The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why? | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
May 8, 2011
with-menace":3cw1xjd0 said:
Maybe I’m one of the few in the dark here but until we know mr Brents total net personal loss or profit during his chairmanship I’m a bit puzzled as to how anyone can be either fanatically pro or anti? Maybe one of those who’re obviously in the know can enlighten me?
I know mr McCauley spent a large sum from his personal fortune but didn’t seem to be awfully popular.

There are relatively few who like to portray themselves as fanatically anti Brent, they do it to be the centre of attention on social media, else why would someone who claims not to have been at Home Park since 2012, post hundreds if not thousands of posts on Facebook each day?
I am not aware on anyone who is fanatically pro Brent, most Argyle fans are probably like me who take the view they see no reasons why Brent shouldn’t be the Chairman as the facts show the steady improvement at the Club during his Chairmanship. Perhaps the biggest endorsement of his Chairmanship is not from a few making comments on social media but from the extra thousands that are now turning up at Home Park since 2011.
Unfortunately the ‘anti’ people assume anyone not anti must be ‘pro’ and will then abuse them on social media, because apparently we are all gullible janners.

Mar 14, 2009
Haven’t we been here before? In the sense that we think James Brent has good intentions but nobody really knows what the end game is until it happens.

Personally, l like what he says and what he has done for the club.

However, l remember the Stapleton years. Lots of fans on here debating and then mostly arguing.

Now people will say Stapleton was a fan of the club. His heart was in the right place. However, in my eyes if you really love something you take good care of it. It felt to me as soon as he had a chance of chasing the larger pound sign the love & care for this football club was not his most important priority.

Now, just like then, this thing is going to rumble on for years until Brent passes control onwards. What is his end game? How will he achieve it? We can guess and surmise until we are all blue in the face but nobody knows.

People who were close to Stapleton got it wrong. Year after year progress was championed but all underdone in half that time. I don’t think they could of expected what was to follow.

Now, l dare say too there are people that are close to Brent who are Argyle fans. Have nothing but good things to say. Yet until the plan unfolds you can never be certain to take people at face value.

Unfortunately, we live in a cynical world where you would love to believe everyone and everything they told you because it was true. I reiterated again, up to this point I think Brent has done a great job from adminstration to our present position. Yet only time will time if he is in for this mainly for money or for wanting to build this club up again whilst making a healthy return on his investments to do with pafc.

At the end of the day Stapleton and Brent were businessmen. It’s about making money. Let’s not be fooled that it isn’t. However, with Brent you get the impression that he won’t make the wrong decisions for this football club even if it benefits him financially.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If you were a successful businessman, wanting to maximise your wealth, would you take on a football club ‘on it’s last legs’?
I don’t know James Brent’s reasons for taking on PAFC but I am very happy that he did.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
davie nine":rigqxt4m said:
If you were a successful businessman, wanting to maximise your wealth, would you take on a football club ‘on it’s last legs’?
I don’t know James Brent’s reasons for taking on PAFC but I am very happy that he did.

Depends on what your expertise were.

If you were in the trade of buying struggling business’s in the attempt of salvaging them for a profit then yes.

I’m not saying that’s what Brent is doing. He seems to be in it for the longer haul but that’s basically what he’s done so far. Obviously there will be a financial reward for him somewhere in his tenure and rightly so.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
It’s naive to think he didn’t get into it thinking their was money to be made. He wouldn’t have otherwise. Highe Home Park car park was most definitely in his thinking.

It’s weather you think that’s acceptable.

Personally I have no problem with it as it came with a clear benefit to Argyle at the time.

Others do. These are probably the more moderate ‘anti’ group so to speak.

Then there are those who do, and have a personal dislike of Ian more than anything else. These are the noisy obsessed few who come across as a bit mental.

I’d hazard a guess they’d dislike Brent a little less if IJN wasn’t close to him.

May 16, 2016
Stuart House":2ssgrn4y said:
It’s naive to think he didn’t get into it thinking their was money to be made. He wouldn’t have otherwise. Highe Home Park car park was most definitely in his thinking.

It’s weather you think that’s acceptable.

Personally I have no problem with it as it came with a clear benefit to Argyle at the time.

Others do. These are probably the more moderate ‘anti’ group so to speak.

Then there are those who do, and have a personal dislike of Ian more than anything else. These are the noisy obsessed few who come across as a bit mental.

I’d hazard a guess they’d dislike Brent a little less if IJN wasn’t close to him.

It's the daily reminder of the personal dislikes that shines through and blinds their arguments. Its difficult to take anyone seriously when everything they say comes with some derogatory comments, personal dig and little avatar thingy.

I get the impression that some people would rather everything fails to the detriment of the 1000s' that do attend just to get 'one over' or end a 7 year revenge quest against a handful of individuals.

More village like than those they accuse of the same thing.

Aug 13, 2011
Not sure. James Brent is still a relative novice in terms of football chairmanship. No major gripe. Would like to see more gate money put up for players capable of getting us in the Championship especially seeing gate receipts will take a tumble this season. But I'm not moaning. Adams is certainly a good manager. He is capable of getting us up in the next 2 years. All's good. Ground about to be completed. Team resurgent in the main. Need a few key players still but on the right path if status quo maintained at managerial levels and best players kept here. .

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Richard Allan":304f33zm said:
with-menace":304f33zm said:
Maybe I’m one of the few in the dark here but until we know mr Brents total net personal loss or profit during his chairmanship I’m a bit puzzled as to how anyone can be either fanatically pro or anti? Maybe one of those who’re obviously in the know can enlighten me?
I know mr McCauley spent a large sum from his personal fortune but didn’t seem to be awfully popular.

If shouldn’t matter if he made a personal loss or gain on the club?

Club has a wage structure, club is sustainable, improved year on year. Finances are published. Fan / management meetings are regular (but often poorly attended)

Can only assume there is a little bit of jealousy somewhere ...?

I read it that way too. I would however make the point that it is not an easy step going into ownership of a League club expecting it to be a profit making step. The owner is heavily reliant on the manager in situ and a group of players, whom he has not selected. When the wheel of on-field success turns against his owner, his/her only remedy is either to lash out money on more players and try to off load existing non-performers. This is not an easy task, when money is short. Lastly, the sole remaining remedy is to change the manager, probably somebody who has been sacked before at another club, or somebody completely inexperienced in the role. We can only look at the likes of Stoke and Swansea this season, to see how little impact the owner had on trying to retain their particular League status. You need to be a brave man to be Club owner and be prepared to 'lose one's shirt' rather than reap any profit.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Stuart House":37b99lkm said:

o

A 'bit' mental? They are truly out of their trees. Some are overstepping the mark and at long last the police are taking it seriously.

As for your last comment, I'd also suggest vice versa as well, but who the hell is anyone to tell someone who they should and shouldn't be friends with.

The word 'jealousy' deals with it, those that hate (not too strong a word) me and those that say they don't, but give people the daily conduit to spout their hate. Green denotes their nature not only their alleged football allegiance.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
A bit mental is probably an understatement for a few of them, and it most definitely is jealousy.

No one can deny it’s not personal though, and not particularly against JB.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not against JB? One chap wrote 'would you trust this man with your children'? You're talking with forked , tongue Mr House.

Only last week another idiot accused JB of taking money out of the Grandstand money and spending it on the nice rink? Not personal?

If you're going to debate, at least do so truthfully.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
You’re missing the point. I’m saying they wouldnt attack JB that personally if they didn’t have a personal grudge against you and others.

And I’m not saying who you should or shouldn’t be friends with. That’s the jealously aspect.

Just don’t deny that’s a big contributing factor.

If you’re going to debate at least do it honestly.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm saying you're wrong, totally wrong.

I saw the anti JB thing start, it was based on his 'CV' nothing more.

The 6 or 7 total nutters might, but the orchestrated ones, some of the objectors to the planning, no matter what planning, are driven by their politics, their hang ups and their bias.