THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I'd always go for Leeds away in the FA cup in 1973, it was the Leeds (minus Bremner and Gray who I think were injured) but including all the other assassins in white. Ernie Machin dominated midfield and when Rickard sneaked in to head home.......we never really looked like losing, but of course history shows we did. :scarf:

Jul 3, 2013
I would have to back to the 2011/2012 season when we played Bradford City home. Not the best game in the world but walking away from the ground was satisfying, you just knew from that point on that we had a great chance of staying in the Football League. If we had not won that day then who knows where we would be.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Chesterfield January 2004 at HP. We were unstoppable that day. Those first 18 minutes were dizzy.

I remember the guy next to me turning to me when we got a corner in the last minute. It was 6-0. He said "I've seen 6, but never 7." I replied jokingly "Friio will head this in for his hat-trick." Lo and behold...

Aug 8, 2013
Several of the games already mentioned are right up there, but I'd
go for the 2-1 win at Birmingham, League Cup quarter final 1974, after
the QPR game (which I couldn't go to).

In the middle of the Winter of Discontent, the game was played on a
Wednesday afternoon. Dad took a day off work and surprisingly let me
take a day off school, so with a friend of his and a friend of mine we travelled
up on the train.

Sat behind the goal where Alan Welsh equalized and Steve Davey scored
"the goal that beat the cameras", we were ecstatic; much to the annoyance
of some very stroppy Brummies who'd thought they were nailed on for the semi-final.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Mine will always be the 2-1 win at Millwall in 1967.....we had only got two away points that season up to then.
They had not been beaten at home in the league for 59 games.
Going to that game was like going to your own execution....not the slightest chance of avoiding an humiliating afternoon at the Den.
Left in total shock....Millwall hooligans searching for green and white scarves....the team coach going back to Plymouth on a freezing evening with smashed windows ....me in my car not celebrating until I got to Blackheath.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
The Doctor":2lawvor0 said:
One that I particularly remember and enjoyed was the 3-0 win away at Nottingham Forest in the Championship. We played a 4-3-3 formation with David Norris and Akos Buzsacky cutting in diagonally from the flanks and we absolutely tore Forest apart. I remember when the third goal went in after maybe 60-70 minutes literally half of the home fans got up and left. One fan walked to the dugouts and threw down his season ticket. It was fantastic to watch. Also Forest had Wes Morgan playing at the back and he was a slow, lumbering error-prone lump of a player so it was always fun to see him floundering. Now, everytime I watch Leicester and he is involved I can’t help but state how remarkable it is that he went on to captain a premier league winning side. It just goes to show.

I think that was the time Sir Gordon of Sparkes said, "If that player (Morgan) ever plays again" or something like that,i'll wear an Exeter shirt down Royal Parade,and he did.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Princerock":uugk6a0z said:
Mine will always be the 2-1 win at Millwall in 1967.....we had only got two away points that season up to then.
Going to that game was like going to your own execution....not the slightest chance of avoiding an humiliating afternoon at the Den.
Left in total shock....Millwall hooligans searching for green and white scarves....the team coach going back to Plymouth on a freezing evening with smashed windows ....me in my car not celebrating until I got to Blackheath.

A memorable vistory - but the bovver boots imprinted on my calfs and shins did take the edge of it ! I wouldný say we were actually brilliant, although we won.

I started watching Argyle in 1983 so my choices start then. The Forest 3-0 game is up there, as is the 4-0 against Bristol City and the 2-0 against QPR.

However, I'll actually go for a defeat. We played so well in the FA Cup semi final against Watford and were so unlucky to lose. We went toe to toe with them and any neutral from another country would've wondered which team was in the 1st Division. We gave such a good account of ourselves and were a whisker away from the FA Cup final, every football loving fans dream at that time.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Dreamgreen":19h4ii6z said:
Princerock":19h4ii6z said:

A memorable vistory - but the bovver boots imprinted on my calfs and shins did take the edge of it ! I wouldný say we were actually brilliant, although we won.

The one and only time I can remember being truly terrified at a match!

Jan 20, 2004
1984 Cup run

5th round away to WBA (1:0 win). Johny Giles had just been unvailed as their new manager and saviour.

We played them off the park. We looked like the Divison 1. Supurb.

Great day on the train too...! When the football specials used to take you straight to the nearest station.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Aaron D.":2rokg0id said:
I started watching Argyle in 1983 so my choices start then. The Forest 3-0 game is up there, as is the 4-0 against Bristol City and the 2-0 against QPR.

However, I'll actually go for a defeat. We played so well in the FA Cup semi final against Watford and were so unlucky to lose. We went toe to toe with them and any neutral from another country would've wondered which team was in the 1st Division. We gave such a good account of ourselves and were a whisker away from the FA Cup final, every football loving fans dream at that time.

Good choice that, my second one.

Dunkeld Green

✅ Evergreen
Jan 4, 2006
Inver, Dunkeld
As many have quoted the match against Sheffield Wednesday in 2003 really was special, but then the more you read further posts you think yes that was fantastic match as well and then the next and on and on. But the match witch also sticks in my mind was Blackpool away around the same time as Sheffield Wednesday when Blackpool were rebuilding their ground.
The whole weekend all you could see was a swarm of green and white and then came match day that temporary terrace how did it not collapse.......scaffold planks with must have been more than 12-1500 Argyle bouncing the whole match.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think some people are getting confused between the best game and the best atmosphere. It doesn't have to be the same thing.

When the top of the top tier is played off the park with the full squad, you can see why I regard this game as the greatest I've ever seen.

Best atmosphere at Home Park?

1) v Colchester at Home Park 3-1 Play Off Semi.
2) Bristol City 4-0 Promotion decider.
3) QPR 2-0 Championship decider.
4) Pompey 1-0 Hartley's header.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
As a 16 year old at a school near Reading, our 3-1 dismantling of the Royals in 1994 is hard to beat.

Brilliant atmosphere, great goals and a superb team.

We went top the following Tuesday, though after that..... :facepalm: .

Lots of notable others of course but that's probably top for me personally. Just ahead of that 2nd leg vs Colchester.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
IJN":38cmo0bo said:
I think some people are getting confused between the best game and the best atmosphere. It doesn't have to be the same thing.

When the top of the top tier is played off the park with the full squad, you can see why I regard this game as the greatest I've ever seen.

Best atmosphere at Home Park?

1) v Colchester at Home Park 3-1 Play Off Semi.
2) Bristol City 4-0 Promotion decider.
3) QPR 2-0 Championship decider.
4) Pompey 1-0 Hartley's header.

QPR was brilliant but even all these years later, I still wish we had poured onto the pitch at full time... :sad: