The game you wish you had not been to! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The game you wish you had not been to!

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Cobi Budge":2aum3hnx said:
York 2 Argyle 0 (2013).

May seem a random one to some but it sticks in my mind as being perhaps the most inept Argyle performance I've ever witnessed, against a very poor York side who had just been 16 games without winning. I think it was made even worse because we'd beaten Exeter at home a couple of days before and it served as a huge anticlimax.

I was at that one too. We didn’t get a kick.

I seem to remember them giving us an absolute hiding at HP about a year later too.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Macclesfield away in 1999/2000.

Under Kevin Hodges' management a 4-1 defeat for a play off chasing side. From memory, three down in about 25 minutes plus an eventual red card for us.

Had the embarrassment of going to game with a Macc supporter who I worked with at time. Their ground was very basic then but we were torn apart by them and our play off hopes never recovered. Of course early in the following season, Kevin Hodges was dismissed and Luggy took over and brought us some unforgettable memories.

Aug 27, 2019
Going to feature home & away against same team same year.....

Was living in Manchester & we were at City, late August 1987?. Was with several Argyle mates & 'under cover' a few City fans that I was working alongside in Manchester at the time. had been stoking the fire for some time before the game.....Rambo - Gerry McIlhinney to some - had a nightmare & at one point one of my Green mates screamed - ' Rambo - break his f.... legs!' after he had been skinned again. Unfortunately one of Manc's finest was behind us & thought it was me & took some persuading it wasn't. We lost2-1 & frankly we were fortunate....
To end it, as we left Maine Road, home fans out first & formed a tunnel either side of the walkway & threw bricks at us as we left. If there is any justice it was that the 'shouter' got a half brick & the 12 stitches in a head wound......Manc police told us we had 'been asking for it'!

Five(?) months later (Jan ?), & all 11 of us at Home Park.....this time again in the away end & if memory serves me right we went 2 down. 7 of us inconsolable & facing a very long trip home. However believe we turned it on & won 3-2 to make it the best & shortest trip back to manc land....

Been back in Devon 23 years now but that will always be the best home run I have ever done.

It's true that when you support what many elsewhere believe to be a small & provincial team, it is always immensely satisfying to put one over your work colleagues!!

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
See - I would exclude the Wembley visit and any subpar performance against Exeter, Portsmouth, Gas etc because these are the types of games which most fans do not even complete missing. I refer to the below where I distinctly remember exiting the grounds at full time (or half time in one case) and thinking ‘why did I genuinely bother?’:

1. Hartlepool (3-1) in 2015. Tiny away following. Cold. Hartlepool hadn’t won in about 14 games.
2. Luton (5-1) in 2019. Left after 25 minutes and was at least back in Plymouth in time to catch the National Express back to St Austell.
3. Southend (1-0) 2014. This was the first game of the season but absolutely the worst game of football I have ever watched. Andre Blackman, ffs.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Luckily I was on holiday when we lost at Wembley.
The 4-0 thrashing at Exeter is the only time I've left a game early in over 45 years of watching Argyle.
When it got to 4 I didn't want to see any more - a sad day.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Toss up between Stourbridge away in the cup with Argyle fans so frustrated they started on each other, and Newport away a few years ago on Boxing Day where it absolutely hammered down and we got beat. Really should have been at home with a glass of Port in front of the fire. Utterly miserable experience