Sunderland V Argyle match thread. 7pm KO | Page 24 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunderland V Argyle match thread. 7pm KO

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":b42l0091 said:
Agree with Owly there.

Sunderland or Watford?

West Brom or Nottingham Forest?

Form is temporary class is permanent.

Interesting comparisons there Ian. Not many would argue that Sunderland are a much bigger club than Watford, but West Brom v Forest is much closer. West Brom have had more seasons in the top flight, but a league title, two European cups, two league cups and a European super cup within living memory make Forest the bigger club. Two similar sized clubs with similar support base in most other respects.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I had a West Brom supporting MD a few years back, we had this debate in a Bristol pub and I asked about 30 blokes that night and about 28 of them said Forest.

Poor old Paul, he had a right hump on. :lol:

I thought it was tighter but it goes to show what 2 European Cups means to fans.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":3089zc50 said:
I had a West Brom supporting MD a few years back, we had this debate in a Bristol pub and I asked about 30 blokes that night and about 28 of them said Forest.

Poor old Paul, he had a right hump on. :lol:

I thought it was tighter but it goes to show what 2 European Cups means to fans.

Everybody banged on about Leicester's achievement in winning the title, but for me Clough's Forest were amazing. Won the league title straight off promotion and then two European cups on the bounce, in the days when only the title winners of each country qualified. Absolutely incredible achievement and their fans must find it tough these days!

Nov 2, 2004
Very different eras, back then Villa, Derby and Forest won it, that couldn’t happen in this era. Leicester’s title was equally remarkable.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
WoodsyGreen":39oy94rm said:
West Brom are probably the most pointless club in world football.

And what is the rationale behind that seeping statement?
They are a club which has been run prudently by its' directors. They have not spent mega bucks on players they cannot afford or attempt to cope with their unreasonable wage demands. They do not have a ground capacity to equal the likes of ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea to enhance turnover, but they have nevertheless not gone into administration, nor liquidation. They might be struggling presently, but I do not consider they deserve the description you apparently honour them with

Jun 27, 2019
Devongreenowl":3uhatiwh said:
WoodsyGreen":3uhatiwh said:

Why’s that?
I did always like the I do like to be beside the seaside chant though.

They're just so mediocre. They never seem to play good football and are always yo-yoing between the top two divisions without ever doing anything in the Prem or having cup runs.

I'd rather be an Argyle fan.

Jun 27, 2019
Quintrell_Green":21zy67o5 said:
WoodsyGreen":21zy67o5 said:

And what is the rationale behind that seeping statement?
They are a club which has been run prudently by its' directors. They have not spent mega bucks on players they cannot afford or attempt to cope with their unreasonable wage demands. They do not have a ground capacity to equal the likes of ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea to enhance turnover, but they have nevertheless not gone into administration, nor liquidation. They might be struggling presently, but I do not consider they deserve the description you apparently honour them with

We've all got clubs we like and dislike and they're the latter for me. Some are obvious, like Exeter and Wycombe, and others a bit less rational.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
WoodsyGreen":1l6f66yp said:
Devongreenowl":1l6f66yp said:
WoodsyGreen":1l6f66yp said:

Why’s that?
I did always like the I do like to be beside the seaside chant though.

They're just so mediocre. They never seem to play good football and are always yo-yoing between the top two divisions without ever doing anything in the Prem or having cup runs.

I'd rather be an Argyle fan.

Who are always yo-yoing between L1 and L2. Come on Woodsy!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Wonderful ground, a proper club with real history AND they won the cup.

I wish Argyle could/would emulate them.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":7csziows said:
IJN":7csziows said:

And they have Frank Skinner as a celebrity fan. Not Josh Widdecombe. :funny:

I'll see your Frank Skinner and raise you an Adrian Chiles!!

Pointless club? Whilst we see Salford and MKD at HP?? :think:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":2stczcxf said:
Devongreenowl":2stczcxf said:
IJN":2stczcxf said:

And they have Frank Skinner as a celebrity fan. Not Josh Widdecombe. :funny:

I'll see your Frank Skinner and raise you an Adrian Chiles!!

Pointless club? Whilst we see Salford and MKD at HP?? :think:

Crikey Pogles, you cant mention Adrian Chiles in the same sentence as the legend Frank Skinner :lol:
Sadly, I’ve never actually been to the Hawthorns, although I remember my dad driving us past it in the 60’s on the way down to Cornwall on holiday, probably having got lost trying to get through Brum. In those days you had to go straight through it! Funny how at age 10 I would get excited at the sight of any football ground enroute. Loved seeing the old style floodlights. Ashton Gate was another ground we would always pass. Never did pass Argyle obviously as it was always the old A30. Took another ten years before I even knew anything about Argyle, reacquainting myself with Jim Furnell who I had seen play at Millmoor a few times. Happy days.