Torquay v Argyle | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay v Argyle

Aug 5, 2005
edmonds200":177wf11e said:
Argylegames":177wf11e said:
edmonds200":177wf11e said:
His current position is one of enjoying the next 4 years salary

Where from?

The Chairman told the world Mr Adams left without the need to pay him anything. :wave:

ha ha you believe that? You must be from another planet

Why would the chairman have to lie?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
John Cooper":2z018zaq said:
gaspargomez":2z018zaq said:
These defenders were the main reason why Argyle got relegated last season. I’d be very keen to see Canavan, Wooton, Moore, Smith-Brown and Riley shown the door. It’s harsh, but people were complaining about these ydefenders last August and it was blatantly obvious once the season started that they just weren’t good enough.

id keep Riley but add Sawyer to your list of exports....

But it all starts with the central defensive unit. I think any combination of the 3 full-backs might do well in a 3-5-2 with license to get forward. But the the 3 central defenders have to know how to play the system first otherwise we’ll be completely exposed.

No idea how good - or fit - Aimson is, but we need at least one more central defender who can marshall that unit.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Simon Hallett paid off Derek Adams with his own money, he meant the club didn’t have to pay anything.

Jul 18, 2018
Frank_Butcher":1vmia3wv said:
John Cooper":1vmia3wv said:
gaspargomez":1vmia3wv said:
These defenders were the main reason why Argyle got relegated last season. I’d be very keen to see Canavan, Wooton, Moore, Smith-Brown and Riley shown the door. It’s harsh, but people were complaining about these ydefenders last August and it was blatantly obvious once the season started that they just weren’t good enough.

id keep Riley but add Sawyer to your list of exports....

But it all starts with the central defensive unit. I think any combination of the 3 full-backs might do well in a 3-5-2 with license to get forward. But the the 3 central defenders have to know how to play the system first otherwise we’ll be completely exposed.

No idea how good - or fit - Aimson is, but we need at least one more central defender who can marshall that unit.

Smith-Brown will come very good this year. Tafari Moore I think will be OK, Wycombe fans rated him in their league two promotion. Sawyer good for depth as he could fill in at centre back.

Wooton and Canavan both need replacing. Still believe a huge part of what went wrong last year was having centre backs that only had one thing in mind - getting rid of the ball. They struggle to connect a long ball let alone see one

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Gaffer says

I’m disappointed with the result. Happy with some bits of play - passages of play - there were some good signs. We should have scored more goals and we should not have conceded two sloppy goals. The first one is a worldy, no-one is going to take that away from the kid (Armani Little), he smashed it right in the top bin. If you take the result out of it, I’m happy with the way we played but I have said to the lads ‘don’t give it away too cheap 

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Just back from Plainmoor. Good start by Argyle, but not much more to add. Defence looked dodgy all evening and no real punch up front. However, so many changes make any rhythm patchy to say the least. Great turn out from the green Army but Torquay didn’t seem very well prepared.

For those already panicking about results. Have a word with yourselves. Lowe is still putting his squad together. Bury had a pretty abysmal preseason last year and were promoted. The only friendly which means much at all is the Bristol Rovers game at the end of the month.

Jan 30, 2016
Our new manager was looking at the fringe players tonight. I thought that Riley, Lolos and our new no 8, all did well. I'm afraid that there will be a few that get loaned out as a result of
tonights game.
Could we buy their number 20?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Disappointing.

In reality there are three sets of players coming together - those under contract, the youngsters pushed forward and the new signings - all learning a new system under Lowe and against Torquay it showed.

There were some good passages of play, one twos, pass and move, always play the ball to feet and keep the ball moving.

At times we were too gung ho and Torquay exploited it, we couldn't cope with the movement and pace that Torquay have up front.
The system is too open and if the play breaks down up front we have too many players pushed forward and we are left open at the back, it happened time after time against Torquay. Effectively we have 7 or 8 players out of the game if we lose the ball in an attacking position.
The two strikers are out of the game, the two wing backs are so far forward that are out of the game, the left and right midfielders (Sarcevic and J Grant/C Grant) are out of the game and the three centre-backs are spread so far apart the left and right centre-backs are basically full-backs.
So that leaves the sitting midfielder (Edwards) and the central centre-back (Caravan) to face the Torquay strikers running at them.
A better team in League Two will score more than Torquay under this system.

It's risk and reward because we have to hope our attacking play gets the goals, I cant see many games next season finishing 0-0, it will be 3-2 or 4-3 either way.

In the two pre-season games I have seen the two youngsters - Randell and Lolos - have been our best players. Lolos scored a cracking individual goal tonight.

Sarcevic started well and then faded, Joel Grant was a disappointment, I fear for Fletcher, I don't think he has a future under Lowe and was poor tonight.
Smith-Brown got into some good positions on the left and then passed backwards, he's not direct enough. McFadzean was better and more attacking.
Our best position against Torquay was at right wing back with both Riley and Moore playing well, RWB suits Moore.
Wootton did ok and I still believe he will come good this season.

Palmer made a great save in a one-on-one situation but was beaten by a cracking free-kick over his head. He looks ok and his distribution is fast and to feet, he's read the memo!

Overall a work in progress with match fitness the main priority but some players need to step up.
The injury to Mayor is a worry, currently the only injury free player from Bury is McFadzean because Telford dropped out just before kick-off and Aimson is carrying an injury from last season.

After each player was subbed a device was taken from the back of their shirt, this is obviously the performance data ready to be downloaded and analysed.

My thoughts on the evening.

Aimson is needed at CB as soon as possible
Sawyer struggled against their pace
Peck isn't big enough or old enough yet
Lolos has a real touch of class about him, definitely a player in there
Man of the match - Edwards - we looked
a bit lost when he went off. Great player!
Both wingbacks were clinging to the touch line, always an option. Riley looked more comfortable out there than ASB.

Can't wait to see Mayor fit & in a green shirt, need some flair.
The new rule with subs leaving by the closest touchline is so strange, seeing players wandering around the side of the pitch is going to take some getting used to!

Nov 2, 2004
Some positives tonight. Edwards looks useful,Riley and Canavan did well.Connor grant looked good and surprisingly Wootton looked much fitter than last year.Lots of negatives Smith Brown is way to slow and negative to play wing back,Peck is like a Schoolboy playing against men, Sawyer was awful and Sercevic looked a bit lost.Saving grace is that the starting eleven will look nothing like tonights team.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Devongreenowl":29jk8aah said:
Just back from Plainmoor. Good start by Argyle, but not much more to add. Defence looked dodgy all evening and no real punch up front. However, so many changes make any rhythm patchy to say the least. Great turn out from the green Army but Torquay didn’t seem very well prepared.

For those already panicking about results. Have a word with yourselves. Lowe is still putting his squad together. Bury had a pretty abysmal preseason last year and were promoted. The only friendly which means much at all is the Bristol Rovers game at the end of the month.
As you say, RL is still putting his squad together. I’m sure he would not read the opinions of Pasoti posters but, if he did, he would know what many of us think should be an essential acquisition; a tall, dominant, mobile centre back. Most teams at League 1 and 2 seem to have one.
I really hope that he has someone lined up as, from tonight’s feedbacks, it seems to confirm that that is one of our main priorities.

Mar 14, 2009
So just back myself

The Postives

- Edwards looks like a good player. The way he spreads the ball is top notch

- Lolos looked good at times. Think he had a much better first half, than second, but showed some nice touches and a good finish

- Sarcevic had a good first half. One or two moments where he turned and drove with the ball at his feet. Second half C Grant came on and his composure on the ball looked good and very good use of ball. Think he will be excellent in Lowe's system

- Riley played really well at right wing back. He got forward well. Put in some decent crosses.

- Created numerous half chances. Had a lot of the ball tonight. There is real endeavour to get forward

The Negatives

- The first goal was a worldly. What do you do about about? However, the second goal was sloppy marking all round. And the third was just bizarre. I mean to leave only Moore back like that was suicidal. We allowed them to break too easily. When they get exposed from a similar situation first half they committed a "professional foul" and stop any chance of us breaking on them. We need to get cuter with our defending.

- ASB at wing back I am not convinced about. I was hoping it would suit him more but for me he wasnt doing enough in forward postions. When Macfadzean came on I felt we had more of a cutting edge offensively.

- The back 3. Just too indecsive for me. Torquay would break on us and we would re-treat and allow them to get in behind us too many times. Reid caused us some real issues. For example, a ball was played behind Sawyer and Reid got in behind him and Sawyer made a tackle. Personally dont think he got the ball and it should have been a penalty. There were other times that Torquay players got in behind like the good save Palmer had to make in first half when one of their players was one on one.

- Lack of Pace. They hurt us on the counter and our lack of pace, especially defensively, exposed us no end. If we going to play a high line I'm not sure you can have Canavan and Sawyer in that back 3.

To sum up. It was a good game of football. Torquay are well organised and have a good group of players it appears. Their no20 on the right side of midfield was a proper handful and also had a strong physique about him. However, It was good for Argyle because teams will come at us and press. We did get caught as few times with the ball. Torquay also had pace and we will face counter attacks like we did tonight. I'm not sure Torquay will face teams in the national league who play as open and with such a high line as Argyle. Teams will be more combative.

We need a decent CB. Maybe even two. Maybe one more forward too because I am not sure Jephcott and Fletcher are gonna give us enough of an impact at league two.

I really enjoyed the football tonight though. We played to win. Played with a postive attitude. The pre-season games before under Adams have been very dull. The way we try to play out from the back and link up play is very interesting and exciting. We all want Argyle to start really well this season but unfortuately playing this type of football you need the right personnal. In his first 6 months as Bury manager the results didnt come. Unfortuately, it takes time and patience to play this brand of football. Some of the players tonight who signed under Adams I am convinced will be moved on. However, this cant happen overnight so we have to stick out the difficult times and bide our time in the hope it will come together eventually.

Sep 1, 2008
To me the first half seemed totally different than the 2nd.
All through the first half we never seemed to try and break quickly, it was almost like they had been told that every time we gain the ball we reset, get the ball to canavan and let them get back, so we can try and play all the way through and break them down. Almost as though lowe wanted it to be a training session.
2nd half we looked a lot more positive with c grant, wootton and moore linking up on one side and macfadzean bombing down the other, but we lacked the final ball or that bit of magic to create the chance.

Lots for lowe to consider and some good performances from some of the youth.

Feb 23, 2008
Gary Johnson has Torquay playing a decent brand of football, they're a strong, physical side if they need to be but they can play a bit, and when they came at us it was decisive and with purpose.

Having seen them a few times last season there were many familiar faces this time around and it's evident each man knows his role in the team, they have a settled system and formation that they play.

From our side of things we are still experimenting, learning a different way to play. It's evident the remnants of Adam's team are still stuck in their ways a little. If we are to give youth a chance then these are the types of game that are ideal, I'm not sure the result would've been the same if we would have fielded a full strength starting line up.

Positives were Edwards seems to be a younger Foxy, looks quite calm and collected sat in front of the back three, Lolos looks to be coming on nicely and showed some nice touches and finished well for the goal.

It doesn't look like our wing backs will be doing much defending as they almost played as attacking wingers second half, Moore and McFadzean were pushed right up.

Don't remember seeing a long goal kick all game, it was all play it out from the back, short throws etc.

Negatives would be we look lightweight, not really too sure of the system, a fair few through balls and runs went astray. Not much pace at centre back although I thought they did alright, Torquay when they are on the charge forward are an impressive sight and testament to how Johnson has them playing.