THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play.

May 22, 2011
Totnes
Many games in my list but as an excited 12 year old Boxing Day 1969 was one I didn't stop going on about for quite a while. Argyle 6, Torquay 0.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Much as I would have loved to have seen the 3-0 at QPR and I still believe there is some grainy footage somewhere of the Internet of that evening if it has to be a fixture I attended then either the 74/5 home win v Palace in the cup with the Furnell penalty save after Whittle did a 5.9 triple lutz with pike to mix my sporting metaphors.

The other would also be an Allison game , the 5-1 away win at Pompey around 78 when he stunned everyone by deploying Gary Megson as a sweeper and we played Pompey off the park.

Now that was a night to enjoy....

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Personally, the 2-1 home win v Luton in 2001 when only one side of the ground was open and Evans was sent off. Friio getting the winner. Just knew it would be a special season. Magic atmosphere

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
One that I particularly remember and enjoyed was the 3-0 win away at Nottingham Forest in the Championship. We played a 4-3-3 formation with David Norris and Akos Buzsacky cutting in diagonally from the flanks and we absolutely tore Forest apart. I remember when the third goal went in after maybe 60-70 minutes literally half of the home fans got up and left. One fan walked to the dugouts and threw down his season ticket. It was fantastic to watch. Also Forest had Wes Morgan playing at the back and he was a slow, lumbering error-prone lump of a player so it was always fun to see him floundering. Now, everytime I watch Leicester and he is involved I can’t help but state how remarkable it is that he went on to captain a premier league winning side. It just goes to show.

Sep 6, 2006
The 3.1. play off win V Colchester 1996 was as good as any for atmosphere, drama and sheer relief when the 3rd goal went in. Great goal as well with the dividing header by Williams- a full back!

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
The best 45 minutes by far was when we were 2-0 down at half time against Man City in the late 80s.
Tynan, Smith and stretch Evans each scored in the second half to turn the tables. I remember Summerfield being absolutely unplayable in that second half!!!

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
The Doctor":wa2tbu9d said:
One that I particularly remember and enjoyed was the 3-0 win away at Nottingham Forest in the Championship. We played a 4-3-3 formation with David Norris and Akos Buzsacky cutting in diagonally from the flanks and we absolutely tore Forest apart. I remember when the third goal went in after maybe 60-70 minutes literally half of the home fans got up and left. One fan walked to the dugouts and threw down his season ticket. It was fantastic to watch. Also Forest had Wes Morgan playing at the back and he was a slow, lumbering error-prone lump of a player so it was always fun to see him floundering. Now, everytime I watch Leicester and he is involved I can’t help but state how remarkable it is that he went on to captain a premier league winning side. It just goes to show.

Yes I remember this well too. It was another great performance on a great ground. Blackstock scored 2 and one thing I remember was the home fans were in a tier above us and they threw objects and spat when it went 3-0 before an exodus.

Sep 3, 2009
third earl of jean":2tg44py2 said:
Voice_of_Reason":2tg44py2 said:
Hilsborough 2003.

Magical night - evening game at an iconic ground, amazing turnout from the Green Army and the realisation that yes - we were the real deal and promotion was a formality if we kept our key players fit.

Friio, Trigger, Cocko and the much maligned Steve Adams were all superb that night, the spine of team was set, we looked way too good for League 1. Only a late consolation stopped it from being the complete performance. How it made me smile that when we got back into the car and tuned into the local radio - the first three callers i heard all said the same thing - we played the winners of the league tonight - a truly magical feeling coming away from an Argyle away victory and having complete faith in the manager, the goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield and the forwards. No doubting the formation, the commitment or talent of anyone involved. I dont ever remember that feeling before or since!
Great shout, what a night that was. We'd just put 5 past Port Vale on their patch the previous Saturday as well if I remember rightly. What a performance and what a season that was.

Which, I think, has to be mine.

After seeing Argyle lose away from home so much over the years, including at Port Vale on more than one occasion, it was a revelation to see us take a side apart so easily on their own turf.

It also included that goal from Friio, which, like the Hargreaves one at Reading in the FA Cup, you just knew was going in as soon as it left his foot. I was right behind the goal.

Happy days.

Sep 3, 2009
up_the_line":34e1qal9 said:
That Hillsborough game takes some beating. We were outrageously good and it was bouncing in our end that night.

Some of the performances in Holloway's spell were fantastic too.. Sunderland away 3-2 was an epic

That Sunderland game was fun. I was up there with 2 Sunderland fans, one of whom was commentating on it for local radio. We went out in Newcastle in the evening and the Geordies were loving it that we had turned Sunderland over.

A rare Chadwick winner - I was there for another at Reading in 2005 (although that one went in off his arse). Another great day out....

Jul 18, 2011
I was also going to say the 3-0 at Forest, we never looked like conceding.

But I will go for the 8-1 at Hartlepool, despite the game being irrelevant due to Port Vale winning. That Shelton team was consistently the best team as not only were we difficult to beat, but we played brilliant football.

Jul 6, 2005
Abbotts Ann Green":34xcqxjh said:
I was also going to say the 3-0 at Forest, we never looked like conceding.

But I will go for the 8-1 at Hartlepool, despite the game being irrelevant due to Port Vale winning. That Shelton team was consistently the best team as not only were we difficult to beat, but we played brilliant football.
... apart from a couple of crucial games that cost us, i. e. at home to Cardiff near the end of the season and of course, at home to Burnley.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We blew that season at Brighton (Goldstone Ground) we were 1-0 up, ref gave a very dodgy penalty (I almost ran on the pitch as I was next to a open gate) and then Dikov (on loan from Arsenal) scored on the 90th minute. :facepalm:

Jul 6, 2005
I was also at that Forest game. It was a great win which went a long way to making us safe and sending them down.

Gary Megson was getting slaughtered by the Forest fans and the injured Friio was watching from the stand as his old team put it across his new one.

When we eventually got back to the car after watching the last hour of cricket down the road at Trent Bridge whilst the traffic cleared, the very first caller on 606 that night was a Forest fan bitterly complaining that it was 25 years to the day that they had beaten the mighty Ajax to reach the European Cup Final and now they had just lost 3-0 at home in a relegation 6-pointer to a team from Cornwall with Ginseng on their shirts!

Jul 6, 2005
IJN":10wdzjcx said:
We blew that season at Brighton (Goldstone Ground) we were 1-0 up, ref gave a very dodgy penalty (I almost ran on the pitch as I was next to a open gate) and then Dikov (on loan from Arsenal) scored on the 90th minute. :facepalm:
We really should have gone up that season, all of the pieces were in place for us to kick on again.

We all know the disastrous consequences of that blown promotion bid and although we will never know, I sometimes wonder how far the Club might have gone if we had been promoted.