Torquay v Argyle | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay v Argyle

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
chunkymonkey78":268lvahc said:
Gary Johnson has Torquay playing a decent brand of football, they're a strong, physical side if they need to be but they can play a bit, and when they came at us it was decisive and with purpose.

Having seen them a few times last season there were many familiar faces this time around and it's evident each man knows his role in the team, they have a settled system and formation that they play.

From our side of things we are still experimenting, learning a different way to play. It's evident the remnants of Adam's team are still stuck in their ways a little. If we are to give youth a chance then these are the types of game that are ideal, I'm not sure the result would've been the same if we would have fielded a full strength starting line up.

Positives were Edwards seems to be a younger Foxy, looks quite calm and collected sat in front of the back three, Lolos looks to be coming on nicely and showed some nice touches and finished well for the goal.

It doesn't look like our wing backs will be doing much defending as they almost played as attacking wingers second half, Moore and McFadzean were pushed right up.

Don't remember seeing a long goal kick all game, it was all play it out from the back, short throws etc.

Negatives would be we look lightweight, not really too sure of the system, a fair few through balls and runs went astray. Not much pace at centre back although I thought they did alright, Torquay when they are on the charge forward are an impressive sight and testament to how Johnson has them playing.

Very good assessment of the game in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2019
... That results in Pre-Season DO NOT MATTER.

It's about learning to play together and getting up to speed fitness wise.

Just last night...

Barnet beat Crystal Palace 6-2.
Barrow beat Morecambe 2-0.
Burton beat Sheffield Utd 2-1.
Eastleigh beat Oxford 3-0.
Ebbsfleet beat Charlton 2-1.

Do not panic - we will not start the season like we have done in previous years, mark my words.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Actually I think we probably will. I'm and optimist and have completely bought into what Ryan Lowe is doing.

However it's going to take some time. I'm not expecting much in the first couple months at least. We need at least one more transfer window.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
After tonight’s game vs Torquay

We need 2 decent centre back and striker

Love to see us sign Jamie Reid

Torquay got some decent players and expect them to be challenging for promotion

Great to see them back on track again lovely football club always a pleasure going to plainmoor

COYGs

Start of a new Era

Mar 23, 2019
When i say we won't start the season like previously, i mean we won't be bottom at Christmas.

It may take until the end of August but we're going places under Lowe.

We still have 2/3 players to come in and the team will be ready to match Crewe on the 3rd of August.

C

Cult Of Personality

Beaten by the Manger who should have got the job. Johnson knows how to win in these divisions. Yes Lowe has a great year at Bury but still lacks experience. I am worried for us this season

Sep 19, 2015
Centre halves not quick enough to play as a three. There is no way that Sawyer, Canavan or Wootton has the legs to be chasing the centre forward into the channels and allowing him to square him up one on one and running at them.

Joel Grant doesn't fit our style of play any more. Can see Conor Grant playing next to Mayor come August.

Slightly concerning that Telford has already been withdrawn from the squad, anybody any idea as to the extent of his issue?

Lolos has a bright future.

Would throw a 50k offer in for Jamie Reid, battered us all game and looked very intelligent in and around the box.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Cult Of Personality":2fkxqsma said:
Beaten by the manager who should have got the job. Johnson knows how to win in these divisions. Yes Lowe has a great year at Bury but still lacks experience. I am worried for us this season

Not sure I could disagree more strongly :lol:

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
How I see it.
We need a Bradley-esque CB possibly 2 and another striker.

Asumming Lowe knows he's going to play most/all of the players he's brought in, these pre seasons are for him to figure out who else from the rest he wants and where.

He has a specific system he wants to play that has been proven to work at this level, he's just finding out what players best fit in to that system.

We may not be perfectly up to scratch come August but I do believe that we will be a lot closer and after a couple months of the season right where he wants the team to be.

I don't believe we've seen any combination of team in these friendlies that will be the starting 11 Against Crewe. Tbth he's been left with a lot of rubbish and has to pick the best from the bunch. Give him time.

Anyone saying "well look how it turned out after losing to Yeovil" Adams had been the manager for years at that point, knew the players, had most of the players that got us promoted and still didn't beat Yeovil, RL has been here a couple weeks, calm down.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
green dreams":1vm20n4g said:
How I see it.

Asumming Lowe knows he's going to play most/all of the players he's brought in, these pre seasons are for him to figure out who else from the rest he wants and where.

He has a specific system he wants to play that has been proven to work at this level, he's just finding out what players best fit in to that system.

We may not be perfectly up to scratch come August but I do believe that we will be a lot closer and after a couple months of the season right where he wants the team to be.

I don't believe we've seen any combination of team in these friendlies that will be the starting 11 Against Crewe. Tbth he's been left with a lot of rubbish and has to pick the best from the bunch. Give him time.

Anyone saying "well look how it turned out after losing to Yeovil" Adams had been the manager for years at that point, knew the players, had most of the players that got us promoted and still didn't beat Yeovil, RL has been here a couple weeks, calm down.
Yes but we beat Torquay tho!!

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
edmonds200":2hl748ul said:
green dreams":2hl748ul said:
How I see it.

Yes but we beat Torquay tho!!

Lol, and should we have had Carey and co yesterday we may well have done so again. I am the ultimate pessimist in general, but a new manager has to be given some time. Some people were still defending Adams even when it was abundantly clear he didn't have a clue. May as well give Lowe some time to sort things out surely?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
After 5 games last season Bury had a record of W1 D1 L3.

Fully expecting a slow start to our season although already got ticket for Crewe. :scarf:

Apr 4, 2004
cheshiregreen":nak5sbkk said:
After 5 games last season Bury had a record of W1 D1 L3.

Fully expecting a slow start to our season although already got ticket for Crewe. :scarf:
Yep spot on. Lowe is right in the deep end here. He must be given time. He is still very much assessing the squad he has inherited. It's going to be superb when it clicks but I think between now and that time we will very much look like a work in progress. Which of course we are.