Sunderland | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunderland

Sep 3, 2009
briangreen":3f1g2r41 said:
JannerinCardiff":3f1g2r41 said:
Sunderland are massive. They have a turnover over 10 times bigger than the average L1 team.

And yet they're in league 1....

But won't be for long...and when they get back to the Championship, they will see it as a staging post for the Premier League.

May 16, 2016
Rush Goalie":2h3tenah said:
briangreen":2h3tenah said:
JannerinCardiff":2h3tenah said:
Sunderland are massive. They have a turnover over 10 times bigger than the average L1 team.

And yet they're in league 1....

But won't be for long...and when they get back to the Championship, they will see it as a staging post for the Premier League.

They probably thought that last time !

May 16, 2016
Gary_Wills":1y5jpy9g said:
Guiri Green":1y5jpy9g said:
On the issue of Sunderland, if the Home support can turn up in increased numbers for this Seasons novelty act despite us being so bad, why not turn up for the other blood and snotters games, when genuine vocal, heart felt support probably will make a difference ?

The impressionable few on whom guilt trip marketing will work are no doubt already there, GG.

Not sure how hearts might genuinely long for more Adams football though, were the impossible to occur and more folk turn up willingly to suffer the lesser games.

If only the Lower Leagues were full of Giants.....

Jan 6, 2004
What do we think current capacity is? 12,500 before deductions I believe - lose a few hundred for the media gantry so around 12,200? As there seems to be no segregation zone, we should have a 12k plus crowd anyway.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I wish some people, both on here and social media, would stop talking about Sunderland as if we should be in awe of them. Yes it will be good to see a decent away following, but I'm only 22 and I remember us playing them fairly regularly in the championship, there's nothing special about this fixture, it's just another League 1 game.

Cobi Budge":10e81c75 said:
I wish some people, both on here and social media, would stop talking about Sunderland as if we should be in awe of them. Yes it will be good to see a decent away following, but I'm only 22 and I remember us playing them fairly regularly in the championship, there's nothing special about this fixture, it's just another League 1 game.

100% agree.

Oct 14, 2015
It is just another league 1 game I agree but I’d be lying if I didn’t instantly look at the dates we were playing Sunderland, Pompey and Bristol Rovers at home. Not because I’m in awe of any of them but you have to love games which generate a great atmosphere and large away following does just that..

Apr 15, 2008
London
Cobi Budge":2x2kzbnc said:

Yeah, they have been a bad team for as long as I can remember - bit of a basket case club. Being terrible in the Premier League for a few seasons does not make them an attraction up there with Barcelona or PSV.

May 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":1ajdzjl9 said:

99% agree. Regardless, as I've said before, they are this seasons novelty act. They're not (from the little I've seen and read) up their own arses like their near neighbours and certainly show Pompey how a fall from grace should be handled with respect to the interaction with the rest of the leagues following.

Interstingly, when we were both in the Championship, I noticed their crowds varied by as much as 50% over the Season, whereas ours despite being in one of our other struggles, remained fairly consistent. This Season I think Sunderland are getting amazing crowds. Remain in L1 next Season and it will be interesting to see if that changes.

Aug 5, 2016
Bermudian Green":2h9sbxq6 said:
mercedes":2h9sbxq6 said:
I see that, according to various websites, that Lee Cattermole is still on £40,000 per week!

Well if they can do it, why the hell can't we???? We're in the same division!!! (etc, etc, etc. Grrrrrrrr :furious: :furious: )

Our average attendance being below 30,000+ might be a minor stumbling block!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Cobi Budge":15grgr5q said:

Unfortunately Cobi Sunderland are the big team in this league by a mile.. they had a staff budget in excess of 80 million going on last years accounts.

With resources like that it really is David and Goliath, with the financial advantage they got over the rest of league 1. They were trying to sign Defoe at the start of thus season..!