Sunderland | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunderland

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Sunderland were bound to sell their allocation! It's warmer down here! Holidays!! ;)

May 16, 2016
JannerinCardiff":2s739ncd said:
Rush Goalie":2s739ncd said:
Ah, the old argument of blaming the fanbase for us being crap. Argyle’s support is magnificent for a club which has never won anything of note in its entire history. People rightly laud Pompey’s support but does anyone really think they would have that base without league titles, FA Cups, European football and time recently in the Premier League?

If Argyle ever made the Premier League we would have lift-off and create a new generation of fans at twice the size of the pool now. The same fans complaining about the Janner mentality then would be complaining about plastics.

Totally agree, if we made it to the prem I’m sure we’d get 25,000 - 30,000 for home games- our Wembley appearances show that there are numbers there.

Our Wembley appearances show there's 15,000 - 25,000 ish who currently cant be arsed. Nobody blames the Fanbase for our current level of crapness, that's generally outside of their control. For those that can remember, our last stint in the Championship was initially well supported by our standards, but, once the novelty wore off and the realisation that we were no longer one of the big fish had set in, people dissapeared.

One of the things Argyle Fans get off on is the fact we take large numbers to the smaller Clubs, being well supported Home and away compared to the Burtons, Cities and AFC Wimbledons of the World is great because we can laud it over the minnows. The journey up is better than the destination, I remember the post prior to getting back into the Championship warning us to enjoy it because that was 'as good as it gets' , the guy said how we would then be the new boys trying to swim in a very much deeper pond and our little 'Big Club' would suddenly seem less overwhelming to just about everyone else. Once that realisation set in, as was said, the novelty wore off.

No doubt a prolonged stint in the Championship and toe dipping into the Premier would generate the next batch of younger diehards, but it needs to happen in the next few years or there's going to be some serious cash flow issues.

On the issue of Sunderland, if the Home support can turn up in increased numbers for this Seasons novelty act despite us being so bad, why not turn up for the other blood and snotters games, when genuine vocal, heart felt support probably will make a difference ?

Jan 6, 2004
We are a lower division club who gets pretty good but not spectacular attendances for our position. Like most clubs, get to the Premier League and we will attract 30,000 for every game and some of those will subsequently stay when we get relegated although over the years gradually drift away. That is it, bog standard I am afraid.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
It always annoys me when people sneer at supporters for picking and choosing which games to go to. If you only get a few Saturdays off work a year, or don't have the spare cash for a season ticket, are you going to pick Sunderland or Fleetwood for your precious home game? It's a nonsense argument. We'd all go to every game if we could, but plenty of long-standing, committed, "proper" Argyle fans can't for one reason or another. You'd be daft not to choose a game where there will be loads of away fans and a team that used to be in the top-flight until recently.

As for the argument that 15,000 supporters have "disappeared" since Wembley - I'd suggest that most of them haven't. They just all pick the 2/5/10/15/whatever games they can get to each season. Of course they'll move heaven and earth to get to Wembley, but sometimes real life comes before a home game against Gillingham on a Tuesday in November.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
To be fair watching parkway on a Saturday is more entertaining than Argyle right now. Arguably better quality on show too.

You can’t blame people for giving a home game a miss right now. It’s a chore putting yourself through that every home game.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Quintrell_Green":5mep3wvj said:
Pogleswoody":5mep3wvj said:
oddball":5mep3wvj said:
quite right IJN janners do love watching big teams and there aint any bigger than Sunderland in this division. It will be a full house at HP regardless of whether we are bottom of the league or what...Food for thought ...

Won't be a full house. I've got a ST and I'm away!!

I am sure Mrs Pogles would love to attend in your absence :lol:

Maybe she thinks I'm going? ;)

(I'm not because I'm a good boy tbh!)
We'll see I'm up country with Private Pogle and the little Poglettes so it depends when I get back. I'm not driving like a maniac to see us get well turned over!! :facepalm:

I'm sorry but all this 'good supporters go to every game' 'good supporters just support the team whatever' was fine for my first 40 odd years watching Argyle but I'm in my 54th season of attending now and the 'loyalty' just gets harder as you get older and tireder (is that a word?)
You might not like it, deride me all you like, but I have always been a 'good supporter'.

I remember a conversation with Dan Macauley where he mentioned his 'investment', I said well great but, over the years, I've probably put in a higher proportion of my income/savings then you ever will of yours and … I'll never get any back!! :lol:

Jan 10, 2006
Shanghai
IJN":2cksoc2j said:
Oh it'll be packed for that one, let's face it, us Janners love watching 'big teams'.

That’s true. Shame we have to wait for big teams to drop down through the divisions rather than playing them every week through our own merit!

Aug 10, 2006
Spark":1fwz4m6w said:
IJN":1fwz4m6w said:
Oh it'll be packed for that one, let's face it, us Janners love watching 'big teams'.

That’s true. Shame we have to wait for big teams to drop down through the divisions rather than playing them every week through our own merit!
there not BIG at the moment are they there in the 3rd division and i remember when we did play them in the old second division and they were so BIG they brought 300 down.

Jul 12, 2016
Pogleswoody, I can relate to what you say having supported Argyle for a similar amount of time.Was a time when missing an home game was not an option now I book holidays etc regardless.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Bermudian Green":3m22ykmq said:
briangreen":3m22ykmq said:
JannerinCardiff":3m22ykmq said:
Sunderland are massive. They have a turnover over 10 times bigger than the average L1 team.

And yet they're in league 1....

And I'd put money on both them and us leaving L1 at the same time.

Go on then BG ….. you need to hit us with the punchline!! Babababoom, I'm here all week! :lol:

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
The 30k we can attract at Wembley includes the exiled support who go to support the team in all reaches of the UK and for the prime games from even the other side of the world.

Our average at the moment is above the gates of the eighties and early nineties as we progressed up and down the leagues at various times.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
PAFC Norfolk":2vfzo6sl said:
The 30k we can attract at Wembley includes the exiled support who go to support the team in all reaches of the UK and for the prime games from even the other side of the world.

Our average at the moment is above the gates of the eighties and early nineties as we progressed up and down the leagues at various times.

And it would have included a significant number of people who have no interest at all in Argyle and went along with their mate for a day in the capital. I know at least 5 people who had never seen us before and won’t ever again (until we play at Wembley again maybe).

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Guiri Green":1kt8xjht said:
On the issue of Sunderland, if the Home support can turn up in increased numbers for this Seasons novelty act despite us being so bad, why not turn up for the other blood and snotters games, when genuine vocal, heart felt support probably will make a difference ?

The impressionable few on whom guilt trip marketing will work are no doubt already there, GG.

Not sure how hearts might genuinely long for more Adams football though, were the impossible to occur and more folk turn up willingly to suffer the lesser games.