follow the law and the rules that apply.
I couldn't care less about the rule, I sit in the grandstand. I'm merely pointing out the nonsense rule that a wall is a couple of inches to low, so say the H&S brigade. It's nonsense , I can stand on a bus travelling at 30 mph, I can stand on a train travelling at high speeds, quite often I have no choice if there are no seats available, I can stand by a road waiting to cross while cars whizz by. But standing in front of a wall is dangerous because it's a couple of inches lower than permitted. The worlds gone mad

30cms in proper measurements is a foot, not a couple of inches, it will be down to your centre of gravity as to why it would be safe to stand if the bar was 12” higher. I’m all for standing and standing in block 3 seated area but I can see why this would cause for concern behind the drop down.
Fair enough! In that case I hope the stewards vigilantly monitor the area above each exit tunnel and eject anyone standing at any time, including celebrating a goal (probably the most likely time to fall over a 3 foot wall), or standing to applaud a player being substituted, and also supervise when the spectators stand to leave at the end of the game. These walls are clearly a death trap.
Whilst on the subject of H&S I fell the club should indicate the bovril is likely to scold your mouth, the water was bleddy boiling, I didn't think to let it cool down a bit and now have a burnt tongue. I wonder if I could make a claim? :lol:

Probably not! ( I do appreciate your humour, and it has been a while since I brought a non alcoholic drink from Argyle) but I bet it will say on the cup/ lid of your Bovril, “Caution contents maybe hot.” The existing Law allows you to stand “for moments of excitement.” You are more likely to fall once you are complacent rather than in brief moments, a barrier below your waistline will see you more likely to topple over it, than one above. (For the record I stand on Row X of Devonport End, before that back row of the Spion Kip, before that in the unreserved block we had in the Lyndhurst, before that the BPE of the Mayflower seats and before that the Mayflower terrace itself. )So I have stood officially and unofficially for over the last 10 years, this example though is dangerous.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
PilgrimZ1R":3jgzei5m said:
Let’s hope that the new phases of HP with safe standing areas arrive soonest.

Then everyone’s a winner.

Isn't going to happen unless there's a change to the Law. Which there won't be in the foreseeable future.

pafc cobbie08

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
You can stand and drink in a stand at a premier league rugby game, but not at the football. Doesn't really make any sense to me. DW stadium - rugby you can drink and stand, football you can't.
Part of the reason I don't go to Home Park as much any more, prefer going to away games - Better atmosphere, stood up, better craic in general. That's all part of it for me, making noise and passion for your team with like minded individuals.
I would love to have all of block 3 (1,2,3 if I got my own way) as safe standing. Let's hope the trial at Shrewsbury for safe standing is a success and they can introduce it to Home Park, I'm sure many would be in favour.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
BradCobbs":yuemtr32 said:
You can stand and drink in a stand at a premier league rugby game, but not at the football. Doesn't really make any sense to me. DW stadium - rugby you can drink and stand, football you can't.

This probably has a historical reasoning: typically rugby fans are better behaved than football ones.

Part of the reason I don't go to Home Park as much any more, prefer going to away games - Better atmosphere, stood up, better craic in general. That's all part of it for me, making noise and passion for your team with like minded individuals.

Bet you're hoping we don't make it back to the Championship, otherwise you won't be going to any away games either.

I would love to have all of block 3 (1,2,3 if I got my own way) as safe standing. Let's hope the trial at Shrewsbury for safe standing is a success and they can introduce it to Home Park, I'm sure many would be in favour.

They can't introduce it at Home Park unless there is a change to the Law. How is this so hard for people to understand?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Quinny":2octwd50 said:
BradCobbs":2octwd50 said:

Bet you're hoping we don't make it back to the Championship, otherwise you won't be going to any away games either.
I've been to several Championship away games in recent seasons having not been able to make it to Argyle games and generally it's exactly the same as it is at the lower levels. Allocated seating being enforced is quite uncommon.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Why anyone would want to stand when there is a perfectly good seat available is beyond me tbh. If seated you can still sing , chant, wave your arms around as when standing, and have the added excitement of jumping to your feet as one when Argyle score.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
lilcol":2nfaknfp said:
Why anyone would want to stand when there is a perfectly good seat available is beyond me tbh. If seated you can still sing , chant, wave your arms around as when standing, and have the added excitement of jumping to your feet as one when Argyle score.
The complete lack of legroom at nearly every ground in the football league for starters. Anyone over six foot is likely to find it an uncomfortable experience sitting down.

Oct 16, 2016
Mark Jenkin":1b5lfr4u said:
Southampton Green":1b5lfr4u said:
Simply comes down to the fact that we live in a society that has laws, and play in a league that has rules. If you don’t like the laws or the rules, then you can lobby to change them; otherwise they apply to you whilst you live under the law or play in that league that has those rules.

The law says that all top football clubs, including clubs that have been top football clubs in the past, must be all-seater with (currently) no safe standing options. That law applies to us.
The league we play in has a rule that all spectators must use the seats provided and must not stand to watch the match. If we don’t like that rule, we need to lobby to change it or move to a league that doesn’t have that rule. We want to play in the football league, and we are therefore stuck with it’s rules.

None of this is the club’s fault. The club has to follow the law and the rules that apply.
I couldn't care less about the rule, I sit in the grandstand. I'm merely pointing out the nonsense rule that a wall is a couple of inches to low, so say the H&S brigade. It's nonsense , I can stand on a bus travelling at 30 mph, I can stand on a train travelling at high speeds, quite often I have no choice if there are no seats available, I can stand by a road waiting to cross while cars whizz by. But standing in front of a wall is dangerous because it's a couple of inches lower than permitted. The worlds gone mad

It’s not a H&S law, it’s a building regulation.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Argy1e":xff42q6k said:
Quinny":xff42q6k said:
BradCobbs":xff42q6k said:

I've been to several Championship away games in recent seasons having not been able to make it to Argyle games and generally it's exactly the same as it is at the lower levels. Allocated seating being enforced is quite uncommon.

That's not my point. My point is that clubs in the Championship (after 3 seasons, but pretty much all of them are now) have to be all-seaters. If BradCobbs doesn't like HP because he's supposed to sit, he'll find the same rules applied in the top two flights.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Shankster":2rsqaxg4 said:
Mark Jenkin":2rsqaxg4 said:
Southampton Green":2rsqaxg4 said:

It’s not a H&S law, it’s a building regulation.

Part of a club's safety certification. A club which fails to comply with it's safety certificate in terms of standing in all-seaters can see parts of the stands closed.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Quinny":1wtcezlj said:
Argy1e":1wtcezlj said:
Quinny":1wtcezlj said:
BradCobbs":1wtcezlj said:

That's not my point. My point is that clubs in the Championship (after 3 seasons, but pretty much all of them are now) have to be all-seaters. If BradCobbs doesn't like HP because he's supposed to sit, he'll find the same rules applied in the top two flights.

Home Park is supposed to be all seater but the club choose not to enforce this.

So when people go away they expect the same but not all clubs are so accommodating.

At Anfield the leg room was so poor there was no option but to stand.

Apr 3, 2010
David_Fisher":342ooiy3 said:
Quinny":342ooiy3 said:
Argy1e":342ooiy3 said:
Quinny":342ooiy3 said:
BradCobbs":342ooiy3 said:

Home Park is supposed to be all seater but the club choose not to enforce this.

So when people go away they expect the same but not all clubs are so accommodating.

At Anfield the leg room was so poor there was no option but to stand.

Don’t agree with the anfield statement, people were always going to stand at anfield because of the magnitude of the game. Same at Wembley there was a big section behind the goal that stood from practically the front all game. The Wembley stewards barely even tried to make anyone sit down.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
David_Fisher":j4coxkwh said:

That is a failing of the fan, not of the club, if the club decides to adhere to the rules more stringently than at Home Park.

pafc cobbie08

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
Quinny":3gby113a said:
BradCobbs":3gby113a said:

This probably has a historical reasoning: typically rugby fans are better behaved than football ones.

They can't introduce it at Home Park unless there is a change to the Law. How is this so hard for people to understand?

Talks of the new White Hart Lane having safe standing. Shrewsbury plan to have it by the end of the season.

Being in the Championship will make no difference to how many away games I'll attend.