THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play. | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, we totally should have.

We all went along with the corporate branded Argyle vibe that was around at the time.

Especially when we saw what Bristol City fans did the year after us when they went up as Champions.

Jan 27, 2012
When Paul Sturrock’s Argyle team hit 7 past Chesterfield it marked the high point at which everything clicked together and was working perfectly. That team was unstoppable for a while- it would have been hard to beat in the Championship, let alone League One. The chemistry was just right.

Dec 30, 2011
IJN":i0icod3a said:
For me, it's easy, the 3-0 away win in our memorable League Cup run in the 70's.

They were top of the top tier, they put a full team out and we crushed them. Their fans couldn't believe it as they had beaten Man Utd 5-0 on the Saturday, and then up we come, 3rd tier and humiliate them in their own back yard.

Walshy outshone Stan Bowles that day. :scarf:

Yours...................? (No fannying around, you can't have two, it has to be THE one :greensmile: )

Got to be one of our best ever results.

Dec 30, 2011
Somebody has probably already mentioned these, but

The 1969 ? 6-0 win over Torquay on Boxing Day with Mike Bickle getting 4,

The 1969 2 -1 win over Swindon the week after they'd beaten Arsenal in the league cup final. Argyle formed a guard of honour for Swindon as they came onto the field, who I believe had the cup displayed on the pitch. Clearly recall Bickle scoring after being set up from an indirect free-kick on the 6 yard line with the entire Swindon team squashed along the goal line. Please bring back the indirect free-kick!

The 3 - 1 win over Torquay with Hughie Reed tearing them apart and then scoring with a flying header (despite being the shortest player in the league)

The 1975 4 - 3 Boxing Day win over Swindon after being 1 - 3 down in the Waiters promotion year.

The 3 -1 play-off win over Colchester when Williams scored in the last minute was fantastic.

The 4 - 4 New Years Day Kevin Hodges-inspired draw with Cardiff in torrential rain after we were 2 - 4 down. That was the Dave Smith promotion year.

The 2 - 0 win over QPR to clinch the title.

I shall stop there before I think of 6 more!

Dec 30, 2011
Special mention for the 4 - 0 win over division 2 Portsmouth in the league cup the year we got to the semis. We'd been struggling in the league and were written off by Westward TV before the match. Waiters brought in Mariner, Rogers and Johnson to form a four man attack alongside Steve Davey. Machin was captain and we played them off the park.

Dec 30, 2011
Sparkypete":2zhzdfez said:
Just remembered 73/74 Blackburn 2-1 night game 28000 on a school night, what an atmosphere. Sorry couldn’t resist the second post !

What an atmosphere there was that night with a delayed kick-off to get 29,000 into Home Park for a division 3 match.

Dec 30, 2011
pafcprogs said:
the 74/5 home win v Palace in the cup with the Furnell penalty save after Whittle did a 5.9 triple lutz with pike to mix my sporting metaphors.

Palace were flying at the time with Peter Taylor, Alan Whittle, Terry Venables and Allan Evans in the team. I recall Allison in the stands deliberately stirring things up before the kick-off by holding up 5 fingers tp indicate a 5 -0 win. That Whittle dive still gets my goat, but has there ever been a more satisfying last minute penalty save though.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
greensalt":rer5k03u said:
Special mention for the 4 - 0 win over division 2 Portsmouth in the league cup the year we got to the semis. We'd been struggling in the league and were written off by Westward TV before the match. Waiters brought in Mariner, Rogers and Johnson to form a four man attack alongside Steve Davey. Machin was captain and we played them off the park.

That game hardly ever gets talked about but we could easily have won that 8-0 that night.

I can remember there was a whole lot of trouble near Bobby's Garden that night as well. They never learn do they?

Dec 30, 2011
saxman":1mky9adw said:
I'd always go for Leeds away in the FA cup in 1973, it was the Leeds (minus Bremner and Gray who I think were injured) but including all the other assassins in white. Ernie Machin dominated midfield and when Rickard sneaked in to head home.......we never really looked like losing, but of course history shows we did. :scarf:

Ernie Machin has to be one of the best ever players to play for us.