The game you wish you had not been to! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The game you wish you had not been to!

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Mark58":1ymzg6gd said:
December '85. Elm Park, Reading. We were 3-0 up in the second half and lost 4-3. I was so shell shocked that I left just before the end (I'd never done that before or since). As a result I missed Gordon Nisbett being sent off in the last minute. I still have the occasional nightmare. :sad:

Yep, still hurts!
As does the irony that I’ve still to meet amongst all of the “nouveau riche” “lovely luxurious Mad Stad” mob, a single current Reading supporter who ever went to Elm Park!

Talking of Hoops, against the other “blue & white hoops lot” Boxing Day 1967 anyone? I forget how good or bad we were, as I only remember one incident.....that diving, cheating, smirking, winking barsteward Marsh Grrrr!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester away in the FA Cup in 78-79.
We'd never lost to a non-league team, and were feeling confident.
Missed a sitter in the first minute, then stank the place out for the next 89.
Watching the Worcester fans celebrate was very hard...

One more was the 0-5 away to Oxford the week before the FA Cup semi-final.
Made a last minute decision to go, and very soon wished I hadn't.
The team appeared to have other things on their mind that day...

Random one but Charlton away a couple of seasons back. We were on a good run and had around 3k supporters that day but the players didn’t turn up. Also my 13 day old son had been up ill all night (and me with him) so I was exhausted and mind was naturally at home.

Jun 7, 2006
Has to be last season's drubbing at the hands of Accrington. Had everything stand open to the elements in dreadful weather conditions, effectively relegated the club. Then we returned to the hotel where the Accrington players were having their end of season party.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
There are many games I wish I hadn’t seen because Argyle were so terrible, Wembley 2016 for example.

But for a really bad game of football, look no further than Argyle v Millwall 2005. It ended 0-0 and both teams were lucky to score that many! Awful, awful game.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
HC Green":9sqleq4b said:
1993, at Home Park losing 3-0 to Exeter, far worse than the 4-0 this season.

That's the one I was going to mention.

Aug 4, 2011
smithy1902":2iris7hb said:
Is it too obvious (for people in my generation) to say Blackburn '92 and Burnley '94?

Beyond those end-of-days showdowns, making the effort to get out of London to Vicarage Park in '10 and watch an inept Watford beat an even worse Argyle was also a Saturday I won't get back.
Was at all 3 of those, the Burnley game has to top it though. After doing the hard work away, there was an expectation level about the home game.
I think with the Blackburn game, we didn’t expect a result as they were going up to the Premiership.

Feb 22, 2008
Lake District
Wango":19dk3otw said:
Has to be last season's drubbing at the hands of Accrington. Had everything stand open to the elements in dreadful weather conditions, effectively relegated the club. Then we returned to the hotel where the Accrington players were having their end of season party.

This for me. Worst performance by Argyle I’ve seen, specially as goal difference was so crucial.
Weird team selection by Adams that day. Think Sarce played out of position on the wing. Carey got so much stick that day.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Blackburn at home - the Speedie relegation one !
Reading - the nightmare of Elm Park
Wrexham in the cup - on MotD
Extreta this season
Macclesfield away (2000) - lost 4 v 1. My (ex) wife's birthday. We were having a party that night. I agreed to leave at half time to get back for it. So from the New Forest to Macc for 45 minutes of footie. Would it be worth it ? I think we were three nil down at half time when I left. An Argyle supporter shouted "f-in part time supporter" at me as I walked out. It still hurts !

That Accrington game was awful last season.

A 4-0 thumping at Bury a few seasons before around Easter which doomed our promotion push.

Wembley loss to Wimbledon.

Losing at Dagenham in the FA Cup at their place on TV when they were still a non-league side.

Around 2011, getting thumped 0-5 at home to Swindon in the FA Cup.

Sure there are plenty of horror stories though. Interesting that no one has mentioned getting relegated at Burnley in 1998. I spent my entire student grant for the term getting there. Even worse, connecting at Preston, the train was full of Bristol City fans who'd seen their side promoted. They took pity on Jim and I and gave us a beer each.

M

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
Swindon away Dec 27 1977 !! Lost 3-1 but was stood in the exposed away end in freezing wind and I swear that is the coldest I have ever been in my life !!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Going to watch the F A Cup match at home, where Argyle were beaten by non-League Stourbridge F C , when their part-time striker played a blinder. I wondered where are Argyle were going to end up after that.