The game you wish you had not been to! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The game you wish you had not been to!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Gary S":3g6dins9 said:
Worcester away in the FA Cup in 78-79.
We'd never lost to a non-league team, and were feeling confident.
Missed a sitter in the first minute, then stank the place out for the next 89.
Watching the Worcester fans celebrate was very hard...

One more was the 0-5 away to Oxford the week before the FA Cup semi-final.
Made a last minute decision to go, and very soon wished I hadn't.
The team appeared to have other things on their mind that day...

I forgot that one. Worcester north exit, ground in a residential area, big Mal manager I think and signed a midfielder or two from Palace who weren't very good that day. We were all behind one of the goals and as you say our first loss to a non league team.

How’s this for a missed game. My youngest son, then living in Vienna, had a ticket for arguably the.best Champions League final ever, Man U v Bayern Munich at Barcelona. Two days before the match his new Swedish girl friend (who became his partner) announced thaton the day of the match she had two tickets for a sleeper train to Rome, and was he available. What would you have done? Love won the day.

ng

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 21, 2011
Nuneaton
A few that spring to mind randomly.

A FA cup replay at Dagenham , late 90’s, we were awful. All I cam remember is the broken back wall of the terrace and clambering out of the ground.
Port Vale a couple of seasons back, Adams watching from the stands. Chadwick smacks someone in the mouth, start if second half. We got thumped.
Doncaster away last year, during the run in. 3-0 down after half hour. That’s when I knew we were going down.
Cambridge away around 1993, when I promised my then fiancée a nice pub dinner, prior to the football, on a Tuesday night. Of course we arrived late and watched an inept Argyle slip to an ignominious defeat. It was freezing. She still married me though. :D

C

Cult Of Personality

Stourbridge away. Walked away from that game so down i did not want to go Argyle anymore for what was like 2 hours on the journey back... Woke up next day and was like i cant give it up ever

May 22, 2006
Quintrell_Green":2qm5pjfc said:
Going to watch the F A Cup match at home, where Argyle were beaten by non-League Stourbridge F C , when their part-time striker played a blinder. I wondered where are Argyle were going to end up after that.

Home game was 3-3. Having scrambled a draw we lost 2-0 in the replay. Probably the low point in over 50 years watching Argyle.

Also Hodges last game in charge. Think we were 3-0 down at half time at Cheltenham. Final score was maybe 5-2 but we had all seen enough.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Burnley A 1994

Stourbridge A whenever it was

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Watford away 2010.

It was only a 1-0 defeat and we were well on the way to relegation but the abject performances of the players was soul destroying watching as a fan. They were on very good Championship wages but just didn't give a toss and gave up.

Bradley Wright-Phillips produced the most disgraceful performance I've ever seen from an Argyle player and Damien Johnson and Kenny Cooper were not far behind. It's etched in my memory and I wish I had never seen it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oxford last season as well.

They were bad, really bad but we were far far worse.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
PL2 3DQ":374onimd said:
Watford away 2010.

It was only a 1-0 defeat and we were well on the way to relegation but the abject performances of the players was soul destroying watching as a fan. They were on very good Championship wages but just didn't give a toss and gave up.

Bradley Wright-Phillips produced the most disgraceful performance I've ever seen from an Argyle player and Damien Johnson and Kenny Cooper were not far behind. It's etched in my memory and I wish I had never seen it.

Oh yes I forgot that one. Damian Johnson gave THE worst, hopeless, inept and couldn'tcare less attitude from any player I've seen in almost sixty years of watching Argyle. (Thanks for reminding me :mad: )

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Bayern binning it in Barcelona was funny, worse bottle job than Liverpool in 89.

The Accrington away game last year was tough, you could just see no one out there for whatever reason was giving away near 80% let alone 100. There’ll always be some failed loanee experiments, always be talent-restricted team members like a Branston or a Rob Williams, or ones whose legs have long gone like a Fox or a Ryan Taylor; but that lack of effort end of last year was quite a sickener.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Oxford 2 - 0 Argyle. 13/10/2018

This was the worst game of football I've ever seen at a 'professional' level.
Both sides were truly terrible. Made even worse by Mackie and Nelson scoring.

Chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at the end from large sections of the 1285 strong away end.

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
I remember the Oxford game. Bloody awful in a stadium that looked 3 parts finished. Did enjoy the pre drinks in the sports bar in the complex opposite. Then there was Blackpool last season. 2-0 and you ****** it up! How many times did I hear that shouted in my face! Little did we know how crucial the outcome was to last year's campaign. Still, on the upside, we now have a super manager and club to be proud of.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
In most recent times it has to be Wembley.
So disappointing that our 'best' team never turned up. From the moment I got there it just didn't feel 'right'.

Great day out at the Stadium, great weekend away with Mrs Pogle visiting family too. Stayed right next to the stadium the night before, left our car at Little Miss Pogle's so, all was fine, except for an embarrassing 90 minute interval! :facepalm:
Every time I get Mrs Pogle close to a ST, they do something like that!

Biggest 'shudder' is , of course, Reading away 4-3. Forever afterwards the family cry when things appeared to be going too well was: 'Remember Reading!!'.

But, as a football fan, I can't say that I wish I hadn't been there (it would have happened anyway?). It was a truly remarkable match. And, as a midfield player who (usually) tried to compete, it was an object lesson in what one player with 'attitude' can achieve (Kevin Bremner was it? Came on as sub?). A remarkable performance from him, practically grabbed his team mates by the backs of their shirts and threw them into tackles. Never seen a more influential appearance by a player. Broke my heart but glad that I was there!! :clap:

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Pogles, Agreed ! An awesome ( over-used word, but not in this case!) display by Kevin Bremner.

I experienced an amusing postscript to that, at the FA cup match at Slough in Nov 1995....
.......At half time when my 3 y-o son, sitting in an aisle seat, moved onto my lap his seat was suddenly occupied by a Gillingham “scout”.....yes indeed the man Kevin Bremner himself.....good company actually & took well all the stick I gave him.....of course he did ‘cos the “last laugh was his” 9 years later & he of course remembered the day all too well ...with pleasure!
I’d love to say “Barsteward” but of course couldn’t...his was, as you say, a stunning one-man “pick- the team-up” a terrific performance that deserves respect......barsteward !