THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The 3 nil at QPR the best performance I have witnessed. The 4 nil promotion clincher v Bristol City probably my most exciting Home Park evening.

Jul 12, 2004
Hillsborough for me as well. If I remembered it correctly the division was much tighter and we hit the top with quite a low average points per game. Someone mentioned the previous 5-1 at Port Vale. This provided a humorous moment when the Argyle supporters from a stranded coach, after an accident on the M6, arrived to the chants of 4-0 up already.

As someone mentioned Steve Adams got the stick in those days - he was actually my favourite player in that team.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
The 1974 game at QPR for me too. All these years later I still remember it vividly and really not believing what I was seeing. A top team playing their top players on their ground and outplayed by us in all departments. Those were the days my friend!

Neath Green

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
✅ Evergreen
♣️ SWAG Member
Jan 21, 2007
Neath

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was at that one too. I can remember all of the ground (apart from us) chanting 'Boscombe Boscombe' as they staged their mini revival. Then Mariner did what he did.

I attended the season before as well, that was the last game of the season from memory, played in boiling hot weather and was the most turgid 0-0 draw I'd ever seen.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
I'm not sure about the best but the one match that stands out in my mind, for incidents if nothing else, is a game from 84 or 85 - Argyle 6 Preston 4.
I remember the weather was awful and by the 2nd half it was a mud bath. Argyle came back from 3-1 down to lead 4-3 and then 5-4. I remember Tommy Booth the ex Man City centre-half getting sent off and all the North End players chasing the ref, who then sought refuge behind the photographer's behind the goal. It was a crazy end-to-end match in every respect - even one of the corner flags broke in half after someone slid into it. Shame there was only 4-5 thousand there to see it.
Also I think Tommy English came on and scored from the spot, but I might be wrong there the Pen could have been Tynan.

Nov 16, 2008
United Kingdom
This might seem a bit of a strange one, but the game that has lasted longest in my memory is beating Blackburn 2-1 on a February night in 75. It wasn't just the performance (Blackburn were top) but the whole package. Nearly 29000 rammed into Home Park for an evening match in the third division was incredible, the atmosphere, the noise was amazing. I remember the buzz among the thousands trooping over central park afterwards. It really felt on that night we had a team, a manager and a fan base that could finally take us to the top.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Winchelsea Green":2nsf7k5d said:
The 1-0 at Pompey (Summerfield) when they were top of the league made me most happy, but the 5-1 there in 1979 was probably a better performance. Both are quite a long time ago tbh....

Ahh, that 5 v 1 at Farton, that brings back a great memory. Fred Binney´s goal tapped in on the line when their goalie slipped. One of the most memorable goals I ever saw.

Nov 2, 2004
Bit of a toss up between that qpr game and the fa cup wins at West Brom and Derby. I will go for the Derby game it was a fantastic night and almost got us to Wembley. The motorway on the way home was all green.