Torquay v Argyle | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay v Argyle

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
ASB is the one for me, he has the attributes to be a very very good player at this level, he has pace, for this level a very good first touch, awareness, solid with both feet. However, every game i saw last season and it appears the start of this, i was screaming at him to run with the ball. Commit players, use his pace, he seems absolutely terrified to run at players.

In a 3-5-2 system, your full backs/wing backs will see alot of the ball and they have to be prepared to carry it and run at players, if not the system shuts down and becomes pretty easy to defend against. Until he is prepared to be brave and attack players, he wont get much game time.

Mar 14, 2009
NickSS":1hybebs6 said:
Player Ratings: Torquay 3 Plymouth Argyle 1

Sarcevic - 4
We've been beating around the bush slightly with this since Lowe came in, but let's be blunt. Sarcevic does not possess the skills to play in central midfield under him. His passing is not good enough, he doesn't come to receive the ball often enough or well enough. He's best working off the play of others who are good at that, like he did with Carey and Lameiras.

Smith-Brown - 3
From the very start of the match, Smith-Brown really struggled in the left-wing back position. The difference in style and performance between ASB and Riley was huge. Whenever the former received the ball, he half-heartedly jogged towards the opposition full-back, then cut back inside and passed it backwards.

I guess itā€™s about opinions.

ASB l do agree with. He just didnā€™t make enough of a impact going forward. I do believe he needs more time to adapt to learn the role.

As for Sarcevic l must of been watching a different game. For example, in the opening mins it was him that did Argyles best work. He made a delightful turn, and driving run from deep. Then played a through ball just a little too far. He made another of these type of runs in the first half. He also got ā€œinvolvedā€. He did fade as the match wore on but isnā€™t this what pre-season is about? There were much more areas to worry about that Sarcevicā€™s performance.

Jul 12, 2016
But,I repeat ,who is going to sign any of these inferior players who are all contracted ? They may as well stay put?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Iā€™m sorry to be simplistic but some of this Ā£500k from Ladapo (plus the rumoured further Ā£500k from the Gallagher sale) NEEDS to be invested into two new centre backs. I echo the sentiment that we should be offering some money for Jamie Reid too. If either Sawyer or Wootton start at CB at Crewe then itā€™ll be a total disaster.

Canā€™t understand the sarcevic criticism. He was committed, energetic, produced our best tackling back when we lost the ball, and generally had good link-up play. I was watching from the Torquay home supporters popular side, where he played most of the first half.

Jul 3, 2013
Not really sure why people are even trying to make anything of last night, if lucky only 3 of those that played will feature regular, Sarcevic being one of them!
A full strength Torquay team who looked like they were playing in about 3rd/4th gear playing against a team thrown together and I showed, the new keeper did not even know the players names and was calling some out by number and some by shirt name.

Sarcevic and Edwards will be the only ones from last night nailed on for starting come Crewe, expect Canavan, Smith Brown and Grant to be sniffing around

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
mervyn":3dz2xn7g said:
Canā€™t understand the sarcevic criticism. He was committed, energetic, produced our best tackling back when we lost the ball, and generally had good link-up play. I was watching from the Torquay home supporters popular side, where he played most of the first half.

Wasn't Lowe a teammate of Sarcevic? If so, the criticism and pointing out his 'faults' will be wasted. If he has played with him and has not shown any signs of pointing him to the highway, then I expect him to start. Will expect him to perform too, knowing what he can do.
Sarcevic should be great in League 2 tbh! :scarf:

Jan 27, 2012
The defence was the single biggest problem last year as the attacking options were excellent. It seems to me that the current Argyle defenders are either too slow or have poor positional sense. Playing together as a unit they are a complete shambles.

If there are any clubs who want Canavan, Wooton, Smith-Brown, Moore or Riley then Argyle should bite their hand off. But I think Argyle are probably stuck with them for the time being.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
gaspargomez":fyw7vdfu said:
The defence was the single biggest problem last year as the attacking options were excellent. It seems to me that the current Argyle defenders are either too slow or have poor positional sense. Playing together as a unit they are a complete shambles.

If there are any clubs who want Canavan, Wooton, Smith-Brown, Moore or Riley then Argyle should bite their hand off. But I think Argyle are probably stuck with them for the time being.

In the current set-up Riley, Moore and Smith-Brown are no longer defenders, in the Parkway and Torquay games they were very advanced and at times were further forward than the strikers. To be fair Moore and Riley played well against Torquay.
We don't have much competition at centre-back so Canavan and Wootton will have to adjust to the new system.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":2gx8tr8s said:
gaspargomez":2gx8tr8s said:

In the current set-up Riley, Moore and Smith-Brown are no longer defenders, in the Parkway and Torquay games they were very advanced and at times were further forward than the strikers. To be fair Moore and Riley played well against Torquay.
We don't have much competition at centre-back so Canavan and Wootton will have to adjust to the new system.

Moore never was a defender. Not sure he's even a footballer.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Balham_Green":2u41mnz1 said:
PL2 3DQ":2u41mnz1 said:
gaspargomez":2u41mnz1 said:

Moore never was a defender. Not sure he's even a footballer.

Harsh.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Lessons Learned: Truro, Parkway and Torquay

What seems to have escaped the attention of many is that weā€™ve not even got close to seeing something that resembles Plymouth Argyleā€™s strongest team. Half of the game-time in goal has been taken up by Jordan Holmes, who appears to have been unsuccessful in his efforts to win a contract.

Will Aimson, who will no doubt be a starter under Lowe, wonā€™t be fit until the start of the season. Mayor played a half against Truro and a half against Parkway. Ditto for Ryan Taylor. Dominic Telford managed fifteen minutes against Parkway. Callum McFadzean, almost guaranteed to start at Crewe, has played only half-an-hour against Torquay.

May 7, 2019
I was at Plainmoor last night and this is the first chance I've had to post a few feelings on the match.So here's my tuppence worth.

Firstly, TUFC was not prepared for the Green Army IMO. Don't get many away fans in the National League South unless Plainmoor happens to be the home stadium for Truro and you're playing Truro away! Having said that, I had a great time and I hope that Torquay get back in the league ASAP. On the basis of what I saw, they have a very good chance of doing so. Gary Johnson is the perfect manager for them.

My overall feeling is that Torquay had the look of a team who has a settled system and players that are very familiar with one another. Argyle were clearly struggling to get to grips with their new system and, at times, the slow build-up from the goalkeeper through the back three to Edwards and beyond was painful. Torquay pressed right up to Argyle's back three and I question the ability of some of the current CBs to pass incisively to allow the system to work. Having said that, when the system worked, our wing-backs were often able to find space in behind the TQ defence and it was just the final ball that was missing. Moore looked more comfortable as a WB. Riley looked OK to me. ASB is a very frustrating player - I really like him as a player but he may never fulfill his potential. For me, the best WB on the night was McFadzean - he looked really sharp when he came on - skillful and pacey.

As has been said elsewhere, I don't understand the negative comments re: Sarcevic. His powerful running in the midfield was one of the highlights of the first-half for me and helped Argyle to link the build-up out of defence to the strikers. He looks like he needs to improve his fitness granted, and did fade in the second half. But surely that's what the pre-season is designed to achieve? Edwards looked like a very tidy player. The youngsters performed well on the whole. I think the two young keepers are fine at League Two level and should push each other for a first-team place. Expect a mistake here and there but great athleticism and shot-stopping ability. They commanded their area pretty well.

Lolos looks like a young player who is ready for his chance in the first-team squad. I think he would be a great asset coming off the bench to inject some energy and directness to Argyle's attacks. I'm sure he will be 3rd or 4th in the pecking order (at least) but would like to see him in Trophy games in the least. Great finish. No other strikers really caught my eye. Would have been interesting to see Taylor out there. Telford needs the ball to feet and that is where the WBs need to be better at providing the final ball when they do get in behind the defence. Joel Grant did not have a good game but I think he is a good squad player at League Two level and will score some important goals this season.

Mayor was badly missed and I think that he is going to shoulder an immense responsibility on this showing in travelling with the ball to provide a link from back to front, as Sarcevic was able to do on a few occasions.

Aimson would have made a difference to the back three - I am told he has very good pace. If that is the case, then we need to sign a no-nonsense, aggressive CB to complement the other two. Someone who dominates the crosses and set-pieces and who is tenacious in breaking up open attacks - Coughlan style. So I agree with other comments that we need another CB, another striker, and perhaps another CM if possible.

Overall, I enjoyed my evening in the English Riviera. Would be nice to draw TQ in an early round of the FA Cup so we can show their fans how Argyle will have evolved under RL. I have faith that this new team will be exciting and will play an attractive brand of football not seen at Home Park in years. There are going to be goals, goals, goals... at both ends!

COYG :scarf:

Mar 14, 2009
NickSS":yc445fbv said:
Lessons Learned: Truro, Parkway and Torquay

What seems to have escaped the attention of many is that weā€™ve not even got close to seeing something that resembles Plymouth Argyleā€™s strongest team. Half of the game-time in goal has been taken up by Jordan Holmes, who appears to have been unsuccessful in his efforts to win a contract.

Will Aimson, who will no doubt be a starter under Lowe, wonā€™t be fit until the start of the season. Mayor played a half against Truro and a half against Parkway. Ditto for Ryan Taylor. Dominic Telford managed fifteen minutes against Parkway. Callum McFadzean, almost guaranteed to start at Crewe, has played only half-an-hour against Torquay.

Iā€™m slightly confused by the article.

I understand Nicky Adams played wing back for a Bury but actually thought Riley did well at Torquay. He got in one great cross at the by-line in the first half that springs to mind straight away. Thought he was a great option.

I agree ASB wasnā€™t effective at all in this system at Wing Back though from what l saw.

The strange thing about this article is Joel Grant playing at Right Wing back. For a start he is left footed and played for Argyle on the left side of midfield. At Right Wing back he would forever need to keep cutting in on his left. Maybe it was a mis-print and the really mean left Wing back. Which makes more sense.

The article suggests we need wingers in these roles. Perhaps we do. However the problem is we have Riley, Moore and ASB. Unless we going to pay them off or send them out on loan, which l doubt we will, it means we gonna have to use them.

This l feel is one reason why Loweā€™s system will need time as we need to find out if these players can produce good delivery from out wide.